The Grateful Dead

It's the same old theater where Ms. Viatroy and I saw Ryan Adams - I guess the dude who books shows there must like jambands. They have had SCI, The Disco Biscuits, and Yonder Mountain String Band there, among others, in the last couple of years. If the DSO show was on a weekend night I would go I think.

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something about these guys rubs me the wrong way. I'm sure any dead head who owns a guitar would love to play dead songs to people in some capacity. But to stand in the same spots, play the same shows, take on players. Just to odd for me. On top of all that they charge a shit load for being a cover band.

Do they really have it? As you can guess i've never given them a chance.

They're not like Beatlemania where they try to be the Dead. While they have had members (I remember a "Bobby" from a while back who affected Weir's mannerisms eerily dead-on) whom bear an uncanny vocal stage presence resemblance (their keyboard guy unfortunately even passed away a couple years ago), and although they usually play complete shows (with "bonus" materials tossed in at the end), they aren't trying to replicate the concert note for note. They bring their own musicianship to the table and they've always been top-notch when I've seen them (roughly 20+ shows).

They're just sharing their take on tunes they dig and that there's still an audience for. Personally, I don't like big venues and try to avoid them. I appreciate being able to see good music in small clubs.

I think some people tend to get irked by them because they're "just a cover band." I say: so what? It's a night of good musical talent with tunes I love and people I like to be around (for the most part).

As I recall, the dude who bought Bill's vault was sued by The Grateful Dead - so I wonder how it is they are still putting up Dead shows there.

It would seem to be OK to stream them, but to offer downloadable files (for free) is a no-no. I'm sure a licensing thing to sell files can be worked out.

It would seem to be OK to stream them, but to offer downloadable files (for free) is a no-no. I'm sure a licensing thing to sell files can be worked out.

They are selling shows on there now - not GD though I think. I should look it up, but I think they were sueing the guy over anything/everthing he did with the shows.

It's the same old theater where Ms. Viatroy and I saw Ryan Adams - I guess the dude who books shows there must like jambands. They have had SCI, The Disco Biscuits, and Yonder Mountain String Band there, among others, in the last couple of years. If the DSO show was on a weekend night I would go I think.

Aman if you can swing it you should check 'em out. I've seen them a few times and they are damn good imo.

A little sto-ray: when they do the complete show thing they don't announce it until the very end. One time I saw them in Indy and me and some friends of mine were debating what show we thought had just been played. I announced that I thought it was 12/28/81 - and it was! Those people looked at me like I was insane. My friends have called me "Rain Man" ever since. :stunned

They're not like Beatlemania where they try to be the Dead. While they have had members (I remember a "Bobby" from a while back who affected Weir's mannerisms eerily dead-on) whom bear an uncanny vocal stage presence resemblance (their keyboard guy unfortunately even passed away a couple years ago), and although they usually play complete shows (with "bonus" materials tossed in at the end), they aren't trying to replicate the concert note for note. They bring their own musicianship to the table and they've always been top-notch when I've seen them (roughly 20+ shows).

They're just sharing their take on tunes they dig and that there's still an audience for. Personally, I don't like big venues and try to avoid them. I appreciate being able to see good music in small clubs.

I think some people tend to get irked by them because they're "just a cover band." I say: so what? It's a night of good musical talent with tunes I love and people I like to be around (for the most part).

i have seen them a few times. the jerry guy sounds like garcia, but can't jam at all. they get all the little licks in etc. i can do with out the 'donna' woman. not necessary. also, the 'bobby' dude is just too much like weir. it's amazing he plays guitar like bob (he's a very peculiar player inverted chord voicings etc.) but he's just kind of wierd. DSO gets cool when the do their own sets...shit us heads would have loved to have seen ie: Chinacat>Scarlet>Help>Terrapin>Slip>El Paso>Franklins>Fire>Rider>Playin' Reprise!!! Wow that looks so cool on paper!

craig

I always thought a dream set would go somethin' like this: Weather Report > Eyes > Playin' > The Other One > Darkstar > Morning Dew E: We Bid You Goodnight

each song would be jammed out for a minimum of 20 minutes :thumbup

I think this week will mark 42 years since the Trips Festival. As I recall this was where Jerry first really interacted with Bill Graham.

Sweeping the floor. ha ha

Aman - do you have that "Unreleased '66" CD that was an official release a few years back? I forget the name...

Aman - do you have that "Unreleased '66" CD that was an official release a few years back? I forget the name...

You know, I never heard about that being released - just noticed it one day when I was looking at the official site. At first, I thought it was the same as the Birth of The Dead cd that is in the WB boxset.

