Malkmus using Tweedy's place...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to marry it. Nearly every song is "epic." There are actually moments that I like better on the previously posted live versions (The "La, la, la's" on "We Can't Help You"). I'm in complete agreement about Janet's ass-kickingness on the drums. The whole album is really a thrill to listen to. I had the biggest grin stuck on my face throughout my first listen. It was like Christmas. :D

The second track is good, the fifth one is good too, but the album just hasn't hit me yet. I really liked his first album and Pig Lib had it's moments. I really never listened to Face the truth though. I'm not into the jammy stuff. It does feel like a proper follow up to Pig Lib though.

Spent the whole afternoon driving around listening to "Real Emotional Trash" for the first time, and what a heavenly day it was! I can immediately say that this is his best album (imo, of course) since Brighten the Corners. I loved every track, & that's rare for any record, let alone a Malkmus one.

When the title track starts picking up speed at the 5 minute mark, another thing occurred to me: I think Janet Weiss has to be the best pure musician (whatever that means, I'm no expert, but I do know my Pavement) that has ever been in a SM-led group. Any thoughts on that?

Even though I already have the leak (sweet!), I'm probably gonna preorder this. Matador is usually pretty cheap and the goodies they throw in is always worth it. And I can't recommend this album enough. Rock.

Spent the whole afternoon driving around listening to "Real Emotional Trash" for the first time, and what a heavenly day it was! I can immediately say that this is his best album (imo, of course) since Brighten the Corners. I loved every track, & that's rare for any record, let alone a Malkmus one.

When the title track starts picking up speed at the 5 minute mark, another thing occurred to me: I think Janet Weiss has to be the best pure musician (whatever that means, I'm no expert, but I do know my Pavement) that has ever been in a SM-led group. Any thoughts on that?

The Jicks, in general, are super tight, where as Pavement was pretty sloppy.

I'm a pretty big Pavement fan, but I've yet to pickup any of SM's post Pavement records...any recommendations?>

His first solo - titled "Stephen Malkmus" is my favourite by a long way, it sounds nothing like his other solo releases - it's very poppy, really. (listen to jo jo's jacket & phantasies here to see what i mean). Then Pig Lib is his second best.

All of his solo albums are great with lots of great songs but it seems the rock factor increases as time goes on. It's pretty scientific so I've included a line graph.

malkmus.jpg

Malkmus sort of disses Wilco's loft in the new Paste Magazine:

"They're totally into the ephemera of music. It's a boy shrine to vintage guitars and equipment."

I don't really see that as dissing at all.

I don't really see that as dissing at all.

Yeah, I should have included the full excerpt.

The article says the loft "was still not ideal to Malkmus. "They're totally into the ephemera of music. It's a boy shrine to vintage guitars and equipment.' Malkmus adds. "So we finished the vocals there and did some guitars and keyboards. But it's very self-contained. You have to stay within eight feet of the console, basically."