The Black Crowes

I've been listening to the new CRB far more than I expected. Despite his faux-hippy lyrics and the put-upon "vibe" of it all, I really like the songs and arrangements (Casal's co-writing helps a lot on this one, I think). And Adam's keys are just the right amount of 70s weird for me. CRB has far exceeded my admittedly low expectations from the beginning. Hope he keeps this group up for a while.

As for Rich, my personal favorite Crowe, I'm enjoying the new album as I do all things RR, though it's not quite the leap forward that TACS was over Paper. Was hoping for another big step forward. This is more of a lateral move, but still a solid batch of tunes, and a great-sounding production. Does fall apart a bit in the latter half, but the highs are pretty high (The Giving Key is a stunner, and Rich should bring a female backing vocalist/co-vocalist with him on the road).

I know he loves to recycle his riffs, and usually it doesn't bother me, but maybe after 20 years of hearing these moves, my patience is wearing just a bit. "I Remember" has the Miracle To Me/Greenhorn strum going and then the overall melody/rhythm (especially the outro) is pure All Along The Way. He didn't even wait a full album release before rehashing that one. That being said, I liked Greenhorn more than Miracle To Me, so maybe he's just going to continue perfecting that gag over the years. But I prefer "All Along The Way" to "I Remember."

His lyrics, as usual, are hit and miss. I made the mistake of listening to this album after spending a few days going back through Jason Isbell's catalogue. Not really fair to Rich, but there's a fairly wide chasm between the confessional and pure storytelling chops of "Songs She Sang In The Shower" and the hokum of "I Have A Feeling" (which is almost as corny as Chris' recent lyrical output).

"Consciousness is ours to fathom/no one will tell us how it's done." CRob would be proud! Nevertheless, I'm very excited to see RR and Jackie Greene next week. That's a pretty cool double bill.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been listening to the new CRB far more than I expected. Despite his faux-hippy lyrics and the put-upon "vibe" of it all, I really like the songs and arrangements (Casal's co-writing helps a lot on this one, I think). 

Neal Casal is a highly underrated songwriter, singer and guitar player, IMO. I have been singing his praises since 1997, when a friend of mine (who also turned me on to Blue Mountain) introduced me to his solo albums. This was well before the Ryan Adams gig. Check out Basement Dreams, Fade Away Diamond Time, and Anytime Tomorrow in particular.

Love Neal. Got all his records. My first exposure to his work was back in 2004 when he was touted as the new lead guitarist for the Crowes (before mighty Marc Ford returned to the fold). I end up keeping only a handful of tracks from each of his albums, but between his solo output and his stellar work with Hazy Malaze, I've found myself with a ton of Casal on my iPod (not even including his sideman work). A really talented guy and clearly the type of sideman who brings the best out of mercurial talents. 

Love Neal. Got all his records. My first exposure to his work was back in 2004 when he was touted as the new lead guitarist for the Crowes (before mighty Marc Ford returned to the fold). I end up keeping only a handful of tracks from each of his albums, but between his solo output and his stellar work with Hazy Malaze, I've found myself with a ton of Casal on my iPod (not even including his sideman work). A really talented guy and clearly the type of sideman who brings the best out of mercurial talents. 

Very well put.  I couldn't agree more.  I have yet to dig deeper into Neal's earlier releases and had no idea about Hazy Malaze!

Saw Rich/Jackie in Nashville last night. Jackie went on first, which was a surprise. He got a solid response, though the crowd only went ape during his Dead covers. Jackie is a very versatile talent, no doubt about it, but little of his material really connects with me. It had more bite live than on record, but my attention still drifted fairly often. I have 9 songs of his on my iPod right now. Unlikely to change anytime soon, though I liked the Trigger Hippy EP more than I expected to. Interested to see how that unit progresses.

