For Emma Forever Ago

I don't believe this for a second.

how come?

it's quite easy to overdub vocals with even a 4-track analog recorder...

don't believe me if you want, but he mentioned it to us first-hand. Justin is a fantastic producer (produced the last 2 Rosebuds album and the latest Land of Talk record)

how come?

don't believe me if you want, but he mentioned it to us first-hand. Justin is a fantastic producer (produced the last 2 Rosebuds album and the latest Land of Talk record)

he's talked about his extensive use of pro-tools. i didn't know you could use pro tools with analog recordings.

ps- where are those early recordings you were talking about?

he's talked about his extensive use of pro-tools. i didn't know you could use pro tools with analog recordings.

ps- where are those early recordings you were talking about?

weird... in an interview we did w/ him last October he said he used an 8-track and an SM-57 at his cabin for all of the recording and mixed it later using a very old Pro-Tools setup, but i found that interview you're referring to on mp3.com that contradicts that. huh... well, regardless it sounds very natural & warm to my ears, no matter what it was recorded onto :) .

and again here he talks about using an 8-track on the Onion AV club:

AVC: What's your approach to writing lyrics? They seemed based more on how they sound than any literal meaning.

JV: I've always been into the Springsteen thing, writing pretty literally and trying to tell stories. With these songs, I was creating sounds first. I would create a space for the vocals, then transcribe vocal sounds and listen to what it sounded like. I would get lyric ideas from the sound of the voice. And I was actually able to pull out more meaningful stuff, personally speaking, because of that. I would surprise myself by what I was singing about, just all these weird, subconscious melodies and sounds. I had no proper idea of what I should be doing. It was a great release, actually, to break up with my band and not have that support system any more. I was alone, I had no rules, I had no band, I had no sound I sounded like, I had no one to answer to. I just felt a little freer. I went back to those days as a 14-year-old, working on an 8-track.

*shrug* :D

hardly anything these days is truly "analog" recording anyway, even the White Stripes, who were adamant about doing only 100% analog recordings moved to recording analog and editing/mixing digitally a couple albums back. i think the stigma of digital vs. analog is finally going away thankfully.

the solo recordings are on what.cd

how come?

There are some things on there that sound like they were run through processors. And in The Wolves, that vocal tuner is hard to miss. I mean, if that's what Justin says he did, who am I to say he didn't, but to my ears, it doesn't sound 100% analog. Didn't mean to start any drama(if I did).

we can't all be perfectionists Lou ;)
Uh okay..not seeking perfection here, but since I am not a musician, hearing an out of tune guitar needs to be pretty far out of tune for me to pick it out. I am all in favor of lo-fi low budget DIY recording....just saying...if you over dub yourself to the point of sounding like a choir it might also be possible to get a tuner, that's all. What else did he have to do sitting in that cabin all those months. Honestly I am not being picky about the production per se.

LouieB

There are some things on there that sound like they were run through processors. And in The Wolves, that vocal tuner is hard to miss. I mean, if that's what Justin says he did, who am I to say he didn't, but to my ears, it doesn't sound 100% analog. Didn't mean to start any drama(if I did).

no worries, now i'm kinda unsure myself since he's stated differentiating things to two different sources ;)

Uh okay..not seeking perfection here, but since I am not a musician, hearing an out of tune guitar needs to be pretty far out of tune for me to pick it out. I am all in favor of lo-fi low budget DIY recording....just saying...if you over dub yourself to the point of sounding like a choir it might also be possible to get a tuner, that's all. What else did he have to do sitting in that cabin all those months. Honestly I am not being picky about the production per se.

LouieB

i'm guessing you're referring to the "out of tune guitar" on Skinny Love?

it's an open tuning, fwiw, and played on a pretty rickety old resonator guitar, thus the "out of tune" type notes you'll hear at times on that song.

i'm guessing you're referring to the "out of tune guitar" on Skinny Love?

it's an open tuning, fwiw, and played on a pretty rickety old resonator guitar, thus the "out of tune" type notes you'll hear at times on that song.

Yea, that would be it. I didn't get the whole post-post modern thing I guess that an out of tune guitar signifies heartbreak, etc. My bad.... sort of an Ornette Coleman slightly off tune avant effect. Got it.

LouieB

• 4 weeks later...
Man, I am listening to this right now for the first time (Re:Stacks specifically) and absolutely get it. Gorgeous stuff.

Yes.. Amazing stuff. I've been listening to him almost a year now.. Totally fell in love with the album on first listen... I was fortunate enough to see him open for Wilco in Charleston. I remember the sound being so clear, and band was incredibly tight.

Yeah, some people don't get Justin but that's cool.. I think I'll listen right now too. :thumbup

• 3 months later...
For Massachusetts folks (or anyone who wants to travel), Bon Iver is playing two shows at a really small (300 seats) theater on Cape Cod.

May 11 and 12 at the historic Cape Cinema in Dennis.

Tickets are on sale now at the Cape Cinema website.

he played there last summer as well and i heard they were pretty amazing shows :)

http://juliannvachon.wordpress.com/2008/07...ve-in-cape-cod/