• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i would say trace is the most solid album of the alt-country movement, wilco non-withstanding. i would say it beats out strangers almanac and the jayhawks records in terms of being a solid album. no other alt country band (besides tupelo with anodyne) put out such a great album. im gonna listen to it now.

i would say trace is the most solid album of the alt-country movement, wilco non-withstanding. i would say it beats out strangers almanac and the jayhawks records in terms of being a solid album. no other alt country band (besides tupelo with anodyne) put out such a great album. im gonna listen to it now.

the top four records in the genre are (in no particular order):

1.Hollywood Town Hall

2. Anodyne

3. Trace

4. A.M.

this is not simply my opinion, but verifiable empirical scientific fact. :shifty

i would replace am with being there. in addition, i would add tomorrow the green grass as well as faithless street.

I didn't include Being There because i consider it a departure from the genre. The same might perhaps be said of TTGG, but Blue Earth is clearly a better record anyway. anyway, here is the second tier:

Freakwater "Springtime"

Jayhawks "Blue Earth"

The best stuff that great faker Ryan Adams has but out under whatever moniker he has put it out (read "Stranger's Almanac," "Heartbreaker," and perhaps "Cold Roses")

Son Volt "Straightaways"

The rest of the UT catalogue.

Don't forget to write off Blue Mountain and The Old 97s, while you are at it.

very true, two very awesome bands from that scene.

I think I might like ACD better than W(ta). Does this make me a bad person?

yes.

To your 1st point - I know I do.

I'm glad to know I'm not alone in this! I've been thinking about why, and I like the rougher edges of ACD and how it captures some of the essence of Americana that for some reason I had anticipated being a more pronounced theme in W(ta). Also, W(ta) is sometimes a bit too polished, like the guys are almost TOO good at what they do.

just kidding of course. it needed some time to settle in for it to be a more real joke. dont take anything i say seriously ever.

I had just wanted to be sure because spouting blasphemy is always dangerous. ;-)

More tour dates announced:

NOVEMBER 5th, 2009 BLUE NOTE COLUMBIA, MO

NOVEMBER 6th, 2009 THE PAGEANT ST. LOUIS, MO

NOVEMBER 7th, 2009 THE LYRIC OXFORD, MS

NOVEMBER 8th, 2009 GRANT STREET DANCE HALL LAFAYETTE, LA

NOVEMBER 11th, 2009 CONTINENTAL CLUB HOUSTON, TX

NOVEMBER 12th, 2009 THE GRANADA DALLAS, TX

NOVEMBER 13th, 2009 FLOORE'S COUNTRY STORE HELOTES, TX

NOVEMBER 14th, 2009 ANTONE'S AUSTIN, TX

NOVEMBER 17th, 2009 MINGLEWOOD MEMPHIS, TN

NOVEMBER 18th, 2009 WORKPLAY BIRMINGHAM, AL

NOVEMBER 19th, 2009 40 WATT ATHENS, GA

NOVEMBER 20th, 2009 THE HANDLEBAR GREENVILLE, SC

NOVEMBER 21st, 2009 RHYTHM & BREWS CHATANOOGA, TN

I'm hoping to go to the Greenville show. In the meantime, looking forward to Charlotte next weekend!

• 2 weeks later...

On a complete whim, my brother and I are going to the Charlotte show. Anyone else going?

I'm gonna check 'em out again in November too in Greenville.

I'll be there tonight with some friends and also the Greenville show. I've seen them at the Visulite before (also saw Old 97's there) but I prefer the Neighborhood Theater.

well, i could just be out of it. folks at the jay farrar message board are saying last night was one of the best shows they've ever seen. so, who knows. hope you dudes have good time. i'll be curious to hear your review.

Rider, did you see the Dave Bryson's blog about the Atlanta show?

http://sonvolt.wordpress.com/

I will reserve judgment as I wasn't there. :mellow

yeah, i'm kinda famous aren't i. i just had to vent. funny thing is that EVERYONE else is saying its the best SV has sounded in years. oh well. i feel kind of bad. my review was so reactionary and had a lot to do with my expectations and no fault of the band. especially the drummer. he was great.

btw, i've been on the farrar board for years, but recently had to re-register and used rider as opposed to my other names.

After posting here last night I checked out the Farrar board and saw that you had been declared a troll. While a few of your critiques were a bit harsh and personal in manner, overall I don't think anyone should be blamed for sharing an honest opinion. It's rough that you had a low post count at the time (and that a band member found you out).

Ok, this may be a stupid question (and admittedly I haven't read through this thread and I don't keep up much on SV news) but when did SV get a new guitarist? I missed ole skinny jeans last night!

We had a great time at the show last night but I was surprised the venue wasn't more packed. I saw them there a couple years ago and could barely move. Also was surprised they didn't do Drown. First show I've been to where I didn't hear it. Good to see dancing girl again. She's been at every show I have and she never disappoints!