Sky Blue Sky gets some love (I think)

Seriously, hip hop is not even music so I am startled by its inclusion in this list. Very disturbing.

Kanyeezy will tear you to muthafuckin' bits. He don't like it when pidizzles insult dat shit.

That's that crack music nigga

That real black music nigga

no i'm not pulling that out of my ass, that's off of Late Registration.

Kanyeezy will tear you to muthafuckin' bits. He don't like it when pidizzles insult dat shit.

That's that crack music nigga

That real black music nigga

no i'm not pulling that out of my ass, that's off of Late Registration.

So it's awesome to be closeminded, huh?

When it comes to rap music, it sure is.

I would be delighted to hear a thoughtful explanation of this post.

You know, I understand that people don't enjoy hip hop. I just don't understand why many of those people go out of their way to insult it.

I used to feel that way. It was mainly because of sampling, which at the time felt like cheating. "Hey, go make your own music! Quit copying other people." But really, it's kind of like a musical collage. Picasso did collages and nobody complains about that.

Also, I think a lot of people see, or think they see, the "typical" rap song/rapper (talking about gang banging, shooting people, smackin' the ho's, rollin' with a 40, smoking pot, etc.) and think that that's all there is. I don't really go for .50, but I do like Kanye, Public Enemy and The Roots.

I do have a problem with a large chunk of the subject matter in a lot of hip hop, but that doesn't mean I hate the entire genre.

I used to feel that way. It was mainly because of sampling, which at the time felt like cheating. "Hey, go make your own music! Quit copying other people." But really, it's kind of like a musical collage. Picasso did collages and nobody complains about that.

Also, I think a lot of people see, or think they see, the "typical" rap song/rapper (talking about gang banging, shooting people, smackin' the ho's, rollin' with a 40, smoking pot, etc.) and think that that's all there is. I don't really go for .50, but I do like Kanye, Public Enemy and The Roots.

I do have a problem with a large chunk of the subject matter in a lot of hip hop, but that doesn't mean I hate the entire genre.

I actually think sampling when done right (See: Late Registration, DJ Shadow's Grey Album, or the king of sample albums Paul's Boutique), can be incredibly impressive. Yeah, taking a hook right off of a popular song is annoying, but doing something like PB, where they reportedly sampled like 100 different songs, you can't say that they are doing anything but creating their own music, even if they are using other people's sounds.

If you don't like hip hop, thats fine. But there's no reason to go out of your way to show off that you are an ignorant jackass.

I think a lot of people see, or think they see, the "typical" rap song/rapper (talking about gang banging, shooting people, smackin' the ho's, rollin' with a 40, smoking pot, etc.) and think that that's all there is. I don't really go for .50, but I do like Kanye, Public Enemy and The Roots.

I agree.

There are some of creative talented Rap/Hip Hop Artist out there, but alot of them get a bad rap cause of the other crap. I think same goes in all genres of music, but mostly in rap and country.

One part of rap that has become an absolute cliche is the whole "that guy dissed me so I'm going to shoot him" crap. East coast vs. West coast... puh-lease. Ryan Adams and Wilco have had choice remarks for each other over the years, but nobody's gonna pop a cap in somebody's ass.

I usually hate the phrase 'shut up and sing/rap' but it seems appropriate here.

Hey, I like Kanye. I'd put Late Registration as one of my favorite albums ever, minus Celebration probably, because that song is just kinda useless floating there near the back, but Gone redeems that so I'm sometimes willing to sit through it.

Pretty much Kanye is the most rap I can stand, mostly because he actually does more than that "shoot you up" and "bang hos" type of stuff that is rank throughout rap music (which is kinda what i was playing at?). Though he lost a little of that meaning with Graduation, to be truthfully honest, he still is the best rapper worth listening to today.

Hey, I like Kanye. I'd put Late Registration as one of my favorite albums ever, minus Celebration probably, because that song is just kinda useless floating there near the back, but Gone redeems that so I'm sometimes willing to sit through it.

Pretty much Kanye is the most rap I can stand, mostly because he actually does more than that "shoot you up" and "bang hos" type of stuff that is rank throughout rap music (which is kinda what i was playing at?). Though he lost a little of that meaning with Graduation, to be truthfully honest, he still is the best rapper worth listening to today.

the Roots, Common and MF Doom (to name a few) are all head and shoulders above anything Kanye's ever done.

the Roots, Common and MF Doom (to name a few) are all head and shoulders above anything Kanye's ever done.

Kanye's my favorite going, but there are a lot of great hip hop artists not doing the '"shoot you up' and 'bang hos' type of stuff" as tibbles so eloquently put it.

Off the top of my head (besides those listed by Geoff):

Nas

Lupe Fiasco

Pharoahe Monch

Little Brother

CunninLynguists

Talib Kweli

Rhymefest

Pete Philly & Perquisite

El-P

Murs

Aesop Rock

and on and on....

Kanye's my favorite going, but there are a lot of great hip hop artists not doing the '"shoot you up' and 'bang hos' type of stuff" as tibbles so eloquently put it.

You're overlooking the fact that if an artist isn't mentioned in the mainstream media, he or she doesn't actually exist. Same thing with movies: If it's not advertised on TV, it's clearly not worth seeing.

For the record, Lupe's new album is spectacular (Maybe my favorite album of the year, and certainly my favorite hip hop album of the year), and it is basically one long diatribe against the "mainstream" of rap.

"Dumb It Down" is probably the most intelligent, self aware hip hope song I've ever heard.

For the record, Lupe's new album is spectacular (Maybe my favorite album of the year, and certainly my favorite hip hop album of the year), and it is basically one long diatribe against the "mainstream" of rap.

"Dumb It Down" is probably the most intelligent, self aware hip hope song I've ever heard.

Yeah, I've listened to it through twice since I bought it yesterday. I'm still trying to digest it. I don't know if I ever remember an artist releasing an album that is as different from the first as this. The lyrics and flow are breathtaking, and they fixed the breath control problems that existed in his first album.

This album is just so much darker and more atmospheric than Food and Liquor.