The Grateful Dead

:thumbup That Playin' sammich is the shit. When they roll back into UJB from Dew it's one of the best things ever!

Hell yeah! Thats the "X" factor I always try to get people to understand. Stuff like that they used to do on a regular basis. Jerry doin' the Tiger, Mind Left Body jams from Darkstar, the way some songs get seriously intense and almost scarry then a long slow slide into something like Stella Blue....I could go on and on

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob Star is on iclips.net right now live from Mountain Jam

Set One: Jam>Help on The Way>Slipknot>Easy Answers, She Belongs To Me*, Money For Gasoline, Loser#, Loose Lucy, Two Dijinn

*with Levon Helm, #Warren Haynes,

Bobby started help on the way singing: "help on the way" and then laughing having completely forgotten the words. The band jammed and mark karan told him the lyrics.

When I saw Ratdog at the riv a year or two ago they had an applause sign above the band and everytime bob would fuck up it would go off.

Warren sat in in with levon, i imagine he'll sit in with bob.

Link

We're going to start our week out with some nice, early Grateful Dead music, as it's always a good way to wake up on a Monday.

From the Fillmore West in San Francisco on 6/8/69, we have this excellent set-closing combination of That's It For The Other One>Cosmic Charlie. A truly classic 1969 moment. This was another four night Fillmre West run, and although not quite the 2/27-3/2/69 run (what is, though, right?), it did have some great music played throughout.

From the same venue a year later, another four night June run, we have some very tasty music from 6/4/70's acoustic set. We have the show opening Deep Elem Blues, followed by a quartet of songs from the set, featuring Silver Threads and Golden Needles, Friend of the Devil, Black Peter, Cumberland. We don't play as much acoustic Dead here as we'd like, owing primarily to the fact that there isn't all that much acoustic Dead in the vault. Fortunately, what IS there is excellent.

From two nights later during the same run at the Fillmore West, on 6/6/70, we have a very cool sequence of tunes. As you may recall, last year we played you the Good Lovin'/New Orleans jam from earlier in this set, and this year we're pleased to bring you Dire Wolf>Alligator>Drums>Jam>Lovelight>Not Fade Away>Lovelight. Lots of oddness happening here, including a cool pairing of Dire Wolf>Alligator, and a terrific jam after the Drums. The cuts in Drums and Lovelight are where the master reels run out.

Our last stop this week as we begin our Summer Dead listening, we have the show-opening Bertha>Good Lovin' from 6/4/78 at UCSB Stadium in beautiful Santa Barbara, California. There seems to be a couple of minor drop outs in Good Lovin'. This show also featured a very cool Sugar Magnolia second encore that we played here last year, and you can check out all previous Tapers Section here in the archive.

Listened to 3-25-72 today, a great set with Mr. Bo Diddley.........RIP Bo

Thanks for the reminder Ian! :cheers I'm gonna pull that one right now.

Another man who is deserving of the GD Honor Roll - Alton Kelley passed away over the weekend. Thanks for bringing this to my attention Lammy.

A framed poster of Skullfuck has graced a wall in the 'stereo room' since the day I moved in here. 14 years this month.

http://rockindownthehighway.blogspot.com

I bought the No.3, Looking forward to it, 71 has always been one of favorite years, though never gotten around to get DP35.

The previous Road Trips, I both liked. The Winterland shows were of course great. I kinda like this Rhino deal.

I saw the Dead from 89-95. So I never got a chance to see them in the early days or middle days for that matter, that Skull and Roses Cd really got me hooked when I heard it around 1990, (I was 16-17 yrs. old here). They rocked straight in such a stripped rock band form, that Johnny rocked as well as the Berha, etc... The quintet rocked, swung, and could play the country juke jangle. And it all sounded good. That album definitely encouraged me to delve more into their catalog...plus I had good friends who were older than me, already into them, so that helped. Anyway 1971 Dead, I think is my favorite year and I'm looking forward to hearing the No. 3.

I would love to get into the Dead but apart from Workingman's Dead and American Beauty and one live show, that I have,there really is just too much stuff to sift through. If you start and get a shitty album then that would kill any enthusiasm I had. Still one of the best band names ever though.

I would love to get into the Dead but apart from Workingman's Dead and American Beauty and one live show, that I have,there really is just too much stuff to sift through. If you start and get a shitty album then that would kill any enthusiasm I had. Still one of the best band names ever though.

'72 seems to be a good starting point for a lot of people (and then quickly move forward and backwards a few years to get into that whole era). Europe '72 is good, but Hundred Year Hall is even better. Those are 2-discs and not too overwhelming for a beginner. Rockin' the Rhine is also excellent and the 4-disc Steppin' Out set is one of my favorite things in my whole record collection. Not to mention the various Dick's Picks from the era. Hell, its all good.

Its true that if you just download a random show from etree or something, it can be hit or miss, so if you want guaranteed-killer stuff, any of the official live releases from that era are pretty spectacular.

'72 seems to be a good starting point for a lot of people (and then quickly move forward and backwards a few years to get into that whole era). Europe '72 is good, but Hundred Year Hall is even better. Those are 2-discs and not too overwhelming for a beginner. Rockin' the Rhine is also excellent and the 4-disc Steppin' Out set is one of my favorite things in my whole record collection. Not to mention the various Dick's Picks from the era. Hell, its all good.

Its true that if you just download a random show from etree or something, it can be hit or miss, so if you want guaranteed-killer stuff, any of the official live releases from that era are pretty spectacular.

Ah that was probably my problem. I do really like the two official albums I have and the only live show I have I got from Archive.org so it was probably a hit or miss as you say. Thanks for the tips though.

