I guess it's all about your entry point to Son Volt. This album definitely sounds more like the first two Son Volt albums do. Okemah and The Search represent departures from the "Son Volt sound" to a certain extent, and feature a different line-up - commonly referred to as Son Volt 2.0.

I guess I kinda wanted Son Volt 2.0 to sound more like Son Volt 2.0! :)

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to do when it's now Son Volt 3.0 with the departure of Brad Rice and the additions of Chris Masterson and Mark Spencer. ;)

You have a good point! Oh well, I'm glad a lot of you like it. Maybe it'll hit me one day...

I'd put it just a small notch below those two. Either way, it is a great, great song.

Yeah, I hear you.

And as an aside, I am listening to The Search now and I like it much better than I remember. Maybe because I was on the L train to Williamsburg last night.

Yeah, I hear you.

And as an aside, I am listening to The Search now and I like it much better than I remember. Maybe because I was on the L train to Williamsburg last night.

I was on the L train on Monday and missed 1st Ave. because I was trying so hard not to stare at the most beautiful woman I ever saw

ended up in williamsburg and wasn't even trying

and, yeah, Methamphetamine / Highways & Cigarettes = Windfall/Tear-Stained Eye for me

although I do like the new one, I haven't found anything on it yet that hits me the same way

They played Methamphetamine into Afterglow 61 I think it was at the last show I attended. I remember thinking this is how music is supposed to be. Man that was some good stuff. Can't wait to see them again in September.

They played Methamphetamine into Afterglow 61 I think it was at the last show I attended. I remember thinking this is how music is supposed to be. Man that was some good stuff. Can't wait to see them again in September.

i'm torn about going to see son volt on this tour

the set lists are so frustrating

wish he would embrace his remarkable early material like tweedy does

just one tupelo track (looking for a way out? still be around) and one early son volt catalogue track (route? loose string?) would make me so happy, but i know it ain't happening

i love hearing new stuff ... but i also like hearing artists i love play their best songs

I wonder why Jay never appears on talk shows to promote the new stuff. Is it a conscious decision or can they not get the bookings? I find the latter hard to believe with some of the no-name bands Dave and Conan put on. I always though Jay and Son Volt should be more well known then they are.

I guess I don't get that wrapped up in set lists but I've seen them play several tunes off Trace and Straightaways over the past couple years. And I wouldn't really expect Farrar to play much Tupelo, given the history, other than the occasional Chickamauga (sp).

I guess I don't get that wrapped up in set lists but I've seen them play several tunes off Trace and Straightaways over the past couple years. And I wouldn't really expect Farrar to play much Tupelo, given the history, other than the occasional Chickamauga (sp).

According to http://sonvolt.wordpress.com/ they played Grindstone, which would have been nice to see. That March album reminds me of this latest one. Perhaps it just because Jay's acoustic playing, though. Though some of the songs, like Sultana might have fit on March.

But you are right, I wouldn't expect much Tupelo.

Guest Speed Racer

To be fair, Tweedy mostly plays UT songs at solo shows except in very rare cases (not including early Wilco shows, of course). I have one or two Jay solo boots where he plays a handful of UT songs acoustically. It's fair to expect only Wilco songs at Wilco shows, and only Son Volt songs at Son Volt shows.

According to http://sonvolt.wordpress.com/ they played Grindstone, which would have been nice to see. That March album reminds me of this latest one. Perhaps it just because Jay's acoustic playing, though. Though some of the songs, like Sultana might have fit on March.

But you are right, I wouldn't expect much Tupelo.

Grindstone definitely would be cool to hear. I'm the kind of concert goer who is happy if the band plays my fave song, so if Son Volt plays Windfall or even Route, I'm good. Same for Wilco and Misunderstood. It definitely feels special when either of them throw out a Tupelo tune, though. Thanks for the link to that blog..didn't know it existed!

I wonder why Jay never appears on talk shows to promote the new stuff. Is it a conscious decision or can they not get the bookings? I find the latter hard to believe with some of the no-name bands Dave and Conan put on. I always though Jay and Son Volt should be more well known then they are.

From what I can tell, he does not travel to far from his roots. I don't think he is interested in becoming well known (that is, at the top of the charts, People magazine, etc.) He still tours in a van, does he not? I think he did do a lot of press the last time around, or I recall reading a lot of interviews with him, anyhow.

I've never seen Son Volt, but I did see a solo Jay show once. I met him backstage (but that's another story).

I think he is more likely to play some UT songs than Wilco is, due to the fact that he already had it together back then, and his style has not changed that much over the years.

I was thinking about this yesterday - I still prefer Uncle Tupelo over both Wilco and Son Volt.

Of course, he has been on some late night shows before.

Edited by Analogman

I wonder why Jay never appears on talk shows to promote the new stuff.

Son Volt played Letterman for both Okemah ("Afterglow 61", sounded great) and The Search ("The Picture," marred by way too many horns).

I always got the sense that Jay had no interest in the double-edged sword that comes with doing things other than how he does them in this business. It's true that he does the interviews and the late night shows, but it always feels like he does the bare minimum, and it reeks of record company obligation. Obviously, I have no clue and I am talking out of my tail, but if I am right, good for him. We should all be so lucky to do what we want with our lives, on our terms.

I prefer both Wilco and Son Volt to Uncle Tupelo. I like Uncle Tupelo, but I think that both Jay's and Jeff's songwriting has gown leaps and bounds since the early days.

But then, I keep reading how much people hate You and I or Everlasting Everything, and I think those are two beautiful songs. I sing Everlasting Everything to my 10mo old every night before sleep. Yes, yes, spare me the Dad Rock comments.

No, that's cool. My brother sang Windfall to my niece when she was a baby. For me Tupelo is more about a feeling moreso than the song writing, which yeah is pretty basic. It's just fun, especially on road trips.

Also, after a few spins of the new one, I feel about the same as I do about the new Wilco: meh. No song, other than maybe Cocaine and Ashes, really grabs me. I'll keep listening, though.