The Black Crowes

calvino, I'll be interested to read what you have to say about the two records when you have some impressions and time to share them, if you are so inclined. Might take a few listens for the brilliance of Rich's to sink in! It might be considered kinda subtle, but I found it to be a grower.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

calvino, I'll be interested to read what you have to say about the two records when you have some impressions and time to share them, if you are so inclined. Might take a few listens for the brilliance of Rich's to sink in! It might be considered kinda subtle, but I found it to be a grower.

I listened to both at work (on a boom box) - both sounded good, not sure if like one better than the other, yet. I did enjoy the tone of Rich's guitar, especially on the last two songs. Definitely need to listen to them again on the home system.

The packaging on Chris cd leaves a lot to be desired - a card board sleeve and a disc. I guess the artwork looks cool. Usually I don't bitch about such things, but for some reason it bugged me. :lol

I picked up CRB yesterday. Love it. The dead are all over this thing. I got the bonus cd too by buying at an independent store which is neat. Anyway, it is still sinking in. I haven't heard any of these songs prior to yesterday, but the initial listen was awesome.

The packaging is really week - they didn't even put the title or band name on the binding!

I picked up CRB yesterday. Love it. The dead are all over this thing. I got the bonus cd too by buying at an independent store which is neat. Anyway, it is still sinking in. I haven't heard any of these songs prior to yesterday, but the initial listen was awesome.

That's what I get for buying it at Best Buy - though I don't think CRB is hip enough for my local store to carry. What is on the bonus cd?

That's what I get for buying it at Best Buy - though I don't think CRB is hip enough for my local store to carry. What is on the bonus cd?

Covers:

Blue Suede Shoes

Girl I Love You

Bright Lights Big City

I think I may be the only one - but I don't "hear" much Dead on the CRB record - maybe a bit of Wake of the Flood era, but that's it.

Sure the songs are a bit long, but I wouldn't equate that with the Dead. I do enjoy it quite a bit, though.

I think I like Rich's better, though - better songs, plus I can listen to him play guitar all day and I think it's produced a lot better than CRB. He is no Chris, but I think Rich's voice is decent enough. Wish I would have caught his Chicago gig. I do have a tape of the show - need to listen it.

Listening to "final stand" in SF December 2010...they were rocking for sure.......Covers are too good...Stones, Beatles, Neil, Floyd (Fearless sick).

They need to get back together...this Solo shit is like 50% at best.

Yep, Rich has really come into his own as a songwriter, I believe. I mean, we know he can write killer riffs and rock music, but his melodies and lyrics are really very very good to my ears. I love his latest solo record. And his vocals have come a long way, too. There is a lot of subtlety in his music and I'd be hard-pressed to say the same thing about Chris' Brotherhood. I just wish Rich toured as much as CRB does...

I think I may be the only one - but I don't "hear" much Dead on the CRB record - maybe a bit of Wake of the Flood era, but that's it.

Sure the songs are a bit long, but I wouldn't equate that with the Dead. I do enjoy it quite a bit, though.

I hear it in the guitar playing and extended instrumental sections. Not necessarily just because of song length.

I'm going to the Chicago show too, but I think you can beat it! They are opening for Wilco and the concert is free! July 7th in Sioux Falls.

Did you make it to the show last night? I didn't make it up there.

Yes. It was a great time. You can't really beat the setup (oh wait - Sioux Falls). $10 to watch a 2 hour show. Great weather too.

Came out to Let's Go Let's Go Let's go and were grooving until the power went out in the middle of the song. After a 5-10 minute break they came back out and played a solid set. Couple covers, couple NEM songs made for a fun set. I did find myself wishing that all the originals weren't so generic in their structure where there is a breakdown in the middle of the song before it builds back up again.

