The Grateful Dead

The only reason being their fanbase.

I am not sure I agree with that. Plenty of folks i know dont like the music, too. The fans dont help, though.

Ok, last non-dead question from me and then I am gone. I am guessing last night at the Jammys was a no-go? I can't bear to go to the PT board and wade through the inevitable 30 fake threads about how OMG PhISH Is Bakc togher!

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not sure I agree with that. Plenty of folks i know dont like the music, too. The fans dont help, though.

Ok, last non-dead question from me and then I am gone. I am guessing last night at the Jammys was a no-go? I can't bear to go to the PT board and wade through the inevitable 30 fake threads about how OMG PhISH Is Bakc togher!

Well sure lots of people don't like all kinds of music. But the dead and phish I believe get written off because of the fan base. There is plenty of music that people don't like but respect. The dead and phish catch a lot of shit

Well, we can have this thread - so that is pretty cool.

Exactly. In fact it's very cool. :thumbup

The same could be said for indie hipsters (particularly the girls I see with tattoos on their necks*), line dancers in big hats, jazz fans who look down their nose at rock fans, etc. It never ends, right? That's why I think it is cool to just dig what you dig, and leave out the rest. Or rather, I strive to do that.

*(a joke on the young lady who I saw with a skull and bones tattoo on her neck at the store the other day - I wanted to ask her if she was a pirate)

Well, we can have this thread - so that is pretty cool.

Amen Aman. I am not even a Dead fan (like I said, I'm a retired Phishhead), but I dig reading this thread because the passion you guys have for the Dead is cool. I used to be this way about Phish. Then I walked 15 miles into Coventry and I left my passion for Phish there. Had too much other stuff to carry with me on the 15 miles hike back to the car. ;)

Well sure lots of people don't like all kinds of music. But the dead and phish I believe get written off because of the fan base. There is plenty of music that people don't like but respect. The dead and phish catch a lot of shit

The same could be said for indie hipsters (particularly the girls I see with tattoos on their necks*), line dancers in big hats, jazz fans who look down their nose at rock fans, etc. It never ends, right? That's why I think it is cool to just dig what you dig, and leave out the rest. Or rather, I strive to do that.

Yep, no argument from me.

There is undoubtedly some truth to this. Being that neither band ever really had a lot of "hits", I'd say that most people are more familiar with the sometimes-cartoonish scenes (and stereotypes thereof) that surround the bands than they are with the music itself. If its true that you're either on the bus or off the bus, then most people are decidedly off the bus...and the bus' windows are dark and they can't see what's going on inside, but a lot of those people getting in sure look mighty strange!

There is undoubtedly some truth to this. Being that neither band ever really had a lot of "hits", I'd say that most people are more familiar with the sometimes-cartoonish scenes (and stereotypes thereof) that surround the bands than they are with the music itself. If its true that you're either on the bus or off the bus, then most people are decidedly off the bus...and the bus' windows are dark and they can't see what's going on inside, but a lot of those people getting in sure look mighty strange!

this is something i come up against all the time

people hear that i dig the dead and roll their eyes and give me the same tired stupid lines about how they hate jam bands

i've given up trying to explain to idiots that songs like box of rain, ripple, jack straw, black muddy river, friend of the devil, cumberland blues, brown-eyed women, etc., have as much to do with some vague idea of a "jam band" than the music of woodie guthrie does

and if people want to cut themselves off from some of the most powerful, evocative and beautiful american music ever made just because the band also had an inventive, exploratory side, it's their fucking loss

Mother's Day at Barton Hall, Cornell 31 years ago today.

I'm ashamed it took until 1 o'clock for someone to mention this monster.

I'm ashamed it took until 1 o'clock for someone to mention this monster.

Well, it was only 11:30 hear, so.... Plus, I assumed mb had already mentioned it.

I have never heard that show - except this part the other day:

This being the week that includes May 8, we figured it'd be a good time to play Scarlet Begonias>Fire on the Mountain from 5/8/77 at Cornell. 'Nuff said.
I have never heard that show - except this part the other day:

And your thoughts a-man? Your not into post 74 right?

And your thoughts a-man? Your not into post 74 right?

It is just different - I should check it out tonight. What's the other famous show? Where they were surrounded by boxcars - in NJ?

