One's a cartoon, the other is based on a comic book, or something.

I prefer romantic comedies.

I'm assuming you were just responding for the sake of responding without actually being serious here, but judging movies based on genres is fucking retarded.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Jules
I'm assuming you were just responding for the sake of responding without actually being serious here, but judging movies based on genres is fucking retarded.

If you assumed that, then why the expletive? Calm down.

Anyway, I don't see where I actually judged any movies. I just said I'm not interested in seeing a fucking cartoon or a comic book movie. What's wrong with that? Other people are excited about these and I can respect that.

I'll probably get around to seeing The Dark Knight, but most likely on DVD.

SPOILERS!

This movie was flawless. By far the best super hero movie I've ever seen. Heath Ledger and Christian Bale was/is two of the best actors of our times. I agree fully with what was said before, Ledger made an unbelievable character in an unbelievable plot seem plausible. The score was terrific, the two note hum used for The Joker was great, I wish I thought of that during my score writing days in school. I'm glad they had the balls to kill off Rachel Dawes, instead of making it a perfect happy ending. I know they're going to do a third movie but I wish they wouldn't, since I sincerely doubt they'd be able to top this film.

Unless this is some sort of contrarian experiment, I don't see why you would actively avoid and degrade the two most critically acclaimed movies of the year. Seems odd.

what critics are we talking about here?

i've not seen the film yet, so i can't exactly say if it's good or not, but i think the prospect that it and wall-e really are the 2 best films of the year makes me a little sad inside.

So just saw this and I thought it was good. I heard comparisons to Heat (which i can see) and Godfather II (which I can't). I think it was great that it attempted to explore deeper and darker themes than is typical in this sort of movie. Also that it largely avoided the heavy-handed dialog of the first one. I liked Batman Begins quite a bit but that dialog killed me. That said, these are the only comic book movies I've ever liked. I actually wish they would have gone further with it though. The themes were so overt.

A boat of criminals and boat of innocent civilians? Come on! We get it, give us more credit than that. I also would have liked to see more character development. I think you could have lost the whole Hong Kong scene and certainly the Scarecrow scene and devoted more time to developing Harvey Dent's character. Maybe they thought they needed the action to keep the mainstream audiences because it is such a dark film. I just felt like they went 75% of the way there and for that I give 3/4 stars.

A boat of criminals and boat of innocent civilians? Come on! We get it, give us more credit than that.

criminals? they weren't convicted of anything yet

Dark Knight is the best batman movie. if the never-ending money-piling movie franchise were to ever call it a day, now would be the time, they won't top this.

criminals? they weren't convicted of anything yet

Okay maybe I missed something, but was one ferry NOT filled with prisoners!?! That's the whole (painfully obvious) point, there's even goodness in the most wretched criminals (the most wretched looking throws the detonator out the window) contrary to what the Joker thought.

Okay maybe I missed something, but was one ferry NOT filled with prisoners!?! That's the whole (painfully obvious point), there's even goodness in the most wretched criminals (the most wretched looking throws the detonator out the window) contrary to what the Joker thought.

second-guessing myself now, but i thought they were moving the loads of criminals they arrested who were awaiting trial. i was playing devil's advocate for them.

So just saw this and I thought it was good. I heard comparisons to Heat (which i can see) and Godfather II (which I can't). I think it was great that it attempted to explore deeper and darker themes than is typical in this sort of movie. Also that it largely avoided the heavy-handed dialog of the first one. I liked Batman Begins quite a bit but that dialog killed me. That said, these are the only comic book movies I've ever liked. I actually wish they would have gone further with it though. The themes were so overt.

A boat of criminals and boat of innocent civilians? Come on! We get it, give us more credit than that. I also would have liked to see more character development. I think you could have lost the whole Hong Kong scene and certainly the Scarecrow scene and devoted more time to developing Harvey Dent's character. Maybe they thought they needed the action to keep the mainstream audiences because it is such a dark film. I just felt like they went 75% of the way there and for that I give 3/4 stars.

Here us a review that sums up some of what I mean above. I warn you that it is not a kind review (he definitely didn't like it, whereas I did) and it has many major spoilers.

That was a good read. Mostly because he agree with what I was talking about earlier.

Yeah, from everything I was hearing I was expecting the movie to go deeper. I don't think you can raise issues such as terrorism, response to terrorism, domestic surveillance in the way they did without giving it more depth. Not to mention explore the ideas of what makes individuals good or bad without giving the characters more depth. It wanted to be something more, but as I said earlier it seemed reluctant to go all the way there and therefore many of the themes didn't carry weight for me. Instead, it was just a good, entertaining comic book movie.

That was a good read. Mostly because he agree with what I was talking about earlier.

this is the same type of crap I was talking about in the Dr. Dog thread- again I don't mind snobbery or pretentiousness, but I hate when reviewers go at length to throw punches. It's a god damn Batman movie, not a Nietchzeian exposition on the psychology of the high and lows of society. Using the term overrated when going at lengths to describe how Alan Moore "does The Joker better" is the biggest contradiction of the entire thing-- most comic writers (ESPECIALLY Alan Moore) are overrated in their own right. Expecting some sort of freak of nature-- an entertaining pop culture movie displaying psychological studies and philosophical concerns-- in a PG-13 Batman movie will set you up to write one of those inane, immature-yet-nuanced reviews. Pop culture is lucky to get what it got out of this movie. It could have been much, much, worse.

Liked, not loved. Kinda had the same problem Burton's had - the villain was more interesting than the hero.

Here us a review that sums up some of what I mean above. I warn you that it is not a kind review (he definitely didn't like it, whereas I did) and it has many major spoilers.

89 words into the review, and I can already tell by the writing style that not only does the reviewer not understand the movie, but that the reviewer towers above all by objectifying all issues. There are unnecessary sentences in that review that doesn't even benefit his/her argument. Starting from the small pissants to the over-generalization of everything, the writer does not want to stick with a topic or a point really. There's nit-picking about the opinions made, not the presentation. This isn't a review; it's a rant.

Whoever is maintaining that magazine should desperately search for an editor, or a new one.

Also, "reverse-racism trick"?