The Grateful Dead

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This week we have some very, very classic Grateful Dead, as well as a unique jam from 1972.

First of all, from MIT in Cambridge, MA, on 5/6/70, we have this monster Good Lovin'. This was a free concert that took place at MIT's Kresge Plaza and was part of a student day of striking to protest the Kent State killings a few days before. This show was just after the Harpur College show on 5/2/70, and carries with it much the same energy as Harpur. There was a version of Dancing In The Street played at MIT that was every bit the equal of the terrific version played at Harpur.

Next up we have a very special jam from Europe '72. Amongst all of the small venue shows the band played on that tour, they broke away from the trend on 5/7/72 to play the Bickershaw Festival in Wigan. At every show on the Europe tour, the band played either a Dark Star or an Other One as the central jam vehicle in the second set, but never both songs at the same concert. Except at Bickershaw. This show saw the band playing its longest show of the tour, and the second set featured the ultimate Europe '72 jam, Dark Star>The Other One>Sing Me Back Home. There is a bit of a cut in The Other One before they venture into the second verse, but it's forgivable considering how great the rest of the jam is. We played the Dark Star here last year, but due to popular demand, we have the whole jam here this year. Sorry it took so long.

This being the week that includes May 8, we figured it'd be a good time to play Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain from 5/8/77 at Cornell. 'Nuff said.

Finally this week, we have a nifty little stand-alone Estimated Prophet from 5/11/77 in St. Paul, MN. The song developed with a longer and more exploratory jam at virtually every stop on this tour. Occasionally it would go into another song, but these stand-alone versions are pretty darn cool, so we figured you could use another.

Once in a while

you get shown the light

in the strangest of places

if you look at it right

The "don't listen to him?" Me too. For sure.

The thing starts with some crowd dude saying, in thick and deep burner tone, "Jerry, play 'St. Stephen'" and some chick with falsetto echoeing the "St. Stephen" and then laughter from the stage.....

It's Pigpen......I had a Prof in college who was at the show (swore he was stone cold sober) tell me so....it sounds like Pig as well so I'm convinced

It's Pigpen......I had a Prof in college who was at the show (swore he was stone cold sober) tell me so....it sounds like Pig as well so I'm convinced

It still sounds like Garcia to me (though I haven't heard it in a while) but Pig makes more sense now that I think about it- why would Garcia say "don't listen to him" to himself?

One of the great mysteries of mankind may have finally been unraveled!

5/6/81 Nassau Coliseum - Dick Latvala

"This is the big one! It contains one of the best and most thrilling jams of the last 15 years.

"The second set starts well enough, but after He's Gone (dedicated to Bobby Sands) we get something that I don't believe has ever occurred before: a pure jam that lasts about 15-20 minutes and contains the most unbelievable playing. It starts with the clearest example of Caution (without words, of course!) that we have heard since 10/19/74 at Winterland, lasting about 5 minutes. Then things "relax" before diving into another one of the most unique and desirable segments in Dead History: The Spanish Theme."

This show came out as DP #13.

Lammy you hitting either of the phil shows this week?

I've got something you all want, shoot me a pm (you know who you are).

Lammy you hitting either of the phil shows this week?

Both.

Banyan is playing at a buddy's bar afterwards with Molo sitting in, too.

I've got something you all want, shoot me a pm (you know who you are).

Oh yes.

Both.

Banyan is playing at a buddy's bar afterwards with Molo sitting in, too.

Is joan gonna be there or was that the kimock band shows?

Is joan gonna be there or was that the kimock band shows?

Hah! Joan was supposed to be filling in fior Ray White for the Kimock shows and my friend confirmed this and even printed it in the papers but then a dude named Arnie Green (from the mountains) filled in for her.

So, no. It'd be funny if he advertised it, though. It's kind of the running joke around these parts now.

From GDTSToo:

Bill Kreutzmann with Oteil Burbridge, Bass and Scott Murawski, Guitar

will play the following shows:

Wednesday, May 28 at Lupo

Hey, I know this is off topic, and as a former Phish phan, I used to hate it when people lumped the Dead and Phish together. But, I figured the people in this thread would be most interested in this rumor, and starting a whole new thread on phish was not necessary since most folks here hate them...

