The Black Crowes

FWIW, the kickstarter project has been pulled down. They'd only raised 2k or so after the first week, and it was clearly not going as they'd hoped. I love Rich and wish him nothing but the best with his solo venture, but hopefully he'll start getting some better career advice soon.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No one gave any money, they just pledged it. They only collect the pledges if the goal is met. Rich's manager had a long post to the public on Rich's Facebook page explaining the whole situation. He talked Rich into the Kickstarter campaign and Rich reluctantly went along, apparently. Rich's manager has quit over this incident. I'd guess that Rich is really embarrassed and regrets the whole deal. I wonder if the European tour is off now? It doesn't seem that financially feasible for him to do his own headlining tour over there, its too expensive and he just doesn't have enough of a draw on his own. Maybe he should just stick to the States for awhile?

Yeah it baffles me that there seems to be a far greater response from Crowes fans to the Chris Robinson Brotherhood than there is to Rich's album and tour. I think Rich's album is fantastic and while the CRB is okay, its waaaay too hippie jam band mid temp shuffles for my current tastes. Unfortunately, I don't think Rich would have very good turnouts in Europe. Many Crowes fans seem to still have a problem with his vocals (which are much improved, to my ears) and most seem uninterested in Rich's solo stuff (based on what I've read on the message boards and the folks I know personally). Meanwhile CRB has been touring non-stop and selling out lots of shows multiple times in the same cities. I guess there will always be a bunch of fans starving for anything that sounds like and/or is connected to the Grateful Dead (and I was a Deadhead for many years).

Rich has always been my guy in the Crowes. In a band of stellar musicians and interesting personalities, he's always been my favorite. Chris may have the iconic voice, but those songs, those chord progressions, that "sound" is Rich to the core.

That being said, I would imagine that the vast majority of average Black Crowes fans (not die-hard obsessives like the ones who post on internet forums) think of the Black Crowes as Chris' band, and his presence is enough to warrant a ticket or two for the solo revue, whereas Rich is the "brother who plays guitar," ya know?

Rich's (now former) manager posted a resignation note on Facebook apologizing to the fans for the misguided Kickstarter campaign (while simultaneously getting some passive-aggressive digs at the fans as well). He noted that Rich had been against the idea from the beginning, and who knows if that's true, but it's nice to think that Rich would recognize the potential backlash in such an ill-conceived venture.

• 1 month later...

Good Crowes shows in 2005, off the top of my head:

The Fillmore, SF run especially 8-5-05, 8-10-05 and the night with the horn section that was released as the DVD Into The Fog

The Fonda Theater, LA run especially the last night 10-23-05, the Sunday service that opens with Stare It Cold>Thick 'n' Thin and has great versions of Seeing Things and Sister Luck. 10-22-05 is also very good with killer versions of Neil Young's LA, the Allmans' Dreams and Dylan's Girl From The North Country.

12-30-05 Providence, RI was excellent, too.

Most definitely pick up 8-1-06 Columbus, OH. Its not 2005, but Mark Ford is BLAZING in the second set, especially on Got To Get Better In A Little While and Steady Rollin' Man. Nice acoustic first set, too. Maybe the best show of 2006.

All of these were available from Instant Live, fwiw.

How could I forget 5-14-2005 Hampton Beach, NH? Dude, this show fucking rips!!!! There is a long jam>Black Moon Creeping that has got to be one of the very best ones ever. Sick intense jamming all the way through, just one of those nights when something got into them and the stars aligned for unsurpassed musical magic. I'd recommend this one above all the others that I mentioned above. And the Instant Live recording is flawless.

Virtue and Vice

Go Faster

Jam>Black Moon Creeping

Crash On The Levee>jam>

Nebakanezer

Ballad In Urgency>jam>

Wiser Time

Jam>Thorn's Progress> Thorn In My Pride

Sometimes Salvation

Space Captain

Nonfiction>jam>

Evil Eye

No Speak No Slave

E: She Talks To Angels

Torn and Frayed

When I was looking at my list, I ran across the show I have from when they were recording at Levon Helm's barn. Too bad it is Mp3 sourced. If I had caught it on bt.etree.org before it was pulled, I could have got the FLACs.

