Oh Josephine

Feathers

Movin' On Down The Line

Remedy

- encore -

Sugaree

Cold Rain And Snow

New Speedway Boogie

# Phil Lesh played bass on "Sugaree", "Cold Rain And Snow", and "New Speedway Boogie"

# Sven played acoustic guitar on "Sugaree", "Cold Rain And Snow", and "New Speedway Boogie"

# last "Feelin' Alright" - 7/19/97

It's a good point about the venue. The Fillmore in Denver is much larger than the clubs I usually go to so that could be a factor in not connecting with Vetiver. Plus I had never heard a single thing by them.

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of Black Crowes album premiere shows and a 1995 show have recently been put up at bt.etree.org:

bt.etree.org link

Black Crowes 1995-01-29 - PreFM - Royal Albert Hall, London, England

Black Crowes 2001-04-21 - PreFM - Lions World Premiere

Black Crowes 1999-01-06 - PreFM - By Your Side World Premiere

Black Crowes 1996-07-05 - FM DAT - Three Snakes and One Charm World Premier

Black Crowes 1992-05-07 - PreFM - SHAMC World Premiere

I have a DVD of the Lions Premiere - it was broadcast over the internet.

I am surprised it was not mentioned at Billboard.com. I had not heard of it until I just happened to be looking at that Ron Asheton story, and then looked at the rest of the news at Rolling Stone.com.

• 4 weeks later...

Another bit of news - from Jambands.com:

The Black Crowes: From Cabin Fever To Europe

On February 21 the Black Crowes will perform the first of five shows at Levon Helm's Barn in Woodstock, NY. There the band will record its next disc of original material before a live audience, with the dates on the Cabin Fever Tour now sold out. However, tickets will go on sale over the coming days for a series of European dates. The Crowes will appear at The Music Hall in Amsterdam on May 13, travel to Spain's Azkena Rock Festival on May 15 ad then appear at The Forum in London on May 17 and 18.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not played The Southern Harmony and Musical Companion in a while. What a great album it is.

Some detailed information about the album - from Crowesbase.

Sometimes life is obscene.

Sometimes a memory

Only sees what it wants to believe

And what's filled in between

Are days and nights that don't mean a thing

Such a simple suicide

A second chance never tried

I still prefer this period:

Tall/Amorica Sessions

The Tall/Amorica Sessions consisted of several sessions.

The bulk of the Tall Sessions occurred at Conway Studio in Los Angeles in in late 1993 and early 1994; but there was at least one other earlier session at an unknown location other than Conway Studio. Some of the songs from the Tall sessions were eventually released in their Conway Studio form (Feathers, Buttermilk Waltz, Song of the Flesh).

Months later the band returned for the Amorica Sessions which occurred at Sound City Studio in Los Angeles in mid 1994. 15 songs were recorded at Sound City Studio and of those 13 songs went on to make up what became Amorica - perhaps the two missing songs are Under A Mountain, and Grinnin'). ( 5 outright new songs and 10 songs played either live or recorded earlier, 1 cover was also recorded which may or may not be part of this 15). Numerous sources of these sessions have circulated in the last few years (See circulated source info for our belief that Tall - the complete album and potential b-sides - has been circulated as Source 3.).

Very Early Tall Sessions at Kingsway Studio Session

(Daniel Lanois

You know, I realize that I am probably in the minority here, but Girl from a Pawnshop might be one of the greatest songs ever recorded. The emotions that song make me feel are like nothing else I have ever experienced listening to music. It still pisses me off the the Crowes never get the respect they deserve.

Amorica is a very, very close second for me but I think it goes back to the time and place discussion. Southern Harmony came around at just the right time for me and I wore it out. I have a bootleg they did under the name "Sweet Pickle Salad" that is really good. I know it has Marc Ford and Chris but don't know much more about it other than I really like it.

The "Sweet Pickle Salad" group/sessions happened after the "Tall" sessions ended and before the "Amorica" session began, about February, 1994 in Los Angeles.

The group was made up of most of the folks that played the Foamfoot show: Chris Robinson on vocals, Marc Ford on lead, Andy Sturmer(Jellyfish) on drums, Jimmy Ashurst (Ju Ju Hounds) on bass with the addition of Craig Ross on guitar and Roger Manning (Jellyfish) on keyboards. In articles around that time there were reports that they were going to release it. The style of the music is described by Chris - "The songs sound like a cross between CSNY and Pink Floyd, every song is like 10 minutes long."

There is a CDR circulating in trading cirles that has three of the four songs from the sessions. All information for those three songs is listed below

Can't Let Go

Cry To Me Softly* (this name is not confirmed)

One Man's Anger

Foamfoot is worth seeking out also:

Foamfoot

On January 8th, 1994 at the Troubadour in Hollywood, several members of the Black Crowes joined up with a handful of other artists for Foamfoot. Chris Robinson and Marc Ford of the Black Crowes played with Jimmy Ashurst (The JuJu Hounds), Eric Bobo (Cypress Hill), Gary Louris (The Jayhawks) and Andy Sturmer (Jellyfish). The show was an impromtu gig, however, it was recorded for possible release by the band.

Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it) the show's master was copied and released as a bootleg. If you search hard enough, maybe you can find it. Frayed doesn't know where to find any bootlegs, so don't ask.

Setlist:

1. Walk in My Shadow

~ written by Paul Rogers

2. Bottle of Red Wine

~ written by Eric Clapton & Bonnie Bramlett

3. Tin Soldier

~ written by The Small Faces

4. Take the Highway

~ written by Toy Caldwell

5. Deal

~ written by Jerry Garcia & Robert Hunter (Garcia solo)

6. Love Me Till The Sun Shines

~ written by The Kinks (Steve Marriot and Ray Davies)

7. Long Time Gone

~ written by Crosby, Still, Nash

8. Jeremiah Surrender

~ written by Levon Helm & Robbie Robertson

9. One Way Out

~ written by S. Williamson

10. Presence Of The Lord

~ written by Eric Clapton, done with Blind Faith

Thanks so much. Somehow I knew you would have some info for me! I figured that Sweet pickle salad must have been around that time based on the sound. I had no idea it had members of Jellyfish on it. Somebody just burned it for me with no info or anything and I could not find out much about it.

Our band does the Foamfoot version of "Presence of the Lord" note for note. It is flat out amazing (maybe not the way we do it, I mean them). I guess I will have to get the rest of that CD as well! I have some friends that are Black Crowes freaks and have all that stuff. Can't believe I never asked for the rest of Foamfoot.

I think what I have is a cd with a mix of the three SPS songs and some of the Foamfoot songs. I'll have to check and see.

Clothes And Food (SPS song mistakenly refered to as "Cry to Me Softly")

I guess I don't have the Foamfoot show - I must have not kept it after I heard it, for some odd reason. I figure it's out there to be had.

Edited by Analogman

going back to girl from a pawnshop, that might be my favorite black crowes song, especially live. goddamn is it good.

southern harmony, listened to on nice headphones, is my favorite crowes album

but overall, i like amorica more i think. i've said this a lot on here before but BYS is severely underrated. that might be my 3rd fave.