The Black Crowes

I think Chris needs an outside producer. Some of the CRB stuff is great - i.e. Rosalee. But some of it just makes no sense to me. Chris and Rich really need each other. But I have read in recent interviews that they don't even speak to each other. So I guess that is not going to happen.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy is still putting up shows. I should grab all of them. I am getting this one at least:

The Black Crowes
The Joint @ The Hard Rock Hotel
Las Vegas, NV
December 15, 1996

** 16 BIT **

Source: Sonic Studios DSM-6P w/3-way lo-cut filter, position unknown (most likely @ 80hz, middle setting) > Sony WM-D6
Transfer: Master cassettes (Maxell XL-IIS 100m) > Denon 790R > Kenwood A-522 amplifier > Kenwood GE-622 Equalizer > .WAV @ 16 bit/44.1 kHz
Mastering: .WAV > Sound Forge Pro 11.0 (Build 299) [iZotope Mastering Suite (declick); minor edits, normalize, & fades] > CDWav (tracking) > Trader's Little Helper (level 5) > FLAC > TagScanner 5.1 (tagging)
Recorded & transferred by: Steve "ballsdeep" Hagar
Mastered by: Dennis Orr

Setlist:
01 Jailhouse Rock
02 Feelin' Alright
03 Cursed Diamond
04 Bad Luck Blue Eyes Goodbye
05 Girl From The North Country
06 Dreams (1)
07 Willin' (1)
08 Tied Up And Swallowed
09 Twice As Hard
10 Hard To Handle
11 Boomer's Story (2)
12 The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down
13 Jealous Again
14 Encore Break
- Encore -
15 Torn And Frayed
16 Silver Train
17 Happy

(1) with Warren Haynes - guitar & vocals
(2) with Allen Woody - mandolin

Chris Robinson - lead vocals & harp
Rich Robinson - guitars & backing vocals
Marc Ford - guitars & backing vocals
Johnny Colt - bass & backing vocals
Ed Harsch - keyboards
Steve Gorman - drums

R.I.P. Ed Harsch: May 27, 1957 – November 4, 2016

Steve's Show Notes (edited from his Crowesbase post):
- Gov't Mule opened
- Um, it's the Joint. 'nuff said.
- What can be said about this show that wasn't said before? A legendary performance in the Crowes annals. I'd put my recording up against any of the other audies, it's got a bit more dynamics than the stack one, IMO. What a finale!
Rating : 9/10

Quote from "boa":
- Awesome closer to the fall Three Snakes and One Charm world tour. Opener of Gov't Mule just made this show that much better. 11 Covers in the 16 song repertoire, this show will live in Crowes fandom for years to come. - [boa]

Mastering Notes:
- Tape flip during the applause after "Dreams" - seamlessly spliced, no music lost.
- Tape flip during the "Encore Break" applause - seamlessly spliced.

• 2 weeks later...

Watched some Bad Company's Soundstage performance last night on PBS -- it was pretty painful, though I never really was much of a fan. 

I don't think they needed Robinson up there at all - I don' think he took one solo. He just to seemed there to fill in the sound.

Their reworked version of Shooting Star was dreadful.

Watched some Bad Company's Soundstage performance last night on PBS -- it was pretty painful, though I never really was much of a fan. 

I don't think they needed Robinson up there at all - I don' think he took one solo. He just to seemed there to fill in the sound.

Their reworked version of Shooting Star was dreadful.

I saw that tour, expecting that Rich would be the only guitarist and take all the solos and they'd do a bunch of Free songs.  I was sorely disappointed, none of that happened.  No Rich solo, the other guy who was not Mick Ralphs took all the solos and leads, not a single Free song was played and it was pretty lame.  Joe Walsh with Waddy Wachtel opened the show and that was far better to me.  Luckily, Rich started his solo tour soon after that and they killed it, playing their asses off with no repeats between two two-set shows in Austin and San Antonio.  Rich is both and tone- and riff-meister and when he composes a good one, which is far from every song he puts out, he can knock it out of the park.

