The Black Crowes

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

West LA! great cover. chris is definitely a deadhead. his choice of dead covers is so cool. i missed them when they came through atlanta. wonder if they'll keep it going or the crowes will do something next year.

Saw the show is South Florida (Culture Room)...great venue been there 20 times.

Band was OK, Chris was OK. Was a little shocked that he had a songbook up on stage and was reading the lines from it. Seemed like he did not know the lyrics to his own songs (ala Bruce) but it was so obvious and he would turn the pages during and after all songs.

The band is pretty tight, the material was OK.

In my opinion the Black Crowes are 100% better.

I watched a stream of part of the Telluride Blues and Brews fest a few weeks ago and was pretty impress with the CRB. Right up my alley, as well. Likely catch him for NYE out here. Gotta say the lead guitarist reminds me a bit of Marc Ford with the slide guitar riffs and all.

Wow, suites, bummer that you had a less than enjoyable experience at the show. For me, not being a huge Crowes fan, it was a bit of a revelation...kind of like the surprise I felt a few years back when Ryan Adams started getting all Dead-ish, except I enjoyed this live.

Thanks to that show, and downloading their first disc afterwards, I've got a new #2 band (behind Wilco)...maybe not of all time, but of what's out there now. I really dug these guys as a live unit, especially Neal and the keyboard player.

I'm not a big fan of CRB, even though I'm a Deadhead. Its seems a bit too lazy for me, not enough driving energy in it. I might have said it before here, but IMO it takes quite a special band to pull off the Dead's midtempo shuffles and make them sound energetic and for me, this band just doesn't have that elusive quality. I'm not a big fan of Neal Casal or Adam McDougal, they just aren't aggressive enough in their solos for my tastes. I'm a bit surprised, lammycat, to hear you compare the laid back grooving of Casal to the aggressive attack of Marc Ford's playing. To me its like night and day in Ford's favor. I think its great that people who are digging the CRB vibe get so many chances to see him play. Me, on the other hand, I sit here wishing like crazy that Rich Robinson would tour a lot more with his current band. What I'd really like is for them to be ready to get the Crowes back together, although I don't see that happening anytime soon. Chris and Rich are better when they are together than solo, IMO, but when it comes to their solo stuff right now, Rich is light years ahead of his older brother for my tastes. Rich still wants to rock and Chris seems to want to only be a mellow folk rock hippie. I find it kinda boring.

I'm not a big fan of CRB, even though I'm a Deadhead. Its seems a bit too lazy for me, not enough driving energy in it. I might have said it before here, but IMO it takes quite a special band to pull off the Dead's midtempo shuffles and make them sound energetic and for me, this band just doesn't have that elusive quality. I'm not a big fan of Neal Casal or Adam McDougal, they just aren't aggressive enough in their solos for my tastes. I'm a bit surprised, lammycat, to hear you compare the laid back grooving of Casal to the aggressive attack of Marc Ford's playing. To me its like night and day in Ford's favor. I think its great that people who are digging the CRB vibe get so many chances to see him play. Me, on the other hand, I sit here wishing like crazy that Rich Robinson would tour a lot more with his current band. What I'd really like is for them to be ready to get the Crowes back together, although I don't see that happening anytime soon. Chris and Rich are better when they are together than solo, IMO, but when it comes to their solo stuff right now, Rich is light years ahead of his older brother for my tastes. Rich still wants to rock and Chris seems to want to only be a mellow folk rock hippie. I find it kinda boring.

Ford blows the guy away, but I saw only 3 tunes from the streamed set and 2 had slide leads in them. While the tempo was relatively slow, it reminded me a little of some of Ford's slide work ((Soul Singing came to mind).I liked the laid back vibe of what I saw/heard. One yune in particular about going to Oklahoma not Arizona or something.

Never Been To Spain (Hoyt Axton - Three Dog Night)

I agree. But - I'd say Marc has burned all his bridges there.

I'd imagine so. He's not even legally allowed to comment on his last brief return stint with BCs.

