For Emma Forever Ago

The record should show that I am confused by the loving embrace VC has given this record. It's okay, I guess, but cripes, people here really like it.

hey, i got an idea... maybe people connect with it on a completely different emotional level than you do?

it's a pretty absurd notion, but i'm just throwing it out there...

* p.s. if you're tired of hearing about this album now, just wait until next year after it's released wide

* p.p.s. read about the album, it made even more sense and impact once i did that after hearing it.

Guest Speed Racer
hey, i got an idea... maybe people connect with it on a completely different emotional level than you do?

it's a pretty absurd notion, but i'm just throwing it out there...

Wow. Every time (seriously, *every* time) someone posts about not liking something you happen to like, you go on about different levels of connectivity and emotional planes, etc. Maybe just put it in your sig?

Posting about not liking something is fine, and countering it with the fact that you like it is even better, as it keeps the conversation going. But just posting, "Dude, you're different for not liking it," or "Did you ever think people who like might see something you don't?" is a) provoking (not provocative); B) not enlightening as to why you actually like the record, and finally, c) kind of a shit thing to do in every thread about records you like.

Expand your thoughts, maybe?

It's a pretty absurd notion, but I'm just throwing it out there...

Wow. Every time (seriously, *every* time) someone posts about not liking something you happen to like, you go on about different levels of connectivity and emotional planes, etc. Maybe just put it in your sig?

Posting about not liking something is fine, and countering it with the fact that you like it is even better, as it keeps the conversation going. But just posting, "Dude, you're different for not liking it," or "Did you ever think people who like might see something you don't?" is a) provoking (not provocative); B) not enlightening as to why you actually like the record, and finally, c) kind of a shit thing to do in every thread about records you like.

Expand your thoughts, maybe?

It's a pretty absurd notion, but I'm just throwing it out there...

have you ever read TheMaker's posts before? if anyone else had posted that, i would have probably posted something more in depth, but his reasoning is often just to state "wow, i can't believe people like that as much as they do, what idiots", etc., thus my facetious reply.

all he had to do to get a decent response was post a decent and honest question like "wow, people here REALLY seem to like/connect with this album, can you explain to me what you like so much about it?" or even "What am i missing?", instead of "wow, i mean... it's ok... it's a pretty average album, but people here REALLY seem to love it" and leave it as an open-ended fairly backhanded comment. he wasn't asking a question as to why people love it so much, just making a statement about what he thinks about it.

and fwiw, i've spoke why i love Bon Iver's record so much numerous times before... but i did include that link to the backstory about the album in my initial post, i think that's a good start as to understanding why some people (myself anyway) like it so much.

Guest Speed Racer

I apologize for the blanket statement in your direction, Solace, but that attitude really riles me up on this board in general, regardless of the context. I shouldn't have targeted you specifically, and I'm sorry.

And for what it's worth, he concedes to the album being "okay," and doesn't understand why people really like it. It sounds like you were replying to something he might have said later, instead of what he actually said in that instance.

But anyway, glad you like album. :)

then you just misunderstood me then... i wasn't saying that those of us who love it are obviously on some "higher plane" or anything silly like that, i just asked TheMaker to consider that maybe people just connect with certain artists/records differently (i know it may be a "duh" statement, but many people tend to forget or ignore that fact), and if you don't, then you just don't, no harm no foul. if you truly want someone to explain what you feel you might be missing, then ask it straight away, don't beat around the bush about it.

i'm not gonna go into every M.I.A. thread and ask "what the fuck do you people see in this trash? i mean i enjoy a few songs, but WOW", because it's not my place to complain. that and I do get what people see/hear in her, i just tend to find her to be one of the more annoying new acts around.

:thumbup

:lol

And solace, I didn't call anybody an idiot, nor did I imply that anybody was one for liking this record. I just find it really odd that it has its own appreciation society here on these forums when I haven't really seen it praised en masse elsewhere. See also The Wrens and the Pernice Brothers, another couple of bands I find to be completely run-of-the-mill/drop-dead boring in every way, shape and form, but which are beloved by a surprising number of VCers. There are other bands talked about here that I don't like either - Animal Collective, Prince, etc. - but for the most part I refrain from commenting on their music, since praise for those guys and their music is pretty much universal and ubiquitous, not limited to just VC in the circles I tend to travel in.

