• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

Wow.

I saw the midnight showing of this last night. It was amazing. Honestly, one of the best films I've ever seen.

I'm blown away, I think I may see it again tomorrow.

this and Wall-E can go eat a dick, or something.

Unless this is some sort of contrarian experiment, I don't see why you would actively avoid and degrade the two most critically acclaimed movies of the year. Seems odd.

Spectacular.

Also, Jack Nicholson is no longer the best Joker.

Unfortunately, I have very little faith when award season comes around.

Nevertheless, the Dark Knight eclipses all films from this year.

That's what she said.

I thought the movie was well paced. I found myself wondering how much could be left and really not wanting it to end. It's exciting from start to finish.

I thought the whole boat sequence lacked any tension whatsoever. People on both boats were way too calm. I felt for that to be the Joker's final act - was a big letdown. When they finally got to Two Face and Gordon's family, I was muttering "don't care, don't care, don't care..."

I thought the whole boat sequence lacked any tension whatsoever. People on both boats were way too calm. I felt for that to be the Joker's final act - was a big letdown. When they finally got to Two Face and Gordon's family, I was muttering "don't care, don't care, don't care..."

I felt the same way... (Spoilers to follow...)

A lot of the Joker's machinations - "choose one or the other" and the inmate with stomach issues in the jail cell - were a way too reminiscent of the 'Saw' killer to my liking. I didn't buy Harvey's transformation either, how easily he was manipulated to the dark side by the same person who put him there. And don't get me started on the convenient little bit of technology that Wayne Enterprises conveniently develops that happens to conveniently allow Batman to save Gotham and enact his own Patriot Act / Homeland Security style surveillance.

In fact, I don't think I would have liked the movie at all if Ledger wasn't so likeable - yes, likeable - as the Joker. He made a ridiculous character in a ridiculous premise seem believable and real. His dialogue with Batman - "Why would I kill you? You complete me." "We could do this forever", etc., was actually sweet and poignant (especially given the real-life circumstances), and totally reminded me of the similar interplay in 'The Killing Joke'. And he had a lot of very funny lines and moments, barking out how he "loves this job" when ramming his semi through Gotham, admonishing Batman for hitting his interrogation victims on the head first, and of course the "pencil trick", :lol and the way he fumbles with a detonator outside the hospital in his evil nurse costume... classic cinema moments. He singlehandedly raised the movie to another level.

The movie is a relentless stream of gratuitous violence, and gimmicky and overly convoluted plotting, and I felt more than a little manipulated and empty at the end. It's nowhere near the masterpiece people are claiming it is. I'd give this movie 3 stars and barely at that, and only due to Ledger's Joker.

I thought the whole boat sequence lacked any tension whatsoever. People on both boats were way too calm. I felt for that to be the Joker's final act - was a big letdown.

I certainly agree with this. Not a perfect movie and not, probably, as good as a lot of people said it was or I wanted it to be, but I was still very happy with it. A very, very good first half.....a bit of a let-down but still awesome because of Heath Ledger second half.

And a spoiler, so don't read below:

You kind of have to wonder if, since the Joker does not die, they intended to bring him into the next film to finish some things. It seemed, and maybe this is just wishful thinking because the end kind of sucked (I can't decide how I feel about it), that the Joker probably still had some tricks up his sleeve.