Rich played a great set as expected, though there were persistent sound issues, and "One Road Hill" wasn't played, which seemed odd. Only played one track from the first record, "Leave It Alone," (that riff still slays), and never busted out an acoustic guitar, which may have been for the best as the crowd was pretty chatty throughout the night. New songs sounded really strong, but other than The Giving Key and a few other moments, I mostly just found myself wishing the rest of the Crowes were there. When Rich moves into the acoustic space or the more overtly pop/melodic space ("One Road Hill" as an example), his voice works well for me. When he's kicking ass and presenting that full RR wall of rock (as he often did last night), it is hard not to wish that Chris (or even John Hogg!) was there with him. He played Free's "O I Wept" and a double shot of Clapton in the encore with "Presence Of The Lord" and "Got To Get Better In A Little While," and even though these songs are in his range (kinda), it does make you wish he had a real singer. 

I mean, covering Paul Rodgers, even subdued Paul Rodgers, is a ballsy thing to do. Gotta give them man credit, but I wish he had Mike Farris up there or someone with him who could actually do it. His band is fine, though special kudos to Ted Pecchio who looks and plays like skinnier, slightly younger Sven. Works for me!

I caught CRB Saturday night. It was really mediocre. I've seen them before and the previous show was so fun. Saturday's show just dragged and dragged. The pacing and, I hate to say it, the musicianship wasn't there. During Roll Old Jeremiah, it sounded like all 5 musicians were playing a different song. I didn't stay for the encore. Many in the not sold out crowd (30%??) left before I did.

Still like the music on the records, but it is going to be hard to get me to another CRB show...

I caught CRB Saturday night. It was really mediocre. I've seen them before and the previous show was so fun. Saturday's show just dragged and dragged. The pacing and, I hate to say it, the musicianship wasn't there. During Roll Old Jeremiah, it sounded like all 5 musicians were playing a different song. I didn't stay for the encore. Many in the not sold out crowd (30%??) left before I did.

Still like the music on the records, but it is going to be hard to get me to another CRB show...

i haven't seen them live, but the videos i've seen aren't that amazing.  i do absolutely love the records.  they're trying to be a jamband, but none of them have the chops for it.  

i thought about going to the local rat dog CRB gig in august, but that would be two bands dragging along :-)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Trigger Hippy album release date:

(Audley Freed plays guitar on the album.)

"Rise Up Singing" is the first single from the band's self-titled debut album, which will be released September 30 through Rounder Records.

Trigger Hippy was founded by the Black Crowes' Steve Gorman and features Joan Osborne and guitarist Jackie Greene on vocals, Nashville first-call session guitarist Tom Bukovac and bassist Nick Govrik.

Trigger Hippy Track Listing:

01. “Rise Up Singing”
02. “Turpentine”
03. “Heartache On The Line”
04. “Cave Hill Cemetery”
05. “Tennessee Mud”
06. “Pretty Mess”
07. “Pocahontas”
08. “Dry County”
09. “Nothing New”
10. “Ain’t Persuaded Yet”
11. “Adelaide"

• 2 months later...

I guess Audley is not on the album. Although he is listed in some of the song credits. I got it today. I noticed there's an interview with Steve out there today where he says the Crowes are probably finished for good.

Haven't heard the rest of Trigger Hippy yet (apart from the songs on the EP), though what I heard so far was a solid Tedeschi Trucks-style endeavor, though not as strong as that band's latest.

Love Steve, very happy for him that he's finding so much joy with this new band, but the Crowes aren't done until they are all dead in the ground. Chris, Rich, and Steve will all need the money at some point, and they will definitely need the adoring crowds. Nothing they do apart garners them a fraction of the attention. There may not be a new studio recording until they are truly old men (no money in records anyway), but there will be shows. No doubt about it.

In the next 2-3 years, we will see another cash grab tour with CR, RR, Steve, Sven, Adam. The big question is whether or not Marc will return to the throne. But I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's there within the next 5 years.

