Interesting Tweedy Article from the Riverfront Times

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But when they're not coming to St. Louis I get an excuse to travel and have experiences that go beyond the concert. Perhaps some of the local fans should give that a shot.

I feel this way too. I live in Dallas now, but when Wilco doesn't come through DFW it just gives me an excuse to spend a day or two in Austin, San Antonio, or Houston. Hell, my good friend from STL will usually fly down and go to the Texas shows with me. Sure it can be kind of a pain, but there are upsides.

that all depends on the individual. Warhol considered New York "home", even though he was from Pittsburgh.

Yeah, that''s a tricky subject. A band I know from an hour outside STL moved to New York and calls them self a NY punk band. Thats kind of hard to take for real when I wouldn't even consider them a St. Louis band. Same goes for Ryan Adams. I do believe if Jeff hadn't grown up where he did, his sound would of not only touched on certain topics but his influences would of been something that a band like Wilco could of never of touched on, let alone Jeff playing music at all. Wilco would of never got where they are today w/out the move to Chicago. Imagine if they suddenly moved to NY and hadn't played a show in Chi in two years, this thread would be 100 pages long by now. Chicago saved Wilco, but the music started here, it is home. And yes, Jeff is Cardinals fan.....sorry. :shifty

I am making an appearance in St Louis this weekend - maybe that will appease some of my hungry fans.

:ninja

I wish there was some good music around these parts we could catch, but all are good acts packed up and moved to Chicago. Have a good trip! :mellow

Fans all over the metro area will be much appeased by the appearance of a real-life Chicago-dwelling St. Louis metro-area native this weekend.

Well, I will be, at least. :dancing

Uncle Tupelo was a St. Louis band. They broke up. Jeff and John moved to Chicago when Wilco was formed, right? Wilco is a Chicago band and Uncle Tupelo was a St. Louis band. Jesus you guys bitch and moan about the dumbest things.

Guest David Puddy

it doesn't matter, at all, whether wilco is considered a chicago band or a st louis band. although it's hard to argue with the fact that the band members live in chicago. nonetheless, they should definitely be playing st louis every year, irregardless of jeff's ties to the city. st. louis is a big enough, worthy enough, city to hit on every tour.

that article makes me hope wilco skips stl permanently. but then again, the writer of the "open letter" is really the only jackass in the equation. stl is a good town and deserving of a regular stop on the tour. the article doesn't seem to advance the cause however. people move all the time. jeff doesn't owe anything to anybody just because he used to hang out there. and the whining sure doesn't help.

fort wayne indiaaaaaaannnnna!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:blush

oops, sorry.

No, Sarchi, you're not really sorry or you would have erased it. But your remark doesn't bother me, it just points out the fact that you don't see the difference in Ft. Wayne's approach vs this St. Louis guy's approach.

On the surface both cities want the same thing - for Wilco to perform in their city. IMO that's where the similarities end. And it makes us no different than Florida, NYC, and a lot of other areas who feel under-visited by Wilco.

But Fort Wayne is under-visited BY EVERYONE of this genre. We were trying to start a grass-roots movement to build a better live music scene with Wilco as its first choice - we were trying to promote our city and its citizens as actually having the interest and being capable of filling the seats of our beautiful venue, The Embassy Theatre, for shows more in tune with its citizens' taste than "Train" and "Godsmack" and "Anne Murray" for example, and by creating an on-line petition and a well-written web site explaining our goals and our personality.

We did not use guilt and a perceived sense of entitlement like this St. Louis guy does.

And in case anyone is interested, where the band plays has everything to do with ... the promoters. Now I may be wrong here, and forgive me if I'm oversimplifying or incorrect, but from what I understand directly from the people in Fort Wayne who were actively working with promoters to get Wilco to play Ft. Wayne in September 2007, when they were setting up a tour in our area, it has everything to do with SELLING OUT a venue. Anything short of selling out is considered a failure. That's a mark against your city, and the promoters don't forget when they lose money on your city. They said, "Why should we bring Wilco to Fort Wayne and risk not selling out The Embassy when we could go to Purdue and sell out, to IU and sell out, or to Indianapolis and sell out?" Those locations and their venues have a history with the promoters of selling out. We don't.

Promoters (and note this important distinction here) ... not really the band ... decide what venue to place the band when they are contacted by the band's touring agency to schedule a tour. The band and its management may have a theory - college campuses -or- California and the Pacific coast region for example - and the band's touring agency basically sells off or parcels the tour to concert promoters in certain regions, and the touring agency and regional promoters work together to assure success for their clients, and to maximize profits all around.

None of us here is naive enough to think that touring is not big business. We know it brings the band a large portion of its revenue. So it's all about the capability of a band to sell out a venue. If no venues fit the perceived ticket sales, promoters won't risk it. They lose money.

So St. Louis, look directly at your promoters and find out why they aren't bringing Wilco to St. Louis. You're only as desirable as your past successes (or lack thereof) proves.

It's not about emotion.

Oh, and for all Son Volt fans, Jay and band are playing the Chicago House of Blues Thu Jan 17 for what the newsletter calls "The 2nd Annual Len & Bob Bash" which will benefit Chicago Cubs Charities. I recall Ryan Adams performed for it last year.

that article makes me hope wilco skips stl permanently. :lol

jeff doesn't owe anything to anybody just because he used to hang out there.

It was a little more than hanging out. :hmm

Living in a city for the first 28 years of one's life really is just "hanging out", when you think about it. Especially when your family still resides in the area. Just another brief pit stop on the road of life.

Wilco's manager's also from St. Louis. He was just hanging out, too.

It was a little more than hanging out. :hmm

not sure if jeff ever owned a piece of actual real estate in stl, but i do realize belleville is a suburb 27 miles to the SE. in comparison, i live in the KC metro...but i don't live in KC...i hang out there.

i think we are splitting hairs here. st louisans are so possessive.

;)

not sure if jeff ever owned a piece of actual real estate in stl, but i do realize belleville is a suburb 27 miles to the SE. in comparison, i live in the KC metro...but i don't live in KC...i hang out there.

i think we are splitting hairs here. st louisans are so possessive.

;)

Actually, Belleville's a brief 15 minute drive from downtown St. Louis. My husband makes the commute daily.

I live about a mile and a half from the house where Jeff grew up, two miles from the apartment where he lived with Jay in the Uncle Tupelo days.

If you go one mile west of my house, you get a pretty clear view of the St. Louis skyline. I'm closer to St. Louis in Belleville than I was when I lived in St. Louis county.

Actually, Belleville's a brief 15 minute drive from downtown St. Louis. My husband makes the commute daily.

I live about a mile and a half from the house where Jeff grew up, two miles from the apartment where he lived with Jay in the Uncle Tupelo days.

If you go one mile west of my house, you get a pretty clear view of the St. Louis skyline. I'm closer to St. Louis in Belleville than I was when I lived in St. Louis county.

well then mapquest is full of sh*t. :pirate

i'm just ribbing my neighbors to the east. i wish wilco made more trips to my neck of the woods too...but, what are you gonna do? (shrug)