But back to the album... it just sounds like Tunde Adebimpe with an acoustic guitar to me. I kept waiting for something to happen, but by the third spin I realized that most of the songs sounded the same and nothing was really jumping out at me. Didn't hate it at all, just thought it was totally unremarkable.

But back to the album... it just sounds like Tunde Adebimpe with an acoustic guitar to me. I kept waiting for something to happen, but by the third spin I realized that most of the songs sounded the same and nothing was really jumping out at me. Didn't hate it at all, just thought it was totally unremarkable.

fair enough...

but like i said, you'll see a LOT more praise in '08. maybe not "universal", but it'll be on a lot more EOY '08 lists than it will be on EOY '07 lists ;).

give it a few more chances... while it hit me like a ton of bricks right away, it grew on me a shit ton over the last 4 months

only 1 or 2 songs sound anything remotely like TVoTR btw, and only in the vocals, the rest don't sound very similiar whatsoever. Justin's voice is incredible, especially live.

• 11 months later...
In other news, I'd like to hear this record.
If you still haven't heard it at this point I will loan it to you or maybe even give it to you.

Being old school, I actually bought this album. Now I know I am going to wade into some shark infested water I may not want to wade into here, but after listening to the buzz for nearly a year, I just don't think I get this either. This is a pleasant and interesting album to be sure; I don't want anyone to think I hate it and frankly I need to listen to it a few more times, I'll cop to that, but what's with the extreme overdubbing and high singing and all that? What about a lack of songwriting focus much of the time? The guy was stuck in a cabin in northern Wisconsin with his Mac (or something) and what comes out sounds a bit more like cabin fever and screwing around than anything else. There are some good ideas for songs here to be sure and some really intriguing melodies (if anyone remember what those are...), but much of the production is claustophobic and at times irritating; rather than augmenting the material the production detracts like crazy. There is a reason people hire sidemen to work on music; it helps bring depth and different points of view to the material. This is like many one person productions, it lacks depth. It may end up on some end of year lists (it is now the end of the year so we shall see soon), but even from my limited perspective I have heard better albums this year.

Okay...having dropped this I will go listen to it again just for the hell of it. (worst or best use of too many semicolons in a post???)

LouieB

This record is good but it didn't click as being something great until yesterday. I went on a walk yesterday afternoon around the campus where I go to grad school with the ipod. It was so cold and the album was the perfect mood music for a walk in the cold. It just clicked. I don't know...It was one of those perfect music moments.

This record is good but it didn't click as being something great until yesterday. I went on a walk yesterday afternoon around the campus where I go to grad school with the ipod. It was so cold and the album was the perfect mood music for a walk in the cold. It just clicked. I don't know...It was one of those perfect music moments.

I can see that. I was told not to listen to it in the car. Considering it was made in the cold alone I guess listening to it in the cold alone makes sense.

LouieB

I gave this another listen while reading today and fell asleep so I guess that doesn't count as a real listen. My impressions have not changed from what I did hear, some pretty good songs in the making, just not really there...

LouieB

I don't think I can fairly evaluate this album -- I just happened to discover it at a time when I needed it, when it struck me as apt and perfect in every way. It almost feels more like a soundtrack when I listen to it now, like I enter this whole other realm and disappear. And that's me trying not to sound garbagey sentimental.

but what's with the extreme overdubbing and high singing and all that? What about a lack of songwriting focus much of the time? The guy was stuck in a cabin in northern Wisconsin with his Mac (or something) and what comes out sounds a bit more like cabin fever and screwing around than anything else.

LouieB

the album is 100% analog

This is one of those lights off, headphones discs. Like Fleet Foxes, it didn't click with me until I listened to it with full attention. It can't just be on in the background or when you rushing to work in the car. But when it clicks with you, oh boy!

:thumbup

for those that DO like Justin's voice and music, there's 2 of his early solo recordings that are finally circulating. i've had Hazeltons for a few months and some of it is very similiar to the Bon Iver record. The other one is a bit more mix & match release, with some demos, some live stuff, etc. His voice on some of that is his older/deeper Springsteen-ish voice like on the DeYarmond Edison records.

as for those who can't get into it or find it overrated, i guess i can understand... i don't know how i'd have reacted to hearing it after all the hype either. Justin personally sent it to a bunch of us local Twin Cities bloggers in late July of '07, and while i quickly became enamored with it, i didn't think it'd become nearly as successful & lauded as it has... i don't think anyone could have predicted that.