The Grateful Dead

Good stuff.

Come on thats all your gonna give me. New potato caboose? how was it?!!?!?!?! ALLIGATOR!?!?!?! HIGH TIME?!?!?!?!? DIRE FUCKING WOLF!?!?!

you got a good one, i was salivating this morning looking at the list, can't wait to get a copy.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have dicks picks 8? i have a question about one of the tracks, could you shoot me a PM?

I know you don't mean to post the link here - because, we will catch hell for that sort of thing.

ummmm..cough....cough...... I mean........weellll....... the way i look at it.......

how bout someone shoots me a pm if they have dicks picks 8 i have a question about the last track.

Good stuff.

:monkey

EDIT: I forgot to tell you that I hate you.

5/11/78 Civic Center Arena Springfield, MA

I: Cold Rain, BIODTL, FOTD, L.L. Rain, Loser, Mexicali > Mama Tried, T. Jed, Minglewood, Peggy-O, Lazy Lightning > Supplication

II: Scarlet > Fire, Dancin' > Drums > NFA > Stella Blue, Around

E: Werewolves, J.B. Goode

30 years ago today. Crazy second set - the rumor is that the band ingested some good mescaline at this show. Listening to the wild vocals in Dancin', and especially Werewolves it sounds like more than just a rumor to me.

Available as Dick's Picks #25

5/11/78 Civic Center Arena Springfield, MA

I: Cold Rain, BIODTL, FOTD, L.L. Rain, Loser, Mexicali > Mama Tried, T. Jed, Minglewood, Peggy-O, Lazy Lightning > Supplication

II: Scarlet > Fire, Dancin' > Drums > NFA > Stella Blue, Around

E: Werewolves, J.B. Goode

30 years ago today. Crazy second set - the rumor is that the band ingested some good mescaline at this show. Listening to the wild vocals in Dancin', and especially Werewolves it sounds like more than just a rumor to me.

Available as Dick's Picks #25

Hell Yeah!!!!!!! AHHHH WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Werewolves of London....AH WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

We discussed earlier in either the previous dead thread or on this one...My very first Dead Show, at the tender age of 11. I was very psyched when they made this DP 25....damn I miss the picks....used to look forward to the 3 or 4 per year, now we are at the mercy of the powers that be at Rhino.........I bet 'ol Latvalla is just spinning in his grave.

BTW Scott, how's everything goin? I've been away a lot lately from the board these past few months.

This week we have some nice music from 1970, 1972, 1977, 1978 and 1981, so without further ado, on to the music.

Our first stop this week will be in Kirkwood, MO, on 5/14/70. This show took place the night before a great show at the Fillmore East in New York City, and less than two weeks after the famous Harpur College show, and although perhaps a little under the radar compared to those two shows, the 5/14/70 show certainly does offer some excellent music. From the start of the electric set, we have the quintet of songs Casey Jones, China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider, Mama Tried>High Time. The Rider is interesting as this was a time when it was played both in electric sets as part of China>Rider, as well as a stand-alone number in the acoustic sets in a different arrangement.

Our next stop this week is in Lille, France, to a free outdoor concert that was the makeup date for the cancelled concert a week earlier, at which, as the story goes, the band narrowly escaped with their lives after having to cancel the gig at the last moment due to the equipment truck's failure to arrive on time for the show. But, the Grateful Dead being the righteous bunch they are, returned to Lille to play a free concert in the public square in the center of town. There are some great photos of this concert in the booklet for Steppin' Out with the Grateful Dead. So, from 5/13/72 in Lille, we are happy to play the opening trio of songs, Bertha, Black-Throated Wind, Chinatown Shuffle, Loser.

Fantastic! That sounds like the folks in SF must have had a real good time.

that they are, last night featured Aoxomoxa and Live Dead, thats right, two St.Stephens in one show. Mark Karan sat in for the second set and the encore. Theresa Williams sand Rosemary and at the end of China Cat they teased Rider, I would have though they would have done it as an encore but that wound up being King Bee.

