The Black Crowes

The sound guy at a local place our band plays is a huge Crowes fan. I wanted to play something that would blow his mind like feathers but we ended up playing wiser time instead. Still one of my fave Crowes tunes.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

As I said to a friend of mine - odd that he choose to post that clip out of the show he did with Steve. I guess it is either as you say or he just wanted to jab Chris.

Yeah, it's hard to say what his intent was but the comment about the door being open seemed genuine to me.

At the end of the day, as jaded as this may sound, the money may be hard to pass up.

As I recall from the various things said about the last proposed tour - Chris had demands that Rich and Steve would not go for. I suppose that must be what he meant by the "get his shit together" comment.

That is true. But you have to throw in the brother issue. That is a whole other thing. Maybe they can get Oasis back together and tour with them again.

I did not enjoy the Brotherly Love tour! Hope they do something different if the reunion happens. Maybe it's ok if they go away though? The legacy is in a good spot.

Rich was interviewed by Adam Corolla recently. The interview is posted on Rich's site right now. I thought it was a good conversation. Thinking about seeing him in Milwaukee this week. I've never seen him solo before...

• 2 months later...

Saw the CRB last night in Chicago -- real solid show. Decent crowd, but not a sell out. Casal is just amazing on guitar the new bass player is decent at laying the groove. Adam's keyboards didn't bug me too much, other then when he played the Moog, it needed to be tempered in the mix, but last night he didn't over play it at all, which is good. 

Also the back up singing was always spot on. No banter from Chris at all, just a few thank you's scattered about.

Also found out - after the show - that Betty Cantor-Jackson was in the house recording -- I would have made a point to search for her at the board if I knew it prior to the show. The sound board was up in the balcony, while I was on the floor. Great venue, too (Thalia Hall in Chicago). The sound was pretty perfect.

The encore was After Midnight - definitely had a early 80's JGB vibe, with Adam on the keys - similar to when Ozzie Ahlers was in the group.

Also did a great cover of Down Home Girl and Let it Bleed --- Casal played an excel ant slide a guitar on Let It Bleed, while Chris had a great harp solo on Down Home Girl.

Lastly Casal played a B-bender Telecaster on one tune - I think it was "Hello LA" - it sounded unbelievable. 

Forgot to mention that the new rendition of Hard to Handle was lot of fun.

They are probably in my top 5 currently.  Just a cool band.  I do wish the bass player was clearer in the mix and improvised a bit.

Yeah, the bass player is definitely a straight ahead bass player - but it suited the music fine, last night. Also he was ok in the mix, last night.

Going in the opposite direction this afternoon while watching the Indians/Blue Jays game  -- listening to By Your Side -- it has it's moments - I do enjoy Rich's playing throughout. 

That was one of the draw backs to last night -- Chris's guitar playing is pedestrian at best - he had some decent links every now and then. He did take a few solo's and Casal's rhythm playing was always far more interesting to Chris's rhythm playing. 

Now onto 2/6/93 - a FM source tape.