The Black Crowes

I still wonder how he affords to pay for all those people plus travel and whatever else. It's not like they are playing stadiums.  

How can Rich afford to pay his band members? His manager(s) pay(s) them through the clubs/promoters, no? I doubt they're losing money or they wouldn't be on the road.

Plus, the guy is a multi-millionaire.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I notice every time there is an interview with either of them that question is asked.  Chris sure pumps out the albums now a days also. I don't think I am going to bother buying anymore of his stuff though. I didn't really care for the last one. 

I notice every time there is an interview with either of them that question is asked.  Chris sure pumps out the albums now a days also. I don't think I am going to bother buying anymore of his stuff though. I didn't really care for the last one. 

I'm not sure I understand why interviewers would be concerned about either Chris (who likely made 2x as much as Rich in The Crowes) or Rich and their finances? Because they both head toned-down bands that play in clubs? 

Are you talking about the last CRB album? I wasn't crazy about it either.

I am looking forward to the new CRB Betty Board release. Definitely prefer live CRB to the studio stuff. A new CRB studio record is in the can and should be out in June, I think.

I really enjoyed the CRB show I saw last October.

I am looking forward to the new CRB Betty Board release. Definitely prefer live CRB to the studio stuff. A new CRB studio record is in the can and should be out in June, I think.

I really enjoyed the CRB show I saw last October.

Yeah, the live stuff is where it's at. I have the last Betty Board release and it's enjoyable.

I have the first two. I like the second one - but there are no guitar solos. If I recall correctly.  

I think he needs an outside producer. But that is probably not going to happen. I think I have just lost interest in any sort of new music. I seem to do better with the old stuff. 

I have the first two. I like the second one - but there are no guitar solos. If I recall correctly.  

I think he needs an outside producer. But that is probably not going to happen. I think I have just lost interest in any sort of new music. I seem to do better with the old stuff. 

I think Rich's recent album is really good....

My copy of Betty Blends Vol. 3 came a day early. Of course this release has the same old stellar packaging with detailed liner notes  :rolleyes

Anybody know what shows the tunes are from. Chris is sounding a bit rough on the opening track - I Ain't Hiding.

My copy of Betty Blends Vol. 3 came a day early. Of course this release has the same old stellar packaging with detailed liner notes  :rolleyes

Anybody know what shows the tunes are from. Chris is sounding a bit rough on the opening track - I Ain't Hiding.

I want to pick this up, but I've heard I Ain't Hiding and it's awful. Chris is getting really lazy with his singing. Also, these guys can't really hold a jam too long. I really like their 'songs' but they suffer from lack of any sort of virtuosity. Casal is great for shorter solos. I also really wish they had a bassist that jammed and that he/she was higher in the mix. All of this IMHO of course.

All that being said, Big Moon Ritual is amazing!

Side note: Has anyone seen (heard, live) Neal Casal's Circles Around the Sun in concert. They're coming to Denver next month and thinking about going. I'm wondering if it's pretty much all improv, a la the stuff they did for the GF 50 pre/post and intermissions music.

I listened to the Circles record and part of a concert - it really didn't hold my interest. Maybe   different if I was actually at the show.

Speaking of Casal - I am now playing Willie Nelson's Songbird - he is backed by the Cardinals - nice listen.

I listened to the Circles record and part of a concert - it really didn't hold my interest. Maybe   different if I was actually at the show.

Speaking of Casal - I am now playing Willie Nelson's Songbird - he is backed by the Cardinals - nice listen.

Good album. The "Stella Blue" works well on it, too.

I want to pick this up, but I've heard I Ain't Hiding and it's awful. Chris is getting really lazy with his singing. Also, these guys can't really hold a jam too long. I really like their 'songs' but they suffer from lack of any sort of virtuosity. Casal is great for shorter solos. I also really wish they had a bassist that jammed and that he/she was higher in the mix. All of this IMHO of course.

All that being said, Big Moon Ritual is amazing!

Hiding is definitely the worst tune in the set - not sure why they chose to lead off the set with it or even have it on the cd at all. I enjoyed the release upon one listen.

Willie Songbird! Forgot about that. Love Casal with Ryan Adams too. Very Dead vibe. The live shows sound great. 

Circles is good music, but it's just way too long. So fun during the intermissions at FTW.

I did listen to Betty's 3. I was at one of the shows. It is pretty solid besides I Ain't Hiding. The sound is amazing. Warm and cozy hippie rock comfort. Betty is excellent and it shows how good a CD/digital can sound with appropriate mixing and mastering. Chris gives a shit about this stuff. 

I guess they have a more acoustic album coming out in the Fall. Can't keep up!

• 2 weeks later...

A long entertaining conversation with Steve Gorman in the latest Celebration Rock podcast. http://uproxx.com/music/celebration-rock-podcast-steve-gorman-the-black-crowes/

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a listen. I love Steve Hyden's writing. The podcast is really sloppy. I kinda decided to bail on it even though I love the subjects. I'll check back in for this one. 

He certainly is:

Trump is prez, John Mayer is in the Grateful Dead, and my bro is in a Black Crowes tribute band. Crazy world

. . .there’s nothing unique about him, he just knows all the licks -  Chris Robinson on John Mayer

Jerry Garcia is a hero of mine, everything that Jerry Garcia ever talked about or stood for, John Mayer is the antithesis

The Grateful Dead has turned into this giant nipple that everyone sucks off of to get money

Chris is such a douche bag, he was just the poseur face of the band and a good lead singer before his voice was shot.. Now he's a fake hippie in a third rate Jerry Garcia Band wannabe band. . His brother is the architect of the Black Crowes sound, along with Marc Ford,   Its not a cover band when you are playing your own songs