The Black Crowes

One of the most frustrating things about a being a Black Crowes fan is that there are few reliable forums for fan discussion and information. Most of the semi-official boards are drowning in a sea of petty squabbling among the loudest and most obnoxious posters, and these places rarely have any decent insight into legit developments in the Crowes camp. Fortunately, then handful of folks in here are keeping things civil and largely up-to-date, so sincere thanks for that! I can't believe I'm just now hearing about the CRB San Fran Live release (which seemed like a given, though the involvement of Betty Cantor certainly piques my interest - let's see how her ears have aged!).

One other bit of legit news I can throw in the mix is that according to a recent interview with Rich, he will put out a new solo album next April and will tour behind it. Rich is my favorite member of the band, and I really loved his last album, so I'm anxiously awaiting that one.

If I may play the role of lover expatriate for a moment, I'll sheepishly admit that I haven't seen or heard a show from this past tour yet, despite being the type of old-school nerd who has roughly 550 Crowes tracks on his iPod. I really admire Jackie Greene's talent as a singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, but the small bits I've seen on YouTube just make me long for the days of Marc Ford like all the other 90s obsessives. That being said, the bigger stumbling block for me for any live Crowes after the early aughts is always Chris, who just doesn't have the ferocity and power of the old days (understandably so). Don't get me wrong, I really love his recent solo work, plus BTF/UTF and all the acoustic, country-rock stuff the Crowes have been doing in recent years to cater to his current vocal sweet spot. That material definitely works for me. On the other hand, I just went through a bunch of Europe '97 shows and holy shit what a rock singer that guy used to be! I mean, take the time to A/B one of the belters like "Sometimes Salvation" from '96 vs. anything since they've reformed and it's a reminder that as amazing as CR may still be, he can't hold a candle to the singer he once was. That Three Snakes tour, for all the drug problems and internal discord, is just unbeatable.

It's late and I'm rambling, but if anyone can point to a '13 show that stands tall alongside the best of the mid-90s and the '05-'06 years (where Chris' voice was often shot, but the band played arguably better than any other era), I'd welcome the recommendation.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the most frustrating things about a being a Black Crowes fan is that there are few reliable forums for fan discussion and information. Most of the semi-official boards are drowning in a sea of petty squabbling among the loudest and most obnoxious posters, and these places rarely have any decent insight into legit developments in the Crowes camp. Fortunately, then handful of folks in here are keeping things civil and largely up-to-date, so sincere thanks for that! I can't believe I'm just now hearing about the CRB San Fran Live release (which seemed like a given, though the involvement of Betty Cantor certainly piques my interest - let's see how her ears have aged!).

One other bit of legit news I can throw in the mix is that according to a recent interview with Rich, he will put out a new solo album next April and will tour behind it. Rich is my favorite member of the band, and I really loved his last album, so I'm anxiously awaiting that one.

If I may play the role of lover expatriate for a moment, I'll sheepishly admit that I haven't seen or heard a show from this past tour yet, despite being the type of old-school nerd who has roughly 550 Crowes tracks on his iPod. I really admire Jackie Greene's talent as a singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist, but the small bits I've seen on YouTube just make me long for the days of Marc Ford like all the other 90s obsessives. That being said, the bigger stumbling block for me for any live Crowes after the early aughts is always Chris, who just doesn't have the ferocity and power of the old days (understandably so). Don't get me wrong, I really love his recent solo work, plus BTF/UTF and all the acoustic, country-rock stuff the Crowes have been doing in recent years to cater to his current vocal sweet spot. That material definitely works for me. On the other hand, I just went through a bunch of Europe '97 shows and holy shit what a rock singer that guy used to be! I mean, take the time to A/B one of the belters like "Sometimes Salvation" from '96 vs. anything since they've reformed and it's a reminder that as amazing as CR may still be, he can't hold a candle to the singer he once was. That Three Snakes tour, for all the drug problems and internal discord, is just unbeatable.

It's late and I'm rambling, but if anyone can point to a '13 show that stands tall alongside the best of the mid-90s and the '05-'06 years (where Chris' voice was often shot, but the band played arguably better than any other era), I'd welcome the recommendation.

