The Black Crowes

I gave them two shows! I do hope they keep switching it up. I know two shows doesn't tell the whole story, but I think we'll have a good idea after week 1 where this is going.

Still looking like Sho 'Nuff 1998 tour to me. 35 songs including 7 covers over 5 shows w/ an average song count of 18 songs. I think I'm going to scale back to one show instead of two.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they played Feathers.

The Black Crowes
04-02-2013 (Tues)
The Capitol Theater
Port Chester, New York

t01) Twice As Hard
t02) Sting Me
t03) Thick And Thin
t04) Hotel Illness
t05) Medicated Goo
t06) Ballad In Urgency>
t07) Jam>
t08) Wiser Time
t09) She Talks To Angels*
t10) Whoa Mule#
t11) High Head Blues
t12) Soul Singing
t13) Thorn In My Pride
t14) Remedy
t15) Jealous Again
t16) Been A Long Time (Waiting On Love)
t17) E1: Feathers
t18) E2: Hard To Handle> Hush> Hard To Handle

* Jackie Greene on mandolin
# Jackie Greene on banjo

Last night they added Halfway To Everywhere and She Gave Good Sunflower to the current lineup's repertoire. And Sister Luck and Descending have been played several times each. I'd say that's not too bad for just a few shows in with a new guitar player. I'm thinking they'll be slowly adding in more songs as they go. I'm getting some good reports from friends about the quality of the playing, the band's energy and Chris' vocals being strong. Jackie seems to be playing leads that sound more like early 70s Clapton to me. And that's a good thing for me!

http://youtu.be/teXlqbbfdpk

How long has it been since The Black Crowes toured with another band?

THE BLACK CROWES and TEDESCHI TRUCKS BAND have announced a co-headlining tour, with special guests The London Souls, running July 19 in Nashville, TN through August 15 in Rochester Hills, MI. Tickets go on sale Friday, April 12 at 10:00AM local (except for Nashville, which goes on sale Friday, April 26).

They are also going to play some shows with Bruce Springsteen.

Aug 14 - Chicago, IL - Charter One Pavilion

Since I skipped Vic shows - I guess it's good that they are coming back in August - hopefully ticket prices aren't that bad. Would love to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band, too.

How long has it been since The Black Crowes toured with another band?

They are also going to play some shows with Bruce Springsteen.

They did that tour in 2006 opening for Tom Petty and they also did a headlining tour with Drive By Truckers and Robert Randolph that year. 2001 (I think) was pretty weak for Crowes and I heard they hated it, but thed did that "famously fighting brothers" co-headlining tour with Oasis.

Since I skipped Vic shows - I guess it's good that they are coming back in August - hopefully ticket prices aren't that bad. Would love to see the Tedeschi Trucks Band, too.

London Souls are opening that tour, too, a pretty sweet triple bill, I'd say.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught the show at the Vic last night. It was a lot of fun. The setlist has gradually expanded since the European leg. I've seen them 20+ times so the only songs new to me were the covers: Hush, Street Fighting Man, Medicated Goo, but I thought that they did a good job of mixing the hits with some deeper cuts. 

Jackie isn't going to cut it long term. I'm not a Marc Ford freak. I enjoyed the band with Audley, Luther and Paul Stacey. Jackie just doesn't seem to have the feel of the lead guitar role. 

full report tomorrow, but I went to both nights of Chicago and night one was pretty good, about what I was expecting, nothing thats gonna make me want to fly all over the country to see again and again (by the way the Stones bustout was the first time they every played Jumpin Jack Flash, not Street Fighting Man)

Night two, on the other hand was ON FIRE!!!!!  I mean, it was as good as any show I've seen since Marc Ford left.  They were truly feelin' it, smiles and chemistry and energy and passion all night.  Jackie was WAY more animated and aggressive on night two.  The set list was a dream come true for me.  There is still some magic left in this old band!

Chicago night one started out slow and tentative, not that exciting, but it started picking up steam at it went on.  Desecending is always a favorite for me, so I was thrilled, even if Adam McDougall still basically ruins the piano solo in it (and is even worse in Wiser Time).  Going into Jumpin' Jack Flash was thrilling for the hardcores, a first time ever played by the Crowes.

