The Grateful Dead

In that case, may I recommend Frost Ampitheatre, 10/9/82? Very loose, but Jerry is on fire most of the night (at least, to my ears). Some of my favorite versions of songs, including Alabama and the Throwin>Touch combo.

http://www.archive.org/details/gd82-10-09....5800.sbeok.shnf

Just my two cents....10/10/82 was my all time favorite show to attend. We got burned on bogus tickets for 10/9. But the next day was great. Classic CA Fall weather for an afternoon show, harvest time had just happened up north, the windowpane was clean and a beautiful hippie chick in my arms. Wow, what memories! Many good times followed but I hit the wall in 1987. Many JGB shows after that with my last Dead show in Eugene OR August 22, 1993. Still enjoy the music and the memories.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This reminds me - the very first dead tape someone ever gave me is Syracuse, NY 9/24/82 - second set only.

'82 and '83 are both woefully under-represented in my collection. :ohwell

I think the first show I ever got on tape was the second set of 6/15/76. Great set - the Stella Blue is unbelievably slow but really good.

Just my two cents....10/10/82 was my all time favorite show to attend. We got burned on bogus tickets for 10/9. But the next day was great. Classic CA Fall weather for an afternoon show, harvest time had just happened up north, the windowpane was clean and a beautiful hippie chick in my arms. Wow, what memories!

I have most of the 2nd set of that show on an old cassette, and it is good indeed.

Of course, we can all listen to many of these shows on archive.org any time. Great stuff.

I love the nostalgic stories thread! My first time seeing the Grateful Dead was Nov 1985 in Rochester, NY. Sold out, but an old hippie looked kindly on us and let us pay $35 for 2 tickets, had a blast. I was 15. My parents let me go with my older boyfriend of 3 months. It all worked out, I eventually married him, but I'm pretty sure I won't let my daughter do that. I remember a great show, the one that gave me a lifelong love affair with "Deal."

I remember my idiot brother in law crashing gates in 87 or so even though he had a ticket. Dick.

I remember flying out of Albuquerque in the ice storm of the century to go to a show in Arizona. Some deadhead on the plane bought a round of drinks for everyone after a successful but hairy takeoff. And sitting in a hotel hot tub with a bunch of strangers with music blasting from the windows of some room.

Good times.

There was a lot of beautiful stuff, a lot of scary stuff near the end. I saw so much great music. A concert always came when I needed it the most. I met wonderful people. I wondered out loud the other day to someone when I stopped putting GD stickers on my car. I realized that it was when I couldn't see them anymore. I moved overseas in 93, right after the Vegas shows. I never got to see them again, although from stories my friends told, I probably wouldn't have wanted to go.

I'm just thankful that even though I'm a mom in my late 30's, I feel like I really lived my youth, because of the travelling, friends and music I got to experience over those years and probably 30-40 GD shows.

I'm also thankful that I listen to awesome music from bands who are touring TODAY. Like Wilco.

really loved your comments. that story about the dude buying drinks on the plane is just classic. man, come tour time we were all just psyched. anyway, i recently got to hang out with an old touring buddy and we were just talking about how glad we were we caught the dead and the scene. i mean, i pretty much saw america because of the dead. i visited so many states and towns and met so many people. what a great cultural experience. and all the towns knew who we were and just loved us. especially new york. a rockin' town to see the dead in!

craig

I was telling Ms. Viatroy the other day that I could always tell when they were in Pittsburgh or when Ratdog was playing up the road - becasue a bunch of long haired weirdos would suddenly began appearing on the streets here.

Just my two cents....10/10/82 was my all time favorite show to attend. We got burned on bogus tickets for 10/9. But the next day was great. Classic CA Fall weather for an afternoon show, harvest time had just happened up north, the windowpane was clean and a beautiful hippie chick in my arms. Wow, what memories!

I remember at the time that soundboard tapes circulated pretty widely for those 10/9 and 10/10 shows.

While I had older soundboards, it was pretty ear-opening to hear shows from that era through the soundboard.

Yeah, it's really sad that huge chunks of stuff from Brent's first 4 years are not in the Vault. They just didn't give a shit at the time. Thank God Dick Latvala came on board in '84 or so.

