:w00t You've seen this already?

The New Yorker had a stunning review of it ... and they hate everything -- for praise to be so liberally heaped upon a film is quite odd in those pages.

shhhh. . . I was lucky, quite lucky.

I would like to see There Will Be Blood - though Graham is apprehensive. He says he doesn't know if he can stomach another film with a grimacing Daniel Day Lewis.

We saw a trailer for The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - it made me feel itchy.

please see it, and make him see it, I honestly dont think you will regret it. IMO, everyone should see this. Yes, I'm a biased PTA fan, but push that aside, this is a must see, no questions asked.

That right there is pretty much my list of top viewing priorities as the year winds down.

This year has felt quite fresh, I personally have had some wonderful theater moments, and honestly it feels like it's been awhile since I've had so many movies effect me in a year.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This year has felt quite fresh, I personally have had some wonderful theater moments, and honestly it feels like it's been awhile since I've had so many movies effect me in a year.

Looking at my list of favorites, I sort of felt the opposite--but most likely, that's because I missed a lot of intriguing titles this year and therefore my number of personal connections are down. (Likewise, my list of priorities is much longer than usual.) As you know, I feel modern cinema is, overall, in a healthy state, but this year I just haven't had time to explore all the worthwhile corners. I'll catch up eventually, though.

No Country for Old Men is the best English language film I've seen in a decade or more. Technically perfect, emotionally gripping, suspenseful, and proof that - MY GOD, YES - Cormac McCarthy's work is not unfilmable after all.

Knocked Up and Hot Fuzz are two of the funniest movies I've seen in recent years, and they both had as much heart as they did belly laughs. That's really rare.

Persepolis and Ratatouille knocked me out for very different reasons.

I should note that I live in a cultureless fuckhole where no good movies play, and therefore haven't yet seen I'm Not There, The Darjeeling Limited, Juno, et al. (Yes, I'm escaping soon. Don't worry 'bout me.)

I would like to see There Will Be Blood - though Graham is apprehensive. He says he doesn't know if he can stomach another film with a grimacing Daniel Day Lewis.

This looks unbelievably good, and I was mixed re: Magnolia and cool towards Punch Drunk Love. Maybe the most chilling trailer I've ever seen. Great editing, really nice photography and that score just feels like a razor skimming gooseflesh or something. Didn't Johnny Greenwood write the music for this flick? Anybody? Bueller...?

Guest Speed Racer

No Country For Old Men (the only film of 2007 I've actually seen. You know, we should start a 'Best of 2006' for us Netflix subscribers that don't leave the house. :lol ) Anyway, I just thought it was perfect - it would have been so easy to make it a formulaic movie, but the Coen brothers really made a great film of it.

There Will Be Blood

Again, haven't seen it yet, but Daniel Day-Lewis could not only shit on a plate and win an Oscar for it, but he would actually deserve that Oscar!

Still wondering if anyone else on VC has seen Southland Tales, which might be wonderful. Talk me through this, people. I'm thinking yes.

Not yet... still waiting to have access to it.

Most of the good stuff, i.e. There Will Be Blood, No Country for Old Men, Juno doesn't get UK releases until 2008 unfortunately.

I didn't get to the cinema quite as much as I usually do this year, which is a shame. However, my favourites were definitely The Bourne Ultimatum and The Darjeeling Limited. I did like Atonment, but thought it lacked something to make it truely great.

Biggest disappointment: Rescue Dawn - Werner Herzog devoid of everything he was.

Just saw No Country on Saturday and loved it. The g.f. said that a lot of the shots reminded her of Sergio Leone.

Besides that, I really liked The Murder of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

The preview for the Daniel-Day Lewis movie about oil looks pretty sweet.

anyway,

dcd

I haven't seen a damn thing this year that wasn't geared toward kids.

So, the best thing I've seen is: Ratitoullie

Guest David Puddy
Reign Over Me

that's a joke right?

for me, it's hot fuzz & no country for old men at the top. two of the best movies i've ever seen. i'm hoping there will be blood will join the list.