Jackie played mandolin on She Talks To Angels and I think on Tonight, too. Jackie and Chris did the backing vocals on Tonight I'll Be Staying (Sven might've been in the vocal mix, but Rich def. was not) and it sounded damn fine, I was way impressed they way their voices blended. Jackie's guitar solo on Sometimes Salvation was his best of the night. He played a baby blue Gibson SG on that song and on the Stones bustout Jumpin' Jack Flash. Rich also played an SG on that song and both of 'em were getting a real good Mick Taylor-ish tone.  Hush was really good, too, its such a great classic rock riff and there is nobody better at playing a sincere and inspired version of any classic rock chestnut than the Black Crowes. I was excited for the two songs (How Much For Your Wings and Bring On Bring On) from 3 Snakes in the encore, too, nice compositions that are pleasing to the hardcores. Rich's singing has come a long way in the last 10 years and he was sounding mighty fine on these two songs.  What I missed most was the backing singers.  They bring out the sweet Southern soulfulness in the music and I miss them when they arent there.

I also felt that Jackie is not loud enough in the mix.  He's got the ability to let loose in a style that I prefer to Luther's rounded, smoothed out slide/finger picking, but he needs to be cut through more.  Not sure if that is his playing or the mix, but he rocked out a lot more on night two.

Night two had a good vibe for me from even before the show started.  The crowd felt happier and more excited and when the band came out, I felt it from them, too, lots of smiles on their faces and they were hot right out of the gate.  The show was packed with favorites of mine: Feelin' Alright, My Morning Song, Stare It Cold, Ballad In Urgency, Title Song!, Nonfiction, Oh Sweet Nuthin', Boomer's Story.  And even the songs I'm tired of, like Remedy and Thorn In My Pride seemed to come alive again for me with inspired ensemble-type jamming.    Oh Sweet Nuthin was a longer arrangement than in the past, with a Jackie solo after verse/chorus 1, a Rich solo after verse/chorus 2 and then after doing a third chorus, where they'd typically end the song, they built up to a big crescendo as an ensemble before bringing it gently back to earth and then sending us home with an excellent Boomer's Story, the great Ry Cooder train hobo song. Chris and Rich's vocals on this one blew me away.  With Rich's singing so improved and Chris in fine voice, it was getting close to the same league as some other famous brother vocal duets.

I was kinda hoping for Sister Luck and Seeing Things and maybe Space Captain or Another Roadside Tragedy, which have all been played recently, but I was floating on air all through the show even without 'em.

I agree with the folks that think the Crowes is basically Chris, Rich and Steve and hired guns, especially in the keyboard and guitar slots.  I don't think any line up will have much permanence ever again and I don't know if they have any plans at all beyond this year.  I wouldn't be surprised if they just did shows in 2013 and then took another break to go back to their solo projects.  But they are still playing well enough for me to go see them.  They are past their prime, IMO, but they are still playing at a high level and there is just no one else doing what they do and I love that stuff so much.  I'm still on the bus.

Folks going to Ryman shows this weekend are lucky, especially the acoustic show on Sunday.

It looks like these shows were something to see:

Peter Frampton sat in with The Black Crowes last night at during the first show of their two-night run at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium. The legendary guitarist joined the band toward the end of the set for a rendition of Traffic’s “Medicated Goo,” followed by “Thorn In My Pride” and “Appaloosa.” Frampton then stuck around for one more tune, which happened to be the Crowes’ debut cover of Humble Pie’s first single “Natural Born Bugie.” The song was recorded in 1969, when Frampton was with the band. The Black Crowes then encored with back to covers of The Rolling Stones’ “Jumpin Jack Flash” and “Happy.”

Jealous Again
Thick N' Thin
Hotel Illness
My Morning Song -> Stare It Cold -> My Morning Song
Ballad In Urgency ->
Wiser Time
She Talks To Angels
Medicated Goo
Thorn In My Pride
Appaloosa
Natural Born Boogie
Remedy
Hard To Handle -> Hush -> Hard To Handle
- encore -
Descending ->
Jumpin' Jack Flash
Happy

A slew of guests sat in with The Black Crowes at Nashville, TN’s Ryman Auditorium last night. The evening was billed as an“and special guests show” and also featured an uncharacteristically diverse setlist for the band.