Yeah, it's really sad that huge chunks of stuff from Brent's first 4 years are not in the Vault. They just didn't give a shit at the time. Thank God Dick Latvala came on board in '84 or so.

Well, at the rate Ryno is actually releasing stuff (NOT), it wouldn't matter what is actually in the vault or not. And this new "Road Trips" idea they just came out with is just stupid.

I know a guy who believes that 84 was one of the top years in the GD canon.....and he prefers the aud tapes over the boards. Crazy, eh?

I guess I really haven't listened to too much 80s-era stuff so I haven't heard any of the shows you guys are talking about here, but maybe I will have to venture outside my GD "comfort zone" a bit and try some of those out. I'm just enjoying the fact that this thread (and the one before it) continues to be one of the most active topics around. :dancing

I know a guy who believes that 84 was one of the top years in the GD canon.....and he prefers the aud tapes over the boards. Crazy, eh?

To each his own, of course, but I highly prefer both '83 and '85 to '84 and would even slip '88 into that category. Not that there weren't good/great shows in '84, but I prefer the cocaine-fueled Garcia ferocity of a lot of the '83 catalog and the experimentation with set lists and stray/rare tunes from '85. And for '88 (and '89, really) Brent was particularly on fire imo.

To each his own, of course, but I highly prefer both '83 and '85 to '84 and would even slip '88 into that category. Not that there weren't good/great shows in '84, but I prefer the cocaine-fueled Garcia ferocity of a lot of the '83 catalog and the experimentation with set lists and stray/rare tunes from '85. And for '88 (and '89, really) Brent was particularly on fire imo.

yeah some good stuff those years....glad yer back Lam

6/30/84 - best damn GD show I ever saw. I was a fan before that but the first 45 minutes of the second set (Shakedown>Playin'>Terrapin) hooked me for life!

'84 was really an erratic year on the whole though. JG was at his very worst health-wise then.

I have never understood the lack of love for Steal Your Face (at least on vinyl ... I've read that some people didn't like the CD transfer, and for whatever reason, the band didn't like the album in general). I don't know, I think the versions of Promised Land, Cold Rain & Snow and Mississippi Half Step are all killer!

Steal Your Face (on CD) was one of the first purchases I made when I started getting into the band in the early 90s. I've never heard the vinyl, but its true that the CD sounds absolutely horrible. I remember having to turn the volume waaaay up just to hear it and then it was kind of hissy. But no doubt there are some killer tunes on there. There are a number of songs here that went on to become among my absolute favorites, and this is where I heard them first as a new fan and fell in love with them: Stella Blue, Half-Step, Ship of Fools, Black-Throated Wind, Sugaree, It Must Have Been the Roses

Wow, I haven't heard this album in ages, but looking at that tracklist its probably no coincidence that those are all on the short list of my "hell-yeah" GD songs. I think I eventually ditched the cds because I found better-sounding versions of all of those songs elsewhere, but really, I remember rocking the hell out to this version of Beat It On Down the Line and I doubt I've ever heard a version I like better than the one here. At least that's how I remember it.

That material was re-worked, and can now be found on The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack. I don't think I have ever heard it.

The soundtrack is excellent, because it has what SYF omitted: the jams!

I think this week is the anniversary of the very first MSG shows (1979). If I'm not mistaken, they were also the shows where JG got his first death threat.

That material was re-worked, and can now be found on The Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack. I don't think I have ever heard it.

That soundtrack is my favorite live material The Dead have released. Sound quality is amazing and the music on it is some of the best stuff they ever perfomed. I would say it is essential and I already had all the shows the soundtrack is taken from. The sound quality alone is worth it.

I feel one of my Dead phases coming on. Maybe I'll go to the archive.org and listen to the first of three Dead shows I attended. 9/19/87 at the MSG.

Set List:

Hell in a Bucket

Sugaree

Walkin' Blues

Candyman

Masterpiece

Bird Song

Shakedown Street

Man Smart/Woman Smarter

Terrapin Station

drums

Goin' Down the Road Feelin' Bad