The Grateful Dead

Maybe. I think the original one was moved and then damged by the earthquake in 1989. Or something. I thought that the original one had been renovated in the 90s, though, and that it's the same one used today. I may be way off on this, but if memory disserves....

Wait, are you saying the Fillmore still holds concerts?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe. I think the original one was moved and then damged by the earthquake in 1989. Or something. I thought that the original one had been renovated in the 90s, though, and that it's the same one used today. I may be way off on this, but if memory disserves....

I was hoping to swing by after work....

If you don't trust your memory, check the wiki (where everything is true):

The Fillmore

The Fillmore (also known as Fillmore Auditorium, or Fillmore West) is a historic music venue in San Francisco, California made famous by Bill Graham. Named for its original location at the intersection of Fillmore Street and Geary Boulevard, it lies on the boundary of the Western Addition and the Pacific Heights neighborhoods. In 1968 the venue was moved to a location at Market Street and South Van Ness Avenue; the original Fillmore location became The Elite Club. The Market St. venue closed due to earthquake damage in 1989. In 1994 the original Geary Boulevard location re-opened as The Fillmore.

As of 2008, The Fillmore is leased and operated by Live Nation.

That's right - it actually a franchise now - they have a Fillmore in Denver, and other cities.

Yeah I've been to the Denver one a ton. It's a great sounding room. Phil's there for two nights in a few weeks.

I think the last concert I went to was that Ryan Adams show - I'm not much of a concert goer. I would like to see Rush though - as I have a feeling it will be a long time before they tour again.

I think the last concert I went to was that Ryan Adams show - I'm not much of a concert goer. I would like to see Rush though - as I have a feeling it will be a long time before they tour again.

Ryan played with Phil in the Denver Fillmore one night and up at Red Rocks the next (not to mention that impromptu gig at a bar next door during rehearsal I've mentioned a bazillion times around here).

Ryan played with Phil in the Denver Fillmore one night and up at Red Rocks the next (not to mention that impromptu gig at a bar next door during rehearsal I've mentioned a bazillion times around here).

That's right - I think there is a dvd of that floating around out there.

That's right - I think there is a dvd of that floating around out there.

I've got a copy (it's pretty shakey) that some dude shot that the owner of the bar gave me. I think I've watched it once.

Speaking as one of the converted I can only tell you that yes, you must check them out. :thumbup

But back on topic - "Whoa-oh, there's a fire.. I'm talkin' 'bout a fire on the mountain"

-Jerry, 4/24/78 - 30 years ago today

Our first stop is in Alfred, NY, on 5/1/70, the day before the famous Harpur College show. From the acoustic set, we have a quartet of great acoustic songs, Cumberland Blues, The Race Is On, Wake Up Little Susie, New Speedway Boogie. This New Speedway Boogie is the one included on the Fall Out From The Phil Zone album. We haven't played too much acoustic Dead here at the Tapers Section for the simple reason that there isn't too much acoustic Dead in the vault, so this is a nice treat to play some for you.

That 5/1/70 is a great show. It pales in comparison to the next night, but that's not really fair - 5/2 is an all-timer (to state the obvious).

That 5/1/70 is a great show. It pales in comparison to the next night, but that's not really fair - 5/2 is an all-timer (to state the obvious).

5/2/70 is where the new riders sit in no? I was trying to a find a copy of this show and never could. Its three sets right?

5/2/70 is where the new riders sit in no? I was trying to a find a copy of this show and never could. Its three sets right?

Nelson and Dawson do sit in for the last couple of tunes in the acoustic set, then NRPS does a set of their own (w/ JG), then 2 electric sets from the GD.

It's a Dick's Pick - #8.

I always liked that part where Phil is yelling at the crowd - and someone says, "Don't listen to him".

Isnt that when Bobby is telling the crowd to be mature and Jerry laughingly pipes in with "Dont listen to him"?

There used to be a lot of between-song chatter back then. Sadly by the time I got around to seeing the band that was all gone - all you'd hear was "we'll be back in a bit" and "good night".

There is a scary/hilarious "monitor mix" I heard years ago from the show where there had been a death threat against Jerry (Deer Creek, I think). It's been a while, but I remember things like Phil saying he keeps thinking he is seeing rifles in the crowd. Some of the banter (which is through the monitors and not audible to the crowd) is very funny.

Isnt that when Bobby is telling the crowd to be mature and Jerry laughingly pipes in with "Dont listen to him"?

It's all in there - I always thought that was Pigpen. I wonder - as the voice does not sound familiar.

"Watch it rocky were going to levitate garica"

"Oh that trick never works"

Bob wier doing rocky and bullwinkle impressions before an 80's era show.

and there was one i was li was listening to the other day were the band gets the crowd shouting for phil and he phil says something like "but i dont want to, not today". and then they launch into just like tom thumb.

I always thought it was Jerry.

The "don't listen to him?" Me too. For sure.

The thing starts with some crowd dude saying, in thick and deep burner tone, "Jerry, play 'St. Stephen'" and some chick with falsetto echoeing the "St. Stephen" and then laughter from the stage.....

The "don't listen to him?" Me too. For sure.

The thing starts with some crowd dude saying, in thick and deep burner tone, "Jerry, play 'St. Stephen'" and some chick with falsetto echoeing the "St. Stephen" and then laughter from the stage.....

I always thought the "chick" was Phil, kidding around about an apparently very common tune request.

One show back then features Phil saying "....white rabbit, g'dammit, white rabbit..." Every time I hear that one, I crack up.