The Black Crowes

For me, the new CRB song kinda pales in comparison with previous efforts, but it's interesting to see them going for a different vibe. Similar to Wilco's "I Might" in that and other ways.

It will probably be a lot of fun in general admission venues and at festivals, what with everyone boogieing to it and whatnot.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a few oddball BC songs like that (think Share The Ride on Croweology). I suppose he likes to throw a curve ball out there. I will be surprised if the whole album sounds like that. I think it's a shame they didn't make a BC album last year. That is where their real strength lies - working together along with Steve and the other dudes.

I really like the new CRB tune - it's different, but I usually always like different.

Rich's record cover looks pretty cool - the harmonies and guitar work are nice on his tune - but there is nothing new - good though.

I didn't like it at all upon first listen - it reminded me of my response to "I Might," as I said above - but then I didn't like that song at all until I experienced Wilco playing it live, and after that I thought it was really fun. I do find it odd that they went for something so different from the vibe established by their first two records, but I guess you could make the argument that those were really one record, parts 1 & 2...especially based on their release dates.

Looking forward to seeing them in April, but want to go into it more or less "blind" as far as new material. I didn't know the material at all when I saw them last time, and I absolutely loved that show.

Just listened to the CRB tune. It's a little quirky but I like it. His voice makes even a sonically odd tune like this sound better than it would with just about anyone else singing it. I bet it kicks some ass live, too....

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go!  Initially disappointed that Steve Molitz won't be in the band, but Matt Slocum sounds good and looks like he's got a Fender Rhodes and a Hammond, so I think its still gonna be great.  Stoked!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm absolutely digging that first CRB album.  So great.  Chris is actually a compelling guitar player.  Casal, of course, is so damn tasty.  I wish the bass was a bit higher in the mix a la the Dead.  Seeing them in a few weeks at a local festival.  Really looking forward to it.

BTW, did anyone pick up any of those Betty Boards?  Any recommendations?

Seeing them in a few weeks at a local festival.  Really looking forward to it.

BTW, did anyone pick up any of those Betty Boards?  Any recommendations?

I'm seeing them Sunday night and looking forward to it, too. Hoping for a good Dead cover.  :stunned

I can only provide input on the first night of the Betty boards, as that is the only one I have bought so far. I thought it was pretty darn good, especially the version of Vibration & Light. They are a solid live unit now.

Got my ticket to see CRB in Chicago when they hit town. 

Jackie Greene is also coming, but I think I'll pass on that show. Waiting for a local Rich date - I've never seen him solo/live. Wish Chicago was one of the markets getting the Jackie/Rich combo shows.

CRB last night in a small club setting. Very lengthy show, hitting on pretty much every original song of theirs that I like. See these guys if you get a chance. Was right in front of Neal the whole time, man, the dude is just bringing it.

Set I:

Shore Power

About A Stranger

Meanwhile In The Gods

Love Has Made A Fool of You

Little Lizzie Mae

Ramble on Rose (!)

100 Days of Rain

Rosalee

Set II:

Let's Go Let's Go Let's Go

Tulsa Yesterday

Jump the Turnstile

Crash on the Levee

Star or Stone

Vibration & Light

Ride

Appaloosa

Sunday Sound

E:

Good Time Charlie

Shake Rattle & Roll

Another song from Chris:

Beggar's Moon

I think Rich has been putting up tracks also. And is apparently going to record an album at this place in June:

Come join Rich Robinson & his band at Woodstock Sessions for a once in a lifetime day-long event.

Attendees will have the rare experience of witnessing & participating in the recording of an in studio album with Rich & his band at Applehead Recording & Production (appleheadrecording.com) in Woodstock New York.

We invite you to join us for a meet & greet bar-b-que, acoustic "storytellers" session with Rich during the day, and to participate in a live in-studio recording session: an album crafting experience with one of rock & roll's greatest talents.

• 2 weeks later...