I have not looked in a while, but it must be out there somewhere. Because of that show, all the BC shows got pulled from bt.etree.org for a time.

Their last few albums are about the only new music I have really got into over the past few years.

i went to this one. nice 3-hour show...

20 September 2005 - Farmer's Market - Oklahoma City, OK

Sept 20, 2005 - Farmer's Market, Oklahoma City

- Set One -

No Speak No Slave

Nebakanezer

Hard To Handle -> Jam

Soul Singing -> Jam

L.A. (1st time played - Neil Young)

She Talks To Angels

Downtown Money Waster ->

Share The Ride ->

Mellow Down Easy

Forever Young

Jam -> Thorn In My Pride

- Set Two -

Song Of Love

She Gave Good Sunflower

By Your Side

Ride On A Pony (1st time played - Free)

Ballad In Urgency ->

Wiser Time

Jealous Again

Twice As Hard

Oh Well

- encore -

Remedy

They played Ride On A Pony quite a few times in 2005, really a great cover. Its on one of the last two nights at Fonda Theater, for sure.

Also any version of Rich singing lead on Pink Floyd's Fearless from that year is worth listening to.

2005 is my favorite year for live Black Crowes: Mark Ford was back and just blazing every night, they were doing long two set shows most of the year, there were tons of great covers that they often played better than the originals, IMO, and we got to hear what some of the songs from By Your Side and Lions sounded like with Mark Ford on lead guitar (he wasn't in the band for the studio recordings) and they pulled out some of their lesser known/unreleased songs like Paint An 8.

I definitely wish I'd gone to more shows in 2005 and 2006, I should've realized that it wouldn't last forever. Almost every show was well recorded and officially released, so at least we have that going for us.

Someone is also re-seeding the 1997 Furthur shows on bt.etree.org.

I have not listened to By Your Side in years and years. I actually put on Lions the other day. It's funny to see a download card in the cd case. I had to idea what that was about at the time.

Some news about the new Chris album:

The Chris Robinson Brotherhood have announced the release of their debut studio album, titled Big Moon Ritual, due out June 5 via Silver Arrow/Megaforce Record. The album is produced by Thom Monahan (Vetiver, Devendra Banhart, Papercuts) and will be followed by a companion release, The Magic Door, in September. You can view the Big Moon Ritual tracklisting below. “This music is unashamedly what we’re into,” says Robinson. “It’s not a psych band because you have a Prince Valiant haircut and wear Beatle boots. It’s psych because that’s where our heads are. We want to make music that blossoms. We want to make music that sounds cosmic.”

Big Moon Ritual Tracklisting:

Tulsa Yesterday

Rosalee

Star Or Stone

Tomorrow Blues

Reflections On A Broken Mirror

Beware, Oh Take Care

One Hundred Days Of Rain

• 2 months later...

http://theaudioperv.com/2012/06/06/chris-robinson-brotherhood-rosalee-65-leno/

Chris' band was on Leno last night - decent tune. The band will be playing a weekend street fair here in Chicago in a couple of weeks - $10 - can't beat it.

Actually the last time I went the Taste of Randolph Street was to see Son Volt.

Probably will buy the new record - I don't have any of his other solo stuff.

I have not listened to New Earth Mud or This Magnificent Distance in a long time.

I figure I'll get the new one - along with Rich's album, and the Trigger Hippy Album.

I'm going to the Chicago show too, but I think you can beat it! They are opening for Wilco and the concert is free! July 7th in Sioux Falls.

:lol True - but the Chicago show is15 minutes from me. That Sioux Falls gig would have been a no brainer for my wife and I a couple of years ago - damn kids... :lol :monkey

Just picked up Chris' new one and finally Rich's over lunch - listening to Rich's now.