Agree with all that you say.  Its weird to me that the best Grateful Dead forum on the Internet is on the Wilco forum, but I'm grateful for the fans here who love both bands enough to make the discussions rich. Same goes for The Crowes.

Bob, I doubt any show from this tour will stand up to the Crowes peak rock years.  I have seen four shows this tour, two nights in Chicago in April and recently 2 nights in New Orleans.  I had a great time at all of them and in person, felt excited and happy and didn't find much wrong with the shows in the moment, but I was making a conscious decision to NOT compare to the peak years.  I don't have any desire to hear recordings from this tour, unless its some of the new covers or those acoustic nights from Port Chester, but you can still go and have a good time.  My favorite Crowes studio album is Southern Harmony, but even if they do decide to play those songs now, CR doesn't have the voice or the desire or whatever to make them sound like I think they should.  It just ain't gonna happen.  At least we have all the recordings from those great years.

Rich's solo stuff, for me, towers over CRB.  I'd go see Rich night after night if I could, only got to catch one show last tour.  Through A Crooked Sun is fucking brilliant, can't wait for another Rich solo record and tour.

I got one more Crowes show this year, one night in Phoenix, but I'm not expecting too much and then I won't be disappointed.  If they kick ass, I'll be pleasantly surprised.  Sad to have to lower expectations, but what else can ya do unless you want to be disappointed all the time?

You're ight about the acoustic shows. Those tend to be my favorite latter-day Crowes recordings, as they emphasize the material and range Chris is most comfortable with these days. I've been listening to a bunch of the Instant Live shows from '05-'06 lately, and even those are pretty weak vocally (compared to the glory days of the mid-90s, that is). Of course, the band is so amazing, it tends to make up for Chris' screeching. I've enjoyed the other lead players at various times, but you can run through a dozen different Ford solos on any given '05-'06 show and it only serves to underscore just how perfectly matched his talents were for this band. No one else comes close.

Even watered-down Crowes is stellar, so I'm sure if I caught a show with the new line-up I'd have fun, but I imagine you're right that there isn't much of a reason to explore the recordings in earnest. Bring on the next Rich solo offering!

I may be the opposite - I prefer the voice now. At least - I don't miss the "screaming in the microphone" vocals of the olden days. I have to say that Before The Frost. . .Until The Freeze is one of the best albums they ever made. I am guilty of not much caring for a band once their sound changes, but with the Black Crowes, I think it is alright.

I may be the opposite - I prefer the voice now. At least - I don't miss the "screaming in the microphone" vocals of the olden days. I have to say that Before The Frost. . .Until The Freeze is one of the best albums they ever made. I am guilty of not much caring for a band once their sound changes, but with the Black Crowes, I think it is alright.

I am listening to Before the Frost for the first time. This is really solid.

Some of Before The Frost is not my fave, but there are some sublime moments, for sure.  I LOVE their version of Manassas' So Many Times and Rich's original What Is Home is superb to my ears as well. 

Try these for mellow acoustic Crowes live with the same line up.  These are fantastic shows!

http://www.liveblackcrowes.com/live-music/0,3264/The-Black-Crowes-mp3-flac-download-11-4-2008-BC-Roadshow-New-York-NY.html

http://www.liveblackcrowes.com/live-music/0,3263/The-Black-Crowes-mp3-flac-download-11-3-2008-BC-Roadshow-New-York-NY.html

I am listening to Before the Frost for the first time. This is really solid.

I am really into the songs: Appaloosa, A Train Still Makes a Lonely Sound, and Houston Don't Dream About Me.  You may also want to check out the dvd - Cabin Fever.

I really like BTF/UTF as well and was fortunate enough to attend one of the Cabin Fever shows. I know a lot of the 20+ year die-hards were disappointed because it didn't "rock" hard enough, or whatever, but I enjoyed the new direction well enough (though I wish Rich had driven the bus a bit more - "What Is Home" is more interesting to me than most of Chris' work on that album). That being said, anyone who hasn't heard some of the live recordings from '96-'97 really should. Chris' voice is unbeatable from that tour. He's rarely, if ever, yelling or screaming. It's just raw power and  soul. The closest he's ever come to idols like Otis Redding or Rod Stewart. When you hear him belt out the ballads from back then, you're hearing a truly great white soul voice. These days, it's just a shell of the past (with more Southern twang for good measure). My two cents at least...

depends on what you want out of this band.