Ladies and Gentlemen ... The Grateful Dead is a 4 CD live box set by the Grateful Dead of recordings of the April, 1971 shows at the Fillmore East in New York.

Link

First stop will be 6/10/73 at RFK Stadium in Washington, DC. This show saw the band sharing the bill with the Allman Brothers Band, and the Grateful Dead certainly delivered the goods by playing one of their finest shows of a great performing year. From the end of the first set, we have a typically hot Playing In The Band. Phil has a particularly great tone on this one, and Weir and Keith are crystal clear in the mix, with the drums mixed perfectly. Oh, and Jerry. Yes, his guitar playing here is exquisite.

While we're checking out 6/10/73, we might as well play you something from the second set. So, here's an excellent Here Comes Sunshine. What a great addition to the repertoire this tune was. Once again, Weir stands out, not only in the mix, but in his playing as well.

Next we'll jump ahead three years to 6/12/76, the final show of a four night run at the Boston Music Hall. The band had returned to active touring a week before with the 6/3&4/76 shows at the Paramount in Portland, OR, with the real touring starting in Boston on 6/9. From this final show in Boston, we have this excellent Dancing In The Street>Around and Around. I can only imagine what New England Dead Heads must have thought when they heard this arranegment of Dancing In The Street, after such spectacular regional shows such as the April, 1969 shows at the Arc, 5/6/70 at MIT, 4/7&8/71 at the Music Hall, 9/15&16/72 at the music Hall, 4/2/73 at the Garden and the Fall 1973 three night run back at the Music Hall.

This Boston run had loads of great music, but one of my favourite jams of the entire run is the second set opening sequence of St. Stephen>Eyes of the World>Let It Grow. Unfortunately, the start of St. Stephen is missing from the master reels (reminiscent of Harpur College, eh?), but it's such an insignificant omission when compared to the quality, and quantity, of the music that was to come. There is a rough edge around some of the playing, but the jam into Eyes of the World was a real throwback to 1974 improvisational jam. And Eyes>Let It Grow, a nice pre-hiatus sequence.

Lastly this week we'll stop into Cornell University in Ithaca, NY, on 5/16/81. A few weeks ago we played you the opening of the first set, and this week we have the end of the first set, specifically Passenger, High Time, Let It Grow, Don't Ease Me In.

I've said before in previous years here when the date comes around but 6/10/73 is one of my all time favorites - maybe even my very favorite. Morning Dew to open! Playin' to close the first set! A lengthy second set, with one of the best Eyes I've ever heard. Plus a killer Dark Star, with lots of space and bass from the Professor. And then of course the 3rd set with the Brothers. A must have show imo.

I've said before in previous years here when the date comes around but 6/10/73 is one of my all time favorites - maybe even my very favorite. Morning Dew to open! Playin' to close the first set! A lengthy second set, with one of the best Eyes I've ever heard. Plus a killer Dark Star, with lots of space and bass from the Professor. And then of course the 3rd set with the Brothers. A must have show imo.

Absolutely correct! Can only imagine what that would have been like to be there........or back in 72, or 69, or..........

Absolutely correct! Can only imagine what that would have been like to be there........or back in 72, or 69, or..........

I've traded with a guy who was at the GD's first show in NYC (Tompkins Square Park, 6/1/67). His last GD show was in the 90s. Wrap your arms around that thought for a moment!

So I'm kind of bummed today over the fact that Phil is in town tonight with Levon Helm opening and it looks like I'm just not going to be able to make it. :(

I might actually be more bummed about missing Levon--chances to see him are relatively few and far between and he's definitely on my "need to see him before he's gone" list. I'll have to put some thought into this today to see if I can figure out a way to get to this.

Update: I'm not quite as bummed about missing Phil & Levon last night. Read the descriptions here. Thunderstorms ended Levon's set after 3 songs and delayed Phil for over 2 hours and then there were sound problems. :hmm

My wife just emailed me from work and said that downtown Columbus is a mess of debris and standing water this morning. Funny, because I live no more than 20 min north of there and we got nothing. Gotta love summertime in the midwest.

I've traded with a guy who was at the GD's first show in NYC (Tompkins Square Park, 6/1/67). His last GD show was in the 90s. Wrap your arms around that thought for a moment!

Thats sweet. Like I said I really wish I couldda seen 'em back in late 60's early 70's. I was lucky enough to see my first show in 78 and my last in 95, though for a while in the early 90's I stopped goin to Dead shows and just went to JGB shows.

6/14/91 - RFK Stadium

II: Help > Slip > Frank, Estimated > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Stella Blue > Lovelight E: Baby Blue

Best set of the Vinnie & Bruce Era? I don't know, but it's definitely a powerful one. I think this was the first time I'd heard vince's "sax" solo during Estimated - very cool the first time you hear it, but it's kind of a shame he decided to do it EVERY time at that point in the song from then on. Oh well, go dig this one out - it'll be worth it. :thumbup

6/14/91 - RFK Stadium

II: Help > Slip > Frank, Estimated > Dark Star > Drums > Space > Stella Blue > Lovelight E: Baby Blue

Best set of the Vinnie & Bruce Era? I don't know, but it's definitely a powerful one. I think this was the first time I'd heard vince's "sax" solo during Estimated - very cool the first time you hear it, but it's kind of a shame he decided to do it EVERY time at that point in the song from then on. Oh well, go dig this one out - it'll be worth it. :thumbup

This is a very good show and one I go back to often. I do enjoy Vince's sax licks on the keys but always perferred garcia's deeper tone with the midi effects for sax in Dark Stars, Eyes', etc.