The Grateful Dead

I did this run, too. Hot as hell itself but such a great time/vibe all-around. I travelled from NH with little more than a pair of shorts and an extra t-shirt. Yikes. I was absolutely filthy by the time we ran through Buckeye headed back east.

I remember thinking that "Foolish" was "Tangled Up in Blue" before the singing came in.

There was a tepid "Black Bird" in there, too. Third night encore maybe.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6/19/88 - Sunday

One Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodleloo ; Feel Like A Stranger ; Never Trust A Woman ; Ramble On Rose ; Little Red Rooster ; Bird Song ; The Promised Land

Two Foolish Heart ; Playing In The Band > Uncle John's Band > Drums > Space > Goin' Down The Road Feeling Bad > I Need A Miracle > Dear Mr. Fantasy > Throwing Stones > Not Fade Away

Encore: Knockin' On Heaven's Door

6/20/88 - Monday

One Jack Straw; Box Of Rain; West L.A. Fadeaway; Stuck Inside of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again; Loser; Cassidy> Don't Ease Me In

Two Victim Or The Crime> Cumberland Blues; Blow Away> Ship of Fools; Truckin'> Terrapin Station> Drums> Space> The Other One> Wharf Rat> Around and Around> Good Lovin'

Encore: U.S. Blues

6/22/88 - Wednesday

One Let The Good Times Roll ; Hell In A Bucket ; Candyman ; Walkin' Blues ; When Push Comes To Shove ; Queen Jane Approximately ; Tennessee Jed ; Let It Grow

Two Foolish Heart ; Looks Like Rain ; Scarlet Begonias > I Will Take You Home > Drums > Space > The Wheel > Stella Blue > Turn On Your Lovelight

Encore: The Mighty Quinn

6/23/88 - Thursday

One Iko Iko [6:06] ; New Minglewood Blues [7:43] ; It Must Have Been The Roses [6:51] ; Me And My Uncle [3:05] > Mexicali Blues 4:24] ; Stagger Lee [5:20] ; When I Paint My Masterpiece [5:07] ; Bird Song [10:44] ; The Promised Land [4:44]

Two Hey Pocky Away [6:05] ; Believe It Or Not 7:35] ; Man Smart, Woman Smarter [7:09] ; He's Gone [11:41] > Drums [12:28] > Space [8:50] > I Need A Miracle [3:48] > Gimme Some Lovin' [5:09] > All Along The Watchtower [4:43] > Morning Dew [10:10]

Encore: Blackbird [2:28} > Brokedown Palace [5:49]

That "Believe It Or Not" was a first timer too, I think. Only played a half-dozen or so times. Sort of a combination of the JGB's "Gomorrah" and the GD's "Roses". Very nice tune - at the end when Jerry kept singing over and over "let me show how much I love you" the place went nuts. I think he talks about the reaction to that song in one of the books I have here, and how astonished he was by our reaction, so I always have found it perplexing why it never stayed in the rotation. :ohwell

We got a lot of Bird Songs during that period. They were really playing that song well post-coma, and it was the closest thing we got to Dark Star-styled exploration.

I attended that Alpine run as well. We got there early, parked the car and didnt move it for 5 days. Listened to Dylan from atop one of the skiing hills behind the pavillion. Way too many stories to tell about those days. Returned home in a rather dusty and burned state. Took days to recover.

Link

This week we're going to jump around a bit, but the end result a whole bunch of really good Grateful Dead music from this week in the band's recorded history.

Our first stop is the Fillmore West on 4/12/70. This was the final night of a four night run of shows that, as we mentioned last year at this time, mostly doesn't exist in the vault. These shows are famous for the fact the Miles Davis Quintet was the opening act. Say what?!? Indeed. Also, from this 4/12/70 show, Phil selected the Dancing In The Street for inclusion on his Fall Out From The Phil Zone compilation. Also from this night, we're pleased to play a few songs from the then-soon-to-be-released Workingman's Dead, a nice combination of Cumberland Blues-Dire Wolf, and from a bit later in the show, Black Peter-Uncle John's Band. It's too bad this entire run doesn't exist; that would be make a stellar 10-CD boxed set release!

While we're at the 4/12/70 show this week, we figure we might as well play the show-closing sequence of songs, just because it's so good: It's A Man's World, Viola Lee Blues>Feedback. Certainly an appropriate way to end a four night run of shows at the Fillmore West in 1970.

Next we'll stop into 1973 to a show a little out of our date range, 6/24/73 at the Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Oregon. We played a little bit of this show a couple of weeks ago, and we thought you might like to have another taste, so here is a great little China Cat Sunflower>I Know You Rider from late in the first set.