Set included: Let's Go, Tomorrow Blues, Star or Stone, Tumbleweed in Eden, Ride, Sunday Sound, Tulsa Yesterday, Rosalee, Got Love If You Want It, Never Been to Spain, Little Lizzie Mae

There were a lot of people taking in the set. I bet he drew a fair amount, but the festival itself draws in most folks. Certainly there were way more people checking it out than would have seen CRB perform at Lincoln Hall again.

i still haven't picked this up, but from what i've heard, it's great. i love this kind of stuff. i wish he was hitting atlanta, GA. they'll probably tour again in late fall.

• 2 months later...

The second one is coming out in a couple of weeks:

Chris Robinson Brotherhood

The Magic Door

1. Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go

2. Someday Past the Sunset

3. Appaloosa

4. Vibration & Light Suite

5. Little Lizzie Mae

6. Sorrows of a Blue Eyed Liar

7. Wheel Don't Roll

i want to hear that tune vibration and light suite. i'm surprised to see chris re-record appaloosa. good song. the first album was okay, but i got bored with it pretty quick. loved the cover art. i think it's a little cheap to put out a 7 song album...they're probably all 10 min of guitar jams.

from the CRB web site:

The Magic Door contains seven songs: six originals--“Someday Past The Sunset,” “Vibration & Light Suite,” “Appaloosa,” “Little Lizzie Mae,” “Sorrows Of A Blue Eyed Liar” and “Wheel Don't Roll”--plus a cover of Hank Ballard’s “Let’s Go, Let’s Go, Let’s Go,” a CRB set list staple. The songs (written by ROBINSON, with Neal Casal on “Wheel Don’t Roll” and Casal and Adam MacDougal on “Sorrows Of A Blue Eyed Liar”) are all free flowing and some lengthy, with “Vibration & Light Suite” clocking in at 13:56. This is music that is in no hurry to reach its destination but firmly knows where it is going and the speed at which it is traveling. On the album as on the road, ROBINSON continues to grow as a guitarist alongside guitarist Neal Casal. “I look at music as a conversation and Neal's a very eloquent speaker on guitar and I'm just trying to keep the conversation interesting.”

They are calling Appaloosa an original? Little Lizzie Mae is Crowes too..."Little Lizzie Mae is one of only two original songs recorded at the Cabin Fever sessions that did not make either album." It is on the Black Crowes' Cabin Fever DVD. CD seems to add up to 50+ minutes though, so I don't have a problem with it only being 7 tracks...

• 1 month later...

Finally got to see these guys, and it was a very enjoyable show in a tiny venue, an old theatre that seats less than 500. Very odd but enthusiastic crowd, kind of like some of the Wilco theatre shows: mixed between the sitters and standers. After the first tune, which was somewhat mid-tempo, Chris Robinson said, "I know there are different customs in different places, but ya'll can get up and dance if you want." After that, about half the place got up and pretty much stayed up, but there were pockets of sitters throughout the show.

Probably blasphemy to say this in the Black Crowes thread, but as an old Deadhead type, I actually dig this band better than the Crowes. It's just more up my alley musically, although I enjoy a fair amount of the Crowes too. I haven't purchased the 2 discs yet, because I wanted to see their set without really knowing what to expect, and it surpassed my expectations. I would like to hear their CDs now as well as see them again if they come back around. A big draw for me was the fact that Neal Casal is in the band. I'm a huge fan of his solo work, owning just about everything he's ever done, and I got to meet up with him outside after the show and get an autograph. Not something I would usually do, but just wanted to meet him.

I don't swear to the accuracy of the setlist, but this was posted on their Facebook page this morning:

10/20/12 - Capitol Theatre, Clearwater, FL

Set I

Try Rock 'n Roll (Frank Motley cover)

Tomorrow Blues

Meanwhile In The Gods…

Crash On The Levee (Bob Dylan cover)

Reflections On A Broken Mirror

Star or Stone

Vibration & Light Suite

Silver Car

Set II

100 Days of Rain

Never Been To Spain (Hoyt Axton cover)

Sunday Sound

Appaloosa (Black Crowes)

West L.A. Fadeaway (Grateful Dead cover)

Ride

Rosalee

E:

Tumbleweed In Eden

Hello L.A. Bye Bye Birmingham (Delaney Bramlett cover)