Anyway, I am completely out of the loop on all things Phish related since they broke up but I heard a rumor that they might be getting back together tonight (or, actually playing together tonight), at the Jammys? Apparently, the band is being honored tonight? I don't see it happening, but it will be interesting to see if they play a couple of songs, at least.

I know this is horrible etiquette to derail a Dead thread with, but I thought it was interesting and some in here might be interested...

(and I searched for old phish threads but they were all about trey in jail...)

Hey, I know this is off topic, and as a former Phish phan, I used to hate it when people lumped the Dead and Phish together. But, I figured the people in this thread would be most interested in this rumor, and starting a whole new thread on phish was not necessary since most folks here hate them...

Anyway, I am completely out of the loop on all things Phish related since they broke up but I heard a rumor that they might be getting back together tonight (or, actually playing together tonight), at the Jammys? Apparently, the band is being honored tonight? I don't see it happening, but it will be interesting to see if they play a couple of songs, at least.

I know this is horrible etiquette to derail a Dead thread with, but I thought it was interesting and some in here might be interested...

I read that also - and was thinking about a thread - but as you just said, it probably would just turned into a negative deal.

Innaresting. I haven't been over at the PT board for some time, maybe I should look and see. This would be very cool if this was to happen.

EDIT: Happy Birthday Billy! 62 today (5/7)

I listened to 10/10/82 Frost/Stanford last nite. Its an audience recording thats sounds beeee-yu-tiful. Warm and crispy, like the band is 30 feet away. Highly recommended if'n you like AUDs. Gotta give the 80s some love once in a while, eh? Props to my man Ed who sent it to me recently.....

10-10-82 Frost Amphitheatre, Stanford U., Palo Alto, Ca. (Sun)

1: Minglewood> Sugaree> Rooster, Tennessee Jed, Cassidy, Loser, Far From Me, L. L. Rain> China Cat> I Know You Rider

2: Playin> Crazy Fingers> Sailor> Saint> Touch> Drumz> Wheel> Throwing Stones> NFA> Black Peter> Sugar Magnolia E: Satisfaction> Baby Blue

Check out 10/9/82, too. Some great versions of Alabama, West LA, Throwin' Stones & Touch of Grey. One of my favorite shows.

Actually, my guy included that show in my recently received package as well. He raved about the recording of 10/10, so thats the one I started with. A great AUD recording is a wonderful thing.....in some ways more dynamic than a great soundboard.....being able to hear crowd reactions and interactions with the band during a show gives ya the "I'm there" feel to it.

I think mb mentioned the '82 Earthquake Space from Hartford. I remember the show was very solid regardless of the trippiness of the Space. During the Space it seemed as if the entire place was rumbling, too. Must've been the power of the bass, eh?

I think mb mentioned the '82 Earthquake Space from Hartford. I remember the show was very solid regardless of the trippiness of the Space. During the Space it seemed as if the entire place was rumbling, too. Must've been the power of the bass, eh?

Were you at that show?

Yeah. I grew up a half-hour south of Hartford.

Jealous!

I'm actually missing the boys a lot lately. Back in the day, we'd be all geared up and waiting for summer tour. Used to be my annual summer vacation for years.

I read that also - and was thinking about a thread - but as you just said, it probably would just turned into a negative deal.

Which is really a shame and in many ways highlights how close minded people can be. I was listening to Trey from Bonnaroo 2004 the other night when he did a full orchestral set (ill upload a mp4 if anyone is interested) and just kept thinking how sad it is that Phish and the Dead don't get taken seriously enough. The only reason being their fanbase.

Which is really a shame and in many ways highlights how close minded people can be. I was listening to Trey from Bonnaroo 2004 the other night when he did a full orchestral set (ill upload a mp4 if anyone is interested) and just kept thinking how sad it is that Phish and the Dead don't get taken seriously enough. The only reason being their fanbase.

Well, we can have this thread - so that is pretty cool.