I am surprised that MG has not written a book yet -

"That's right, the women are smarter!"

As the May 11th edition of "Tales From The Golden Road" on Sirius Satellite Radio's Grateful Dead Channel coincides with the observance of Mother's Day, we can't think of a better way to celebrate than with a salute to women in the Grateful Dead world.

We'll be talking to women who have played a central part in the extended Grateful Dead family over the years, including Carolyn (Mountain Girl) Garcia and Donna Jean Godchaux, who had the unique distinction of serving as the only female member of the band.

If you have stories of your life as a woman in the Dead Head world; if you're a mother of Dead Head kids or a kid with a Dead Head mom; or even just a Dead Head whose mom showed extreme patience in putting up with your nomadic pursuit of the band - you're invited to join the discussion by calling 1-888-89-SIRIUS

"Tales From The Golden Road" airs every Sunday from 4 to 6 pm ET on the Grateful Dead Channel, Sirius 32. The program is rebroadcast Mnday at 9am ET and Tuesday at 5pm ET.

It is just different - I should check it out tonight. What's the other famous show? Where they were surrounded by boxcars - in NJ?

I think you're referring to Watkins Glen. I believe its more famous for the size of the gig than the GDs performance that day.

Concerning other favorite shows, you really cant go wrong with 1977 for sheer perfection and grooviness.

I think you are talking about 9/3/77 Englishtown NJ. Only show of the summer that year. Possibly my favorite Half-Step, and long monster NFA, among other gems.

I know this borders on heresy but.....in my opinion (mine only mind you) I say this is the single most overrated Dead show out there. I think it's a great show, an absolute killah, but to me this gets way more than it's due. Part of it, I think, is that it's very easy to get and great sounding so a lot of people have heard it. I say the days before, most notably 5-7 and the day after 5-9 are better......don't shoot me, just sayin'

No one can argue that May of 1977 was just absolutely insane with great shows though. May 9 (Buffalo) what a fantastic Help>Slip>Franklin, May 19 (Atlanta) possibly the best all time ever Sugaree, May 21 (Lakeland, FL) a stellar Comes A Time with what might be the most beautiful, emotive jam at the end (and then a great segue into St. Stephen) they ever played. The rest of May is awesome as well. Great thing is they are all easy to get either on Dick's or the other usual avenues.

And I'm a guy that isn't much impressed with post 74 Dead! (I like all Dead just 66-74 better than the rest)

I concur with Ian here. I like 5/9 better than 5/8. And the transition back into the Playin' Reprise on 5/19 is 5 minutes of some of my favorite post-'74 Dead ever. :worship

Those Sugarees from that month are as sick as that song ever got too.

It's gotten to the point where 5/8 has been legendary for so long that it seems like it needs to be put in it's place. It's place is as an overall very solid show. One of the first Betty boards that was highly circulated will do that.

Of course there are better sets with better versions done. The beauty of the 5/8 lies in the fact that it was one of the best sounding tapes we all got with some incredible playing that night to match. That's all.

Grateful Dead Live at War Memorial on 1977-05-09

Set 1

Help On The Way ->

Slipknot! ->

Franklin's Tower

Cassidy

Brown Eyed Women

Mexicali Blues

Tennessee Jed

Big River

Peggy-O

Sunrise

The Music Never Stopped

Set 2

Bertha ->

Good Lovin'

Ship Of Fools

Estimated Prophet ->

The Other One ->

Drums ->

Not Fade Away ->

Comes A Time ->

Sugar Magnolia

Encore

Uncle John's Band

Eyes->The Eleven->Caution->Other One->Loser last night. Pretty good show. Relatively light crowd. Smokin' "Fire" and solid playing throughout. Some dude from Particle joined in for a good chunk (I think he sang on "Doin' that Rag"). Bumped into Molo at the after-gig show, too.

Eyes->The Eleven->Caution->Other One->Loser last night. Pretty good show. Relatively light crowd. Smokin' "Fire" and solid playing throughout. Some dude from Particle joined in for a good chunk (I think he sang on "Doin' that Rag"). Bumped into Molo at the after-gig show, too.

I hope you made it last night looks like the real winner of the two.