Rich and Chris' songwriting has some stellar moments.  But what always got me was Ford's guitar work.  While his solos are all great, I especially love his little detailing work--things he'd slip in during the verses.  Guy just had an amazing ear for complementing their songs.

I really like BTF/UTF as well and was fortunate enough to attend one of the Cabin Fever shows. I know a lot of the 20+ year die-hards were disappointed because it didn't "rock" hard enough, or whatever, but I enjoyed the new direction well enough (though I wish Rich had driven the bus a bit more - "What Is Home" is more interesting to me than most of Chris' work on that album). That being said, anyone who hasn't heard some of the live recordings from '96-'97 really should. Chris' voice is unbeatable from that tour. He's rarely, if ever, yelling or screaming. It's just raw power and  soul. The closest he's ever come to idols like Otis Redding or Rod Stewart. When you hear him belt out the ballads from back then, you're hearing a truly great white soul voice. These days, it's just a shell of the past (with more Southern twang for good measure). My two cents at least...

Tell us more about the show. One of those shows appeared at bt.etree.org for a brief time. It got taken down of course, and the band did not allow their recordings to be up there for a while.

The one show I caught was an awesome experience. I regret never attending a Midnight Ramble during my years in New York, but I'm glad I at least had a chance to witness something musical on Levon's farm. I saw the March 1st show, which was far enough along in the run that I'd already read a good deal about most of the songs they were performing. Nevertheless, the evening was still full of surprises for me and everyone else. The whole idea behind Cabin Fever reeked of a typical Pete Angelus PR stunt, so the best thing I can say about the experience was how genuine and sincere it all felt in execution. The band appeared legitimately excited to be performing all-new, untested material in front of their die-hard fans (and even in the back where I was, they were still only a few yards away from me - the place is tiny), and their gratitude and relative humility (this is the Robinsons after all) was really refreshing. The swagger was in the songs and the performances, not in the "show," if that makes any sense.

I will pat myself on the back for having attentive ears because after they played Good Morning Captain (which is easily one of my favorites off that album), I remember paying attention to Luther (which I rarely have before or since) and admiring the out-of-control squeal of his guitar after the song finished. Luther is a talented guy, but I rarely heard him throw out little bits of color like that which Ford so reliably brought to the table. Anyway, I remember loving that song and loving his performance on the outro. Cut to hearing the album itself for the first time, many months later. That song finishes, that squeal is there and I smiled to myself knowing they must have stuck with the take I witnessed. When I watched the Cabin Fever DVD, it was confirmed that a number of the more old-school Crowes rock songs had originated from the March 1st show, given that this was the night C&R both wore all black (as seen in the video). Anyway, that album will never mean to me what the Holy Trinity of SHAMC/Amorica/TSAOC will, but it's a damn fine collection of songs, and massive kudos to the band for such a risky and creative move on their part - especially that many years into their career when they could have easily just settled into a comfortable, nostalgic groove.

Sorta like they did in 2013. Final dig, I promise! Plus, I can't blame them for wanting to refill the coffers. If by-the-numbers, greatest hits touring every few years gets us more solo RR tours (and I'll take CRB as well for good measure), then sign me up. Totally worth it.

That is pretty cool. I don't know that I much cared for Luther at first - but I grew to like his contributions. The show that was briefly out there was 02/21/2009. I am grabbing some more shows from this tour - and then I will listen to them at some point. I did listen to the 10-18-2013 show last weekend.

Bob,

Cool story.  Thanks.  I've never been a huge Crowes fan.  Really enjoyed SHMC, but kind of lost interest after that.  I did come back around with the Cabin Fever project though.  Maybe a bit curated, but damn those songs are good.  I just love that album.  I also love CRB.  If the Crowes do record again, I hope it is in more of the country rock vein.