Oh, yeah, Marc is never going back to the Crowes, that is for sure. I think its mutual, they don't want him and he doesn't want them, from what I can tell. It'd be very hard to find a guy that plays similar to him and I don't even think they want to do that. Steve Gorman, being the diplomatic guy he is, stated recently that he likes all the guitarists they've ever had, but his favorite will always be the current guy or the last guy they played with and that if there is ever a Crowes reunion, first choice would go to Luther Dickinson at this point. If he didn't want to do it, then they'd have to look for someone else. I think Luther and Casal are fairly similar players in mood/tone etc. The days of the Crowes being a hard rocking band are gone for good, I'm afraid. It'll for sure never be like this:

I wasn't familiar with Station Man before I heard in on Rich's record - great, great tune. I haven't listened to his latest CD in a while, need to dig it out.

I did go to a Best Buy (looking for the Gov't Mule box set, without any luck) and saw Chris's latest cd, but I didn't buy it.

Totally flaked out on CRB's two Chicago shows last month or so - heard the tapes and thought they sounded good.

that video from 92 is great! i saw them that year. i hadn't loved a 'new' album in years until southern harmony. i remember that show being the loudest i've ever seen by any band. they played dreams by allman brothers.

what i remember about that period is Chris going on mtv and saying he doesn't smoke weed etc. then at the show they unveil this giant pot leaf mural:) didn't christ have to stop because of exhaustion after this tour too?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It appears the hiatus is over:

The Black Crowes 2013 Tour Dates:

03.24 – Manchester, UK/Manchester Academy
03.25 – Birmingham, UK/o2 Academy
03.27 – Glasgow, UK/o2 Academy
03.29 – London, UK/The HMV Forum
03.30 – London, UK/The HMV Forum
04.02 – Port Chester, NY/The Capitol Theater
04.03 – Port Chester, NY/The Capitol Theater
04.05 – New York, NY/Terminal 5
04.06 – New York, NY/Terminal 5
04.08 – Washington D.C./9:30 Club
04.09 – Washington D.C./9:30 Club
04.11 – Boston, MA/House of Blues
04.12 – Philadelphia, PA/Electric Factory
04.14 – Detroit, MI/The Fillmore Detroit
04.16 – Chicago, IL/The Vic
04.17 – Chicago, IL/The Vic
04.19 – St. Louis, MO/The Pageant
04.20 – Nashville, TN/Ryman Auditorium
04.21 – Nashville, TN/Ryman Auditorium
04.23 – Atlanta, GA/The Tabernacle
04.25 – Dallas, TX/House of Blues
04.27 – Austin, TX/Stubb’s Waller Creek Amphitheater
04.28 – Houston, TX/House of Blues
04.30 – St. Petersburg, FL/The Mahaffey
05.01 – Lake Buena Vista, FL/House of Blues
05.04 – New Orleans, LA/Mahalia Jackson Theater For The Performing Arts

Heard this from seven people this AM already!  Thanks for the update, Analogman.  We think we'll do two nights in Chicago, but seeing them at the Ryman is also tempting.  Is the Vic all seated or this there a standing area up front?

Heard this from seven people this AM already!  Thanks for the update, Analogman.  We think we'll do two nights in Chicago, but seeing them at the Ryman is also tempting.  Is the Vic all seated or this there a standing area up front?

Vic has a g.a. seated balcony - floor is open.

I wonder if Luther and Sven will be coming back?

Good question.  I hope so, I think they'd lose momentum if they had to get another new guitarist to find chemistry with.  Sven is so solid, damn fine bass playing in an under-the-radar way.  I will be disappointed if they go with Neal Casal over Luther for whatever reasons, but I wouldn't be surprised, either.  I have a feeling that Chris tends to get his way and Rich probably goes with the flow.  He might've learned that it isn't worth it to fight what Chris wants.  That's pure speculation based on no real facts, just my impression.

Thanks, Calvino, for the info on the Vic.  That's what I wanted to hear.  I want to be on my feet without chairs at a Crowes show.  Chicago here we come!  Are there separate floor and balcony fix (i.e you can't go on the floor if you have balcony tix)?  I'd hope so, as to keep the floor from becoming excessively crowded.