Jumping ahead ten years, we'll check out some music from one of only two shows the Grateful Dead ever performed in the state of West Virginia, on 4/10/83 in Morgantown. The other West Virginia show was 4/16/78 in Huntington, which unfortunately does not exist in the vault. However, from the show in 1983, there are very clean Beta PCM digital tapes (heard here) and cassette masters. From the second set of 4/10/83, we have Uncle John's Band>Playing In The Band.

Finally this week, from the magnificent live album from the Jerry Garcia Band, Don't Let Go, recorded at the Orpheum Theatre in San Francisco on 5/21/76, we have the set closing song, Lonesome and Long Way From Home. Although not quite as way out there as the song would become by early 1978, this is a mighty fine version.

Be sure to check back in next week for more great music. Please feel free to write with questions, comments, requests or suggestions, to the email address below. Please put

That's weird that 4/16/78 isn't in the vault - I've had sbd cassettes of that show for many years. Maybe it's one of those Betty Boards where the master is lost, but was copied enough to put it in general circulation. Hmmm.

That's weird that 4/16/78 isn't in the vault - I've had sbd cassettes of that show for many years. Maybe it's one of those Betty Boards where the master is lost, but was copied enough to put it in general circulation. Hmmm.

I started to say - I have the SBD of those shows - but then changed my mind after reading that. But - as you just said, that is what they are. Of course, you can look it up - as you have the magic book.

Someone sent me the Huntington show on cassette years ago - the Morgantown show I got from archive.org before they stopped the downloading of SBD shows.

I started to say - I have the SBD of those shows - but then changed my mind after reading that. But - as you just said, that is what they are. Of course, you can look it up - as you have the magic book.

I've read those things so many times they should be committed to memory, permanently. But I do like the beer, so... :stunned

I don't think I've ever heard the Morgantown show.

I think I may have said this before - but I looked at the newspaper accounts that were published right after that show, and the following two themes seemed to emerge from what I read:

1. People thought that there was going to be some sort of "60s like riot".

2. Most people interviewed on the street seemed to hate them, because, they were not playing Disco music.

That's a terrible version of Cumberland Blues - I can't believe they put that up for people to hear.

6/24/85 - River Bend Music Center, Cincinnati OH

I: Alabama > Greatest, TLEO, Minglewood, Tennessee Jed, Brother Esau, Loser, Let It Grow

II: Iko Iko > Samson > He's Gone > Smokestack > Cryptical > Drums > Space > Comes a Time > Other One > Cryptical > Wharf Rat > Around > Good Lovin'

E: U.S. Blues

June of '85...what a wonderful run of shows. From the Greeks all the way to Merriweather Post these are solid. I saw this show, and the following night at Blossom (decided to skip Saratoga and come home...sigh...). Some of the praise has to do with the quantity of SBDs easily available but this was, in fact, a good time for the music, even if things on a personal level were sketchy at best.

The return of Cryptical was a big event, and there was a number of Comes A Times that were part of what made '85 such a great year.

The thing about this particular show that is permanently burned into my memory was that during Smokestack a big paddleboat/cruiser was rolling down the river directly behind the stage. Ahh, serendipity!

The sound quality of the show, as well as the solid playing, stand out. This was a favorite tape for many years. If I recall, the TLEO has a weird helicopter-like sound right before a Garcia verse, the CAT is fantastic, and of course the Cryptical (all mentioned by mb). The sbd recording I had seemed to really catch the acoustics of the Rubber Bowl, particularly the slight reverb/echo effect.

Grateful Dead Live at Dupont Gymnasium M.I.T. on 1970-05-07

I love the acoustic stuff - although, Candyman sounds odd without the haunting pedal steel in the background.

Darkness Jam (I had never heard this before either)

I have never actually heard any of the New Riders albums - the above song has a pretty cool groove. A woman I work with recently saw them play a show at a place up in the mountains.

Jerry Lives!

At the end of the movie Electric Apricot, they show a parody of the Patterson/Gimlin Bigfoot film but with Jerry instead of bigfoot. Pretty funny stuff.

Bob Weir interviewed in Motor Trend Magazine

Link

This week we'll be hitting some excellent summer Dead spanning the Grateful Dead's recorded history over the course of 19 years, 1970-1989.

Our first piece of music is something we played a little while back here, but due to popular demand, and because it's so darn good, we thought we'd play it again this week. From the Grateful Dead's famous trip across Canada, the Festival Express, as it was known, we have the show-closer from Winnipeg on 7/1/70, Lovelight. Pigpen is in fine form on this rendition, with a bit of raunchy bite that was common of Lovelights of the era. Wait until you hear the Lovelight in a couple of weeks here

First post in this thread.