All I have to say is damn do I wish I was going to be there tomorrow for Set1: Working Man's Dead, set two: American Beauty. I wonder if the next night will be Wake>Mars and then closing it out with Blues>Mars. I won't be surprised if they don't do Europe 72' or Grateful Dead since I don't think this lineup does alot of those tunes, although they did do Me & My Unlce last week and they did a Feels Like A Stranger, hmmmmmmmmmm.

If I was a gambling man I'd say there is going to be a dead show on sunday or at least a repeat of the deadheads for obama lineup.

Man do I wish I was in SF right now.

Well last night was really something...the speculation was running high...just studio albums or would live dead be included...I like to believe that phil was inspired by the residency shows and Springsteen, he was so joyful last night and the band KICKED ASS!!!! You're so right Johnny two st. stephens in one night...holy cow. I was astounded by AOXOMOXA. Never thought I would see that ever ya know? The Dark Star clocked in at 40 plus minutes and both Lovelight and Death Don't have no Mercy were the best I have seen. AWBYGN what can I say. I wished all of you via chicago/deadheads could have been on the floor with me. :dancing :cheekkiss . Lots of out of towners and plenty of smiling faces. Now to find a ticket for friday....I guess I could do 3 shows in a row after all. :blush molly jayne

40 minutes of Dark Star? Holy shit! Did they do "What's Become of the Baby"?

40 minutes of Dark Star? Holy shit! Did they do "What's Become of the Baby"?

yes they did.

I can't believe it a 40 min. dark star, when was the last time that happened?

Were the stephens played the same?

I hear rumors that that was the last of the full albums and that phil has some other tricks up his sleeve, i guess time will tell.

I am shooting myself in the foot right now for not saving money this year for summer tour. I've got two shows, hope i get some of the goodies they've been busting out.

Barbed Wire Whipping Party>What's Become Of The Baby?>Eep Hour>Seastones

:lol That would keep the boogie freaks in line!

Any recommendations for a dicks picks? What are your favorites and why? I only have 8 and am looking to grab some more.

Is the so many roads box set worth picking up? for some reason I remember people have complaints with it.

Any recommendations for a dicks picks? What are your favorites and why? I only have 8 and am looking to grab some more.

Is the so many roads box set worth picking up? for some reason I remember people have complaints with it.

12, 14, 19*, 28, 31... Can you tell what my favorite era is for the GD?

* my personal fave!

So Many Roads is great, IMO. It is a terrific compilation of great versions of great tunes from throughout the years. I think the complaints stem from the fact that no compilation will ever satisfy everyone (e.g. I can't believe they picked THAT version over MY favorite!). Also, Deadheads notoriously don't like compilations in general, preferring full shows (tuning breaks and all). If you don't have a problem with compilation I say SMRs is worth it.

Here is a good list with information about them all. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page)

wow, I can't believe how much information they've got on there. I guess I know what i'll be reading when i get out of class. :)

ETA: I guess i got lucky by clicking of 4 and seeing a wealth of information, most of the others just have track lists.

wow, I can't believe how much information they've got on there. I guess I know what i'll be reading when i get out of class. :)

ETA: I guess i got lucky by clicking of 4 and seeing a wealth of information, most of the others just have track lists.

List at Dead.net - with comments.

Dead Disc - some more information.

12, 14, 19*, 28, 31... Can you tell what my favorite era is for the GD?

* my personal fave!

So Many Roads is great, IMO. It is a terrific compilation of great versions of great tunes from throughout the years. I think the complaints stem from the fact that no compilation will ever satisfy everyone (e.g. I can't believe they picked THAT version over MY favorite!). Also, Deadheads notoriously don't like compilations in general, preferring full shows (tuning breaks and all). If you don't have a problem with compilation I say SMRs is worth it.

Don't forget #7! The Playin' on there is THE SHIT. Might be my favorite version ever.