I have my little cousin this year in my family's gift exchange and my little cousin (he's 14) is a big into music. I was told by my uncle that he's recently been digging electronica. I know that is a pretty broad description, but I was hoping for some ideas from all of you out there (you all have such good musical taste). If it were up to me, I'd get him LCD Soundsystem and Animal Collective, but I don't know if those would suffice. Any recommendations?

absolutely not Animal Collective.

You probably can't go wrong w/ LCD Soundsystem

It's tough with that broad of a description, I mean I would definitely recommend the Tough Alliance, but he might think it's too poppy. Maybe Simian Mobile Disco or Justice.

One of my favorite albums of the year is Gui Boratto's Chromophobia, but it's sort of ambient minimalist techno

great recommendations so far.

i'll also suggest lcd soundsystem, if he doesn't have it, and dan deacon, who is whacked out crazy.

odd nosdam is more of a noisy electronic amalgam of found sounds, mild beats, and fuzz.

a band called growing are more pure electronica sans beats.

but definitely check out deepchord present echospace : the coldest season. deep ambient house music on all analog equipment. incredible.

One of my favorite albums of the year is Gui Boratto's Chromophobia, but it's sort of ambient minimalist techno

i've been wanting to get this. good to hear another recommendation.

Daft Punk.

Sure. Also, everything I have heard from Boards of Canada I have really liked.

get him cross (or +) by justice, or if you really want to take a risk try load blown by black dice. trouble is, if his father is the one who has told you the music he likes then you might find out that he's not into electronica at all, and instead listens to the sugababes - never trust parents. (i'm not having a go at the sugababes, by the way - their new single is yet more proof of how great they are as a pop band, my point is that they aren't electronica).

don't get him animal collective - they're incredible, but not what i'd call electronica. maybe you could get him silver apples by silver apples and tell him that this is where it all started.

Thank you for all the recommendations! I think I kinda copped out with my choices, but I wanted something that would challenge him, but at the same time get him two fantastic albums. Dan Deacon's album is amazing; I don't think I gave it a fair shake when I heard it the first time. After reading through what you all said, and doing research via youtube and amazon, I have a whole slew of new cds that I want to get. As for the two I chose, I stuck with Sound of Silver, but for the second one I picked Kid A. It's far and away my favorite album of all time, and I got it when I was his age, so maybe it'll send him on a musical journey and open his eyes like it did mine. I included a letter saying if he liked those, I have a whole lot more where that came from. Thanks again.

Thank you for all the recommendations! I think I kinda copped out with my choices, but I wanted something that would challenge him, but at the same time get him two fantastic albums. Dan Deacon's album is amazing; I don't think I gave it a fair shake when I heard it the first time. After reading through what you all said, and doing research via youtube and amazon, I have a whole slew of new cds that I want to get. As for the two I chose, I stuck with Sound of Silver, but for the second one I picked Kid A. It's far and away my favorite album of all time, and I got it when I was his age, so maybe it'll send him on a musical journey and open his eyes like it did mine. I included a letter saying if he liked those, I have a whole lot more where that came from. Thanks again.

good choices and thanks for updating us. i'm always wondering what happens when someone gets all these recs. i still need kid a myself.

I just got Burial's new album, "Untrue", which is a dubstep album, its pretty relaxed and pretty good (I've only given it a few spins though). I also enjoyed The Field's "From Here We Go Sublime" that came out earlier this year. And the new Daft Punk cd is pretty stellar as well, it's got alot of energy and would probably be enjoyed by a 14 year old. I don't know how much a 14 year old would really enjoy the new Black Dice...but I may just be making assumptions based on my own taste in music at 14 (yuck).

Edit: I didn't see that virtualreason bought the albums already. I need to read more carefully.