I saw that tour, expecting that Rich would be the only guitarist and take all the solos and they'd do a bunch of Free songs.  I was sorely disappointed, none of that happened.  No Rich solo, the other guy who was not Mick Ralphs took all the solos and leads, not a single Free song was played and it was pretty lame.  Joe Walsh with Waddy Wachtel opened the show and that was far better to me.  Luckily, Rich started his solo tour soon after that and they killed it, playing their asses off with no repeats between two two-set shows in Austin and San Antonio.  Rich is both and tone- and riff-meister and when he composes a good one, which is far from every song he puts out, he can knock it out of the park.

I didn't know Wachtel was touring with Walsh until after the tour. I wouldn't mind seeing a Joe Walsh gig (with his current band).

I saw him once - he played, solo, at a benefit type show - he was still drinking and it wasn't very good. He was funny as hell, as per usual, though.

Now listening to 3/22/95, Beacon Theatre show.

I didn't know Wachtel was touring with Walsh until after the tour. I wouldn't mind seeing a Joe Walsh gig (with his current band).

I saw him once - he played, solo, at a benefit type show - he was still drinking and it wasn't very good. He was funny as hell, as per usual, though.

Now listening to 3/22/95, Beacon Theatre show.

He seems to play about the same songs at every show - every tour. At least - from what I have seen.

Lastly, why the hell do you to have extra percussionist when you have Gorman.

Always bugged the hell me when the Stones had Ollie Brown in 75-77, too,

You are talking about George Drakoulias or Joe Magistro I take it. I like that sort of thing - think Marc Quinones in the The Allman Brothers. Of course, I love drums.

You are talking about George Drakoulias or Joe Magistro I take it. I like that sort of thing - think Marc Quinones in the The Allman Brothers. Of course, I love drums.

Quinones added to the Allmans, mostly because it seems that Jaimoe chops dimensioned, so he picked up the slack. 

I don't think either of the above added much to the Crowes.

Not of fan of Airto when he played with Miles in the late 60's, early 70's, either.

It's hard for me to describe - although everyone in the original lineup were really really good players, and Paul no doubt is a major talent, for some reason they never really clicked with me (outside of a few songs).

This is purely just an opinion, but I kind of see Bad Company as being part of the beginnings of true Corporate Rock - the type where artistic concerns came in second to an eye for airplay in the burgeoning FM market, and massive sales. I know it most likely isn't the case, I just get the feeling there were suits in a boardroom somewhere going, "Hey - Zeppelin sales are off the charts. Now...if we could put together a 'Working Man's Zeppelin', dumb it down just a bit...throw in a bunch of dudes with pedigrees...we could ALL retire in Florida forever!".

I probably failed miserably there, and if there are big fans here go ahead and bust my balls, it's cool. I should like BC more than I do. 

https://www.yahoo.com/music/video-premiere-the-magpie-salute-performs-comin-home-live-173242207.html

And its going to get even better with John Hogg on vocals. He can sing the shit out of stuff like the Faces.  Eddie will be sorely missed, though.  Look at the way his fingers are just dancing over the keys.  He was an incredible talent all the way to the end, even with as much as he put his body through with drugs and his lifestyle.

https://www.yahoo.com/music/video-premiere-the-magpie-salute-performs-comin-home-live-173242207.html

And its going to get even better with John Hogg on vocals. He can sing the shit out of stuff like the Faces.  Eddie will be sorely missed, though.  Look at the way his fingers are just dancing over the keys.  He was an incredible talent all the way to the end, even with as much as he put his body through with drugs and his lifestyle.

Yes, that was really cool.  I'm hoping they release some stuff as well as add some tour dates.

This could be interesting - let's hope they allow taping:

Phil Lesh and Friends

Featuring Chris Robinson, Neal Casal, Tony Leone, Adam MacDougall & Ross James, Performing the classic album duo of Workingman’s Dead and American Beauty Friday, Jan. 20 & Saturday, Jan. 21 at the Brooklyn Bowl in Las Vegas.