Anyone see this? Les Claypool's jamband mockumentary -Electric Apricot

I had not heard of this, but it sounds like it could be funny...or not. But for some reason the word "Festeroo" makes me laugh, so now I want to see this.

I've seen it mentioned before but never the trailer. That looks pretty funny.

Has anyone else bought the Road Trips set yet? I just got mine yesterday and am giving it my first cursory listen. '79 is part of an era that is under-represented in my collection, and I've been on a huge GD kick lately (albeit mostly an early-70s one, which is a different beast) so this collection seemed like a good idea for broadening my horizons. (plus I fell for the "buy now and get the bonus disc!" thing, because the bonus disc looks arguably better than disc 1) I hope so, anyway. So far disc one is leaving me kind of cold. I have high hopes for disc 2 and 3, tho, so I'm not to complain yet.

Anyone else have this yet and have opinions?

Has anyone else bought the Road Trips set yet? I just got mine yesterday and am giving it my first cursory listen. '79 is part of an era that is under-represented in my collection, and I've been on a huge GD kick lately (albeit mostly an early-70s one, which is a different beast) so this collection seemed like a good idea for broadening my horizons. (plus I fell for the "buy now and get the bonus disc!" thing, because the bonus disc looks arguably better than disc 1) I hope so, anyway. So far disc one is leaving me kind of cold. I have high hopes for disc 2 and 3, tho, so I'm not to complain yet.

Anyone else have this yet and have opinions?

I've had it for a couple of months now. Disc 2 and the bonus disc are a bit stronger. I've always been a real "primal dead " type of listener. I usually keep it to 68-74 about 80% of the time, but I figured, like you, I was under-represented with other stuff. I like this set of tunes. It's not gonna be my favorite, but it's pretty decent and I have listened to it multiple times. Latter year Dead ( to me ) just doesn't usually get me off. Thats not to say its bad, just that it doesn't have that same wow factor for me. This set is pretty good, but doesn't overwhelm me like a good 72 Playin or Darkstar does. That being said there is a fine, fine Terrapin. The Shakedown (always a good tune) is pretty interesting and the bonus disc has some good jams on it.

I like this concept (snippets of a tour rather than a full show ) even though I would rather see full shows a-la Dick's Picks as I like hearing how a full show develops it's ebbs and flows. That being said it will be interesting to see where this pans out...at least for me it will give me the opportunity to listen to some stuff I otherwise may not normally listen to.

I like this concept (snippets of a tour rather than a full show ) even though I would rather see full shows a-la Dick's Picks as I like hearing how a full show develops it's ebbs and flows. That being said it will be interesting to see where this pans out...at least for me it will give me the opportunity to listen to some stuff I otherwise may not normally listen to.

As far as official releases go, lately I've been listening a ton to the Ladies and Gentlemen (71) and Steppin' Out (72) sets, both of which are also compiled from multiple shows, and those releases are just about flawless in my eyes. I could listen to them endlessly...and have....which is partly why I figured I needed to give myself a break. :P

As far as official releases go, lately I've been listening a ton to the Ladies and Gentlemen (71) and Steppin' Out (72) sets, both of which are also compiled from multiple shows, and those releases are just about flawless in my eyes. I could listen to them endlessly...and have....which is partly why I figured I needed to give myself a break. :P

Rockin' the Rhein (4/24/72) is an official release and a very worthy one if you have not heard it. Full show with a few bonus tracks.

I concur with DS about the Road Trips - good stuff, it just doesn't "flow" like a full show.

Rockin' the Rhein (4/24/72) is an official release and a very worthy one if you have not heard it. Full show with a few bonus tracks.

I almost bought the Rhein set recently when I got an iTunes gift cert for xmas and I ended up buying the Steppin' Out set, which I looooove. I will definitely get the Rhein set at some point, but I figured I needed to take a step away from '72 for a little while. I'm not sure I could ever burn myself out on it, but there's lots of other good stuff out there, too.

I have Rockin' the Rhein, but not Steppin' Out (which was the original title for Europe'72 - right?). But - I think I have heard the shows that make up the Steppin' Out release at some point.

Disc one

"Cold Rain and Snow" (trad., arr. Grateful Dead)

The Truckin>Drums>The Other One>El Paso>The Other One>Wharf Rat is godly. Maybe my favorite Other One anywhere. The Dark Star jam on Disc 4 is no slouch either. This was taken from multiple nights but, amazingly, the whole thing does have the flow of a single show.

The first two discs are very song-based--and very good versions, too. The only long ones there are the Pigpen numbers--a great Good Lovin on disc 2. Disc 3 and 4 are where the jams are. :music