Newgrass mandolin innovator Sam Bush emerged a few songs into The Black Crowes set for “Whoa Mule” and returned several times throughout the evening for takes on “My Heart’s Killing Me,” a Rich Robinson-sung version of Traffic’s “Feelin’ Alright,” “Cash On The Barrelhead,” “Garden Gate,” “Deep River Blues” and “Boomer’s Story.”

Former Black Crowes guitarist and area resident Audley Freed also rejoined his old band for “Feelin’ Alright” and “Boomer’s Story” while singer/songwriter Chuck Mead supplied lead vocals on “Cash On The Barrelhead.”

Many longtime Jackie Greene fans were surprised to hear that the singer/songwriter joined The Black Crowes primarily in the role of a guitarist. But last night Greene offered his first lead vocal with the band when he led Chris Robinson and the Crowes’ longtime backup singers through an acoustic take on “Deep River Blues.” Greene also showed off his banjo prowess on “Whoa Mule” and “Garden Gate.” Adding to the evening’s uniqueness, both Robinsons took solo spots: Rich performed “All Along That Way,” while Chris ran through “Someday Past The Sunset.”

Perhaps most unexpectedly, the members of Old Crow Medicine Show sat in for a few songs during the night.

The Nashville-based outfit emerged near the end of The Black Crowes’ show and joined the Robinsons and Greene for “East Virginia Blues,” “Last Place That Love Lives,” “Oh The Rain” and The Band’s “The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.” The latter song doubled as a tribute to Helm, who passed away on April 19, 2012.

Soul Singing
Hotel Illness
Welcome To The Good Times
Whoa Mule
Feelin' Alright
Thorn In My Pride
Cash On The Barrelhead
Garden Gate
My Heart's Killing Me
Deep River Blues
All Along That Way
Someday Past The Sunset
East Virginia Blues
Lips That Lie
Last Place That Love Lives
Oh The Rain
The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
What Is Home
Driving Wheel
Shine Along
Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues
- encore -
Poor Elijah - Tribute To Johnson (Medley)
That's How Strong My Love Is
Boomer's Story

The word "epic" is so overused, but I'll tell you what: those setlists look pretty epic.

Looking forward to seeing these guys next week, special guests or not!

You going to Orlando....lets hook it up...I will be there...driving form SF.

I'll have to check those shows out - if they appear.

I wonder why Audley Freed was not asked to re-join the band? He dropped out of Trigger Hippy also. Maybe he just doesn't want to tour.

• 5 months later...

They must have something against cds:

Chris Robinson Brotherhood will release Betty’s S.F. Blends, Volume One on November 23. The quadruple album, available exclusively on vinyl, highlights the band’s five show run at San Francisco’s Great American Music Hall in 2012.

Betty Cantor-Jackson, noted Grateful Dead producer and engineer, curated the box set with the songs she felt were the best moments from the run. “We feel super blessed to have Betty’s cosmic ears and prolific talents,” says Chris Robinson. “We’re honored and inspired that Betty chose our farm to table psychedelic hayride as a vehicle to continue her amazing sonic work.”

Other than vinyl, the shows will be available in their entirety only as digital downloads exclusively through Amazon. Here is the track listing for Betty’s S.F. Blends:

Disc One

Side A: Crash on the Levee, Star or Stone
Side B: Do Right Woman, Badlands Here We Come, Tornado

Disc Two

Side A: Try Rock & Roll, Jump the Turnstile, Someday Past the Sunset
Side B: Barefoot by the Cherry Tree, Poor Elijah/R. Johnson

Disc Three

Side A: Reflections On A Broken Mirror, 100 Days of Rain
Side B: Saturday Night in S.F., Girl on the Mountain

Disc Four

Side A: Roll Old Jeremiah, Tulsa Yesterday
Side B: Meanwhile in the Gods, Train Robbers, Hello L.A. Bye Bye Birmingham