Malkmus using Tweedy's place...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's interesting that no one really likes Face the Truth.

that was the first solo disc i had picked up and i really loved it.

then i thought i'd work my way backwards and got Pig Lib and i can't get into it. i've tried several times since i loved FTT so much, but i just can't.

what is the price on the pre-order for Trash?

i looked around the site and never saw a price.

>I don't really see that as dissing at all.

>Yeah, I should have included the full excerpt.

The article says the loft "was still not ideal to Malkmus. "They're totally into the ephemera of music. It's a boy shrine to vintage guitars and equipment.' Malkmus adds. "So we finished the vocals there and did some guitars and keyboards. But it's very self-contained. You have to stay within eight feet of the console, basically."

I read the Paste article and also thought it was intended as a slight knock. He seemed genuinely thankful for the offer to use the loft, but seemed to find it unsatisfying, to the point they left for yet another studio.

• 4 weeks later...

Real Emotional Trash received a very strong RS review.

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/...emotional_trash

Stephen Malkmus fans divide into Pig Lib fans or Face the Truth fans, the same way Pavement fans split into Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain or Wowee Zowee partisans: Either you like the guy best when he zones out on the guitar for hours at a time, mumbling and rambling and diddling around, or you prefer his brief, quirky song fragments. Last time, on 2005's Face the Truth, he offered a bunch of cute freak-folk ditties

Too late to preorder? If so, can I get the live show or b-sides which have already been sent out. I usually do these and totally forgot. Can trade last year's sordid sentinels live show or something.

You can probably still preorder it since it doesn't come out until Tuesday. Once they process your order and send you a password, you should be able to download the live show and B-sides.

i must have missed the original reply.

since then i've listened to Pig Lib more and i dig it more now.

FAce the Truth is still the 'jam' though.

i think i will do the preorder.

are the extra downloads then up forever or do you have a limited time* in which you can download?

i have to go to my parents' work to have access to fast internet.

*the buy early get now website seems to mention something about '90 days.'

• 3 weeks later...

I recently started with Face the Truth and I think it's great. I then moved on to Real Emotional Trash. I think it's good as well (still getting into it). I can't wait to hear the other two solo albums. My rambling point is, I also bought Crooked Rain and Wowie Zowie based on the strength of Face the Truth and am not as impressed. Is Pavement a " guess you had to be there " band? Malkmus's solo stuff blows me away. Pavement, not so much.

I recently started with Face the Truth and I think it's great. I then moved on to Real Emotional Trash. I think it's good as well (still getting into it). I can't wait to hear the other two solo albums. My rambling point is, I also bought Crooked Rain and Wowie Zowie based on the strength of Face the Truth and am not as impressed. Is Pavement a " guess you had to be there " band? Malkmus's solo stuff blows me away. Pavement, not so much.

If you like Face the Truth then I think you like Pavement's Terror Twilight.

to me FTT could come right after TT.

I'm digging Real ET. A song or two wouldn't hurt from some editing down though.

My first favorites were track 1 and Out of Reaches.

Today I wanted to hear Gardenia and Elmo Delmo over and over.

the poster from Matador was kinda smashed up.

i also ordered the self-titled.

it's melodies are a little more "obtuse Malkmus" so i think it's going to take longer like with Pig Lib.

i think i like Face the Truth because the melodies are so strong and to the point and the one long song, No More Shoes, is solid throughout. it's an album i can listen straight through.

Real Emotional Trash is a little long.

i like all the songs but i don't want to listen to them all at the same time, just in shifts.

Yeah, I've tried to listen to Pavement and I just can't get into it at all. But I do enjoy Real Emotional Trash.

You guys are weirdos.

after listening to Pig Lib some more i really really love it now, all tracks.

i dig the self-titled pretty much too, but i think Discretion Grove may be my least favorite and the most boring of all songs on all four of his solo discs.

according to wiki it was the first single.

i remember him playing jenny on one of the late shows at the time.

"In the Slow Century DVD, Malkmus is seen playing a rough version of "Discretion Grove" to an unenthusiastic Pavement. "Discretion Grove" was the album's first single."

i got to agree with the rest of Pavement on that one.

The Hook

and

Sheets

are my favorite Malkmus tracks of the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe this is light years gone by now, but I interviewed SM today for a local paper and he mentioned being upset that Paste made it look like he was dissing the loft. He thinks he was misquoted, and had nothing but nice things to say about it and the band, especially Jeff. Among other things, he also talked about the NBA for a long, long time.