Grammy Nominations

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, they did. It was sort of a big deal.

True they did release but #1 i think it was too late (anything after October) and #2 they had no label so very difficult for Acadamy to give nomination to that kind of thing...in 2008 they will release in stores then maybe.

I don't think everyone would necessarily agree with this.

AGIB does have it's rocking moments, but so does SBS. I think they are about the same rockingwise.. I guess they are calling SBS "Rock" because it's a little more mainstream sounding than AGIB.. Now I definitely wouldn't call SBS mainstream, but it's a little easier on the ears for your average rock fan than AGIB is.. AGIB has the more "alternative" sounding songs like Spiders or I'm a Wheel.

AGIB does have it's rocking moments, but so does SBS. I think they are about the same rockingwise.. I guess they are calling SBS "Rock" because it's a little more mainstream sounding than AGIB.. Now I definitely wouldn't call SBS mainstream, but it's a little easier on the ears for your average rock fan than AGIB is.. AGIB has the more "alternative" sounding songs like Spiders or I'm a Wheel.

If we can go on the offerings of radio stations that advertise themselves as alternative rock, I don't think either album has anything close to it. I also think AGIB remains their most rock-oriented album since Being There.

No, I think those are two unrelated gripes, people complaining about the Foo Fighters being nominated, and people complaining about the Delilah thing.

Not that I have any idea about what the kids are listening to these days.

oooooh. Thanks for explaining, I was so confused. I'm pretty sure I know nothing about music so this is all so hard for me to comprehend. That song still has the lamest lyrics in the world, though.

I think the boys would rather be put in the rock category than the alt rock category, because they've talked about how they find describing their muisc as being "alternative" to be problematic. Even though I despise the grammys I can't help but feel happy that they got nominated.

Interesting that AGIB won the Grammy in 04 for Alternative album, while SBS is nominated in the Rock category. I guess it's some kind of recognition by the academy that SBS is...what? More mainstream? Less "edgy"? Does Alternative turn into Rock when it grows up? It's all very ironic given that AGIB "rocks" way harder than SBS.

Its in th 'rock' category because its more of of a 'classic rock' record than an 'alternative' one. Which is why alot of critics didn't like it that much (a bit 'retro' and 'safe' as opposed to 'edgy and 'daring' like AGIB and YHF)

does anybody really use the grammys as a barometer for what's good? like everybody else, i'm glad when bands i like get a nod, because i think they should get more appreciation, but i certainly don't look at the grammys as being a source of good judgement when it comes to quality music. every once and a while they get a few awards right in my eyes, but mostly it's a celebration of music i wouldn't even use to torture somebody.

does anybody really use the grammys as a barometer for what's good?

No

But sometimes it's fun to engage in the 'whose penis is bigger' contests that awards shows represent.

Baseball team or Chuck Norris?

LOL...Carlos is a great guy. Tom Hick's team is an unmitigated disaster.

I had not heard that SBS got a nomination....very cool, no matter what happens.

LouieB

It is very cool indeed.. Good bands do get nominations. I forgot about some of the other great musicians that have received nominations/awards over the years. Steely Dan, Coldplay (even though they haven't done shit in a while).. I guess they have to still have the crappy artists get nominations so they can fill up an entire awards show..

Speaking of Coldplay, if Chris Martin ever got his heart broken by Gwyneth Paltrow (which she has been notorious for in the past), his next album would be incredible!

I'm really happy for the guys. I think they're way past needing to win awards, but who doesn't like to be recognized. I like the Springsteen album and wouldn't mind seeing him win, but let's face it, Springsteen has enough Grammy's. At least it would be respectable to lose to him and maybe even the Foo Fighters (though as most people here agree, their new album is crap, at least they have some decent stuff from their past). But these other two nominees are a joke and it would break my heart to see real artists like Wilco lose to these sorry excuses for musicians.