Wharf Rat came up on my iPod and I remembered how much I love that song - then I thought of this thread. One of these days I need to start collecting Dead shows. I had a friend in the early '80s who had a ton of GD cassettes and he gave me a few. One that I remember was from '77 with Stagger Lee (I think) and it just knocked me out -- I played it over and over and wore it out.

Only saw them live twice -- once in '78 and once in '80, both times at the Uptown theatre here in Chicago..... seems like forever ago!

6/30/84 - Sports Centre, Indianapolis IN

I: Jack Straw, Dire Wolf, Minglewood, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Far From Me, Brother Esau > Ramble On Rose, Sailor > Saint > Deal

II: Shakedown > Playin' > Terrapin > Drums > Space > Playin' Reprise > Truckin' > Spoonful > Stella Blue > GDTRFB > Sat. Nite

E: Day Job

Of all the GD shows I attended I might just love this one the most. As most of us know JG was pretty much in a Crosby-style 'walking death' during this year but on this night he was present and accounted for. In fact, he was ON all night long! The Dupree's is possibly the best version I've ever heard - Jerry gives the wah-wah a SERIOUS workout and just blows chorus after chorus of inventive phrases. The closing triad of the first set is very inspired as well, but that second set..

The opening Shakedown is a candidate for a top version - it gets so far out at the end, and then JG suggests Playin'...nice call! Bobby is at his very best during the jam - just crazy, sick rhythms - way out in front in the mix as well. The Terrapin is a letter-perfect take..it sounds like some opium den dream. This first 45 minutes of the set is where I really really got it - hooked for life!

Unlike many shows during this period when Jer goes on auto-pilot post drums he stays in the lead on this night. The Stella > GDTRFB combo is fantastic.

As I've said before this one was a DP-worthy show imo. Check it out if you haven't already.

6/30/84 - Sports Centre, Indianapolis IN

I: Jack Straw, Dire Wolf, Minglewood, Dupree's Diamond Blues, Far From Me, Brother Esau > Ramble On Rose, Sailor > Saint > Deal

II: Shakedown > Playin' > Terrapin > Drums > Space > Playin' Reprise > Truckin' > Spoonful > Stella Blue > GDTRFB > Sat. Nite

E: Day Job

Of all the GD shows I attended I might just love this one the most. As most of us know JG was pretty much in a Crosby-style 'walking death' during this year but on this night he was present and accounted for. In fact, he was ON all night long! The Dupree's is possibly the best version I've ever heard - Jerry gives the wah-wah a SERIOUS workout and just blows chorus after chorus of inventive phrases. The closing triad of the first set is very inspired as well, but that second set..

The opening Shakedown is a candidate for a top version - it gets so far out at the end, and then JG suggests Playin'...nice call! Bobby is at his very best during the jam - just crazy, sick rhythms - way out in front in the mix as well. The Terrapin is a letter-perfect take..it sounds like some opium den dream. This first 45 minutes of the set is where I really really got it - hooked for life!

Unlike many shows during this period when Jer goes on auto-pilot post drums he stays in the lead on this night. The Stella > GDTRFB combo is fantastic.

As I've said before this one was a DP-worthy show imo. Check it out if you haven't already.

you don't by any chance have a link to a really good version of this show, do you?

you don't by any chance have a link to a really good version of this show, do you?

I do not. I believe the decent AUD I have is all that is available, but PM me if you don't mind an old-school b&p. :thumbup

I do not. I believe the decent AUD I have is all that is available, but PM me if you don't mind an old-school b&p. :thumbup

yeah, i found the AUD on the archive. thanks for the offer though! I'm listening...first GD show I've listened to in probably a year or two. takes me back. the AUD isn't too bad...maybe we'll get lucky and they'll include this one on a DP or something.

Just found out about this show with Bob Weir, Rob Wasserman, Ramblin Jack Elliot. I've only listened to one track but its way better then any recent ratdog. It's up at http://www.ratdog.org/ on the front page. It's awesome.

yeah, i found the AUD on the archive. thanks for the offer though! I'm listening...first GD show I've listened to in probably a year or two. takes me back. the AUD isn't too bad...maybe we'll get lucky and they'll include this one on a DP or something.

If you dig around on bt.etree or dime a dozen, you might find a SBD of the show. Even though they are streaming only at archive.org, I still see them being put up at BT sites.

>Bob Weir interviewed in Motor Trend Magazine

Thanks for the link. Of the myriad Dead articles I've read over the years, that certainly offered a different take, aside from Cassidy being able to see around corners while driving.