They're all multi-millionaires, I'd think. Not sure they'll need a "money-grab" tour down the road. They all seem pretty content in their current musical situations so I could easily see them (BC) as being done.

I would think Chris and Rich are doing alright. I don't know about the rest. We'll see. I would be very surprised if Marc ever played in the BC again. I think it would be Jackie or someone else.

I rather like the Trigger Hippy album. It's not exactly my cup of tea, but it speaks to me.

Saw on another board that Ford has apparently reached out via twitter to both Rich and Steve in recent days. So maybe the hatchet is on its way to being buried? 

CR & RR definitely have their money (though multiple divorces couldn't have helped matters), but they are the only ones in the Crowes with songwriting credits. I wouldn't be surprised if even a member as important as Steve was ever given more than a fantastic annual salary from Crowes Inc. If there's a giant pot from which to share, CR, RR, and Angelus are the ones holding the ladle.

But beyond money (and I do believe the money has dried up to some extent, otherwise how to explain the 2013 tour?), I really think these guys have a hard time adjusting to the smaller, less interested audiences. And who can blame them? They've been full-on rock stars with a rabid fanbase since they were kids. Hell, Rich was still in his teens when he got famous. That's a hard drug to shake.

I have no doubt that they are infinitely happier and more fulfilled, creatively, spiritually, you name it, when they are far apart from one another. But the fact that none of them can draw on their own weighed them down once before and will do so again. Personally, I'm loving this new arrangment. They break up for a few years, talk shit about each other, put out some solid solo material, I get to see each of them in small clubs, then they get back together for a short time to trot out the classics. Repeat cycle. Works for me!

• 2 weeks later...

Chris Robinson Brotherhood show will be webcast tomorrow night:

https://screen.yahoo.com/live/event/chris-robinson-brotherhood

I love the CRB albums, but have not been impressed with live videos or tapes.  Those Betty Blends are just so dull.  Neal's a great guitar player, but he doesn't really jam too much.  Not to mention the keys guy who seems kind of off most of the time.  Kind of bar band quality.  Too bad, cause they have some great tunes.  They are coming around next week and I'm wondering if seeing them live might change my mind.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I guess we will see how long it will last - but I definitely agree with Rich:  

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/123765/Rich-Robinson-Announces-The-Black-Crowes-Have-Broken-Up

AFTER 24 YEARS RICH ROBINSON SAYS THE BLACK CROWES ARE NO MORE

The Black Crowes, the highly influential, critically and commercially successful band has disbanded, per an announcement today from founding member Rich Robinson. Robinson, the group’s guitarist and songwriter, founded the band with his brother Chris in their hometown of Marietta, GA. Their first album, Shake Your Money Maker, yielded multiple hit singles and has been RIAA certified as a multiplatinum (over 5 million) seller. Their follow up, The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion is, likewise, multiplatinum and rose to #1 on Billboard’s Top 100 Album Chart. The group’s catalog also includes additional RIAA- certified releases, including the critically acclaimed Amorica, By Your Side and a live collaboration with Led Zeppelin’s Jimmy Page.

Rich Robinson released a statement concerning the band’s conclusion in which he states, "It is with great disappointment and regret that after having the privilege of writing and performing the music of The Black Crowes over the last 24 years, I find myself in the position of saying that the band has broken up."

His statement continues, "I hold my time with the Black Crowes with the utmost respect and sincerest appreciation. It is a huge swath of my life's body of work. I couldn't be more proud of what we accomplished and deeply moved by the relationships people created and maintained with my music. That alone is the greatest honor of being a musician. I love my brother and respect his talent but his present demand that I must give up my equal share of the band and that our drummer for 28 years and original partner, Steve Gorman, relinquish 100% of his share, reducing him to a salaried employee, is not something I could agree to."

Robinson concludes, "There are so many people who have helped and supported us along the way. I want to give a heartfelt thank you to all of our fans, our friends behind the scenes, and to everyone who was a part of The Black Crowes.”