I agree that the country-rock thing is probably what they should stick to these days. It's certainly where Chris' head (and throat) seem to be at lately. That being said, I would highly encourage you to go back and give Amorica and Three Snakes another chance. Granted, these albums came out when I was a teenager, so I have especially fond memories of them (early driving albums, if you will), but I still contend that they feature many of the finest songs they ever wrote, impeccably performed and recorded (the latter props going to Jack Joseph-Puig, an engineering mastermind who dealt with a lot of great mid-90s bands like Jellyfish and such). 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy BTF/UTF, but Amorica has songs like Wiser Time, Descending, Nonfiction, Ballad In Urgency, all sorts of mid-temp, vaguely country-ish rock songs that, to my ears, are more powerful and resonant than anything they've done before or since. Three Snakes is similar. And the ensuing tour for that album is like Grateful Dead Europe '72 good. The kind of thing that anyone with ears would enjoy (I say that as someone who likes, but doesn't love the Dead. Even I can't argue with the results of that period. All classic material).

I agree that the country-rock thing is probably what they should stick to these days. It's certainly where Chris' head (and throat) seem to be at lately. That being said, I would highly encourage you to go back and give Amorica and Three Snakes another chance. Granted, these albums came out when I was a teenager, so I have especially fond memories of them (early driving albums, if you will), but I still contend that they feature many of the finest songs they ever wrote, impeccably performed and recorded (the latter props going to Jack Joseph-Puig, an engineering mastermind who dealt with a lot of great mid-90s bands like Jellyfish and such). 

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy BTF/UTF, but Amorica has songs like Wiser Time, Descending, Nonfiction, Ballad In Urgency, all sorts of mid-temp, vaguely country-ish rock songs that, to my ears, are more powerful and resonant than anything they've done before or since. Three Snakes is similar. And the ensuing tour for that album is like Grateful Dead Europe '72 good. The kind of thing that anyone with ears would enjoy (I say that as someone who likes, but doesn't love the Dead. Even I can't argue with the results of that period. All classic material).

Okay man, you've convinced me.  I'm going to check out those albums again.  I saw them on the SHMC tour in '92.  It was so damn loud :-).  I was working at a record store when Amorica came out, so I got to hear it.  It just didn't blow me away the way songs like Remedy did.  I do love Wiser Time.  I remember putting that on a mix tape.  I am a Deadhead, so the CRB is really up my alley.  If I had my way, Casal would be playing with Furthur, but I'm glad he's playing with Chris.  Those two albums from a few years ago are great.

Anyway, will be listening to Amorica and 3 Snakes tonight.  Will report back.  Thanks for the recommendation.

Hope you enjoy them. In my years as a Crowes obsessive, Deadheads tend to like Three Snakes more than the others, so I'll be curious to hear your take. If you find you enjoy those albums, I could send you some shows from the '96-'97 tour that perfectly encapsulate that era. In fact, the Furthur '97 tour, where they just wailed in front of Dead fans for an hour every night, is probably my favorite period in their history. A mix of the balls out rock music of their youth with the more psychedelic and/or cosmic country leanings of their latter years. Great stuff.

Oh, and Amorica is like a vintage-era Little Feat record turned up to 11. The percussion, the vaguely Latin grooves, the song structures that seem so simple but are generally more complex than you realize... man, that album does it for me every time.

And I agree with Analogman as well. If you like that stuff at all, you've got to check out the "Lost Crowes" which has the Tall album (pre-Amorica) and Band album (post Three Snakes). Both are chock full of country rock ballads that will melt your heart (Wyoming & Me, Thunderstorm 654, My Heart's Killing Me, so many great songs)

Neal Casal is in a band now with my boy Todd Snider, Dave Schools on bass, dude from Great American Taxi on drums, and a Trucks kid.They kick off their tour in Boulder next month. 

What's the name of the band? There's nothing about it on his site.

I'm a huge Neal fan, and would welcome a chance to see him with whoever he's touring with. I would love to see him perform some of the songs from his solo albums, but have never had the chance.

If you like that stuff at all, you've got to check out the "Lost Crowes" which has the Tall album (pre-Amorica) and Band album (post Three Snakes). Both are chock full of country rock ballads that will melt your heart (Wyoming & Me, Thunderstorm 654, My Heart's Killing Me, so many great songs)

is this available at usual commercial sites or do I need to find a specific Crowes link?

NM, just saw it on Amazon.