• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's that like? I've just finished this:

519W4Ozr4kL._AA240_.jpg

Brilliant!!

Freaks & Geeks is brilliant, Undeclared (two episodes in) is okay.

Seconded. I like F&G so much more than Undeclared, although that series grew on me a bit by the end. I was genuinely sad to reach the last episode of F&G though. Highly recommended. Also, 5 episodes into Flight of the Conchords and really liking it!

Brilliant!!

Seconded. I like F&G so much more than Undeclared, although that series grew on me a bit by the end. I was genuinely sad to reach the last episode of F&G though. Highly recommended. Also, 5 episodes into Flight of the Conchords and really liking it!

I got to the end of Arrested Development and felt a bit empty really as there was nothing, or nothing I was aware of, good enough to replace it. What was the deal with its cancellation? I can't believe there weren't enough people watching it at the end (I'm in England y'see)? Sure it's a bit farcical, like a theatre farce, but what's not to like about that?

Anyway, a bit more digging brought up both Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared as potential replacements (both, again, cancelled - I see a pattern emerging). So hopefully they can return me to the old comedy highs, albeit temporary.

Are there any other gems over stateside? For the record, and I know it's heresy, I hate Seinfeld and dislike Curb Your Enthusiasm.

I've heard Pushing Daisies is quite good, but is there anything else?

I got to the end of Arrested Development and felt a bit empty really as there was nothing, or nothing I was aware of, good enough to replace it. What was the deal with its cancellation? I can't believe there weren't enough people watching it at the end (I'm in England y'see)? Sure it's a bit farcical, like a theatre farce, but what's not to like about that?

Anyway, a bit more digging brought up both Freaks and Geeks and Undeclared as potential replacements (both, again, cancelled - I see a pattern emerging). So hopefully they can return me to the old comedy highs, albeit temporary.

Are there any other gems over stateside? For the record, and I know it's heresy, I hate Seinfeld and dislike Curb Your Enthusiasm.

Fox canceled AD, then there was talk of a few different cable networks picking it up, but in the end either the producer or writer (I forget who) decided he didn't want to do it anymore and that was the end of that.

I haven't watched Pushing Daisies. Have you tried the American version of The Office? The first season (which is only 6 episodes) is similar to the BBC version plot-wise, but starting in the second season the show really comes into its own. I love it.

And if I can convince you to move away from comedies, I can't say enough about Lost, Heroes season 1, and Battlestar Galactica.

Fox canceled AD, then there was talk of a few different cable networks picking it up, but in the end either the producer or writer (I forget who) decided he didn't want to do it anymore and that was the end of that.

The fools. That's dashed my hopes of someday seeing a Gob magical extravaganza in Vegas [cues up Final Countdown]

Have you tried the American version of The Office? The first season (which is only 6 episodes) is similar to the BBC version plot-wise, but starting in the second season the show really comes into its own. I love it.

Have been meaning to watch it, but they often put it on at some un-Godly hour here. I do intend to catch it one day. They do a similar scheduling thing with Entourage, which I have caught a couple of times, and quite enjoyed, even if it did start to resemble an alpha-male version of Sex In The City after a while.

And if I can convince you to move away from comedies, I can't say enough about Lost, Heroes season 1, and Battlestar Galactica.

I used to really like Lost, then I just lost (ho ho!) tolerance with it at Season 3 - it felt like the writers were just making it up as they went, and stringing the viewer along with it. However, a few people have said to me, due to it's mid-season lulls, that it's best to watch that season all in one setting, rather than an episode a week, which kinda strung it out with no real glimmer of a conclusion. I will be interested to see how Cloverfield fares at the US box office on the back of Lost.

Not got round to Heroes yet... I did read somewhere that Season 2 isn't as good. I don't care though, being a someone who likes over-dramatic cliffhanger nonsense (eg I think Theodore Bagwell in Prison Break is the best TV character in many a moon), I'm sure I'll take to it like a duck to water.

Pushing Daisies is a great show. Especially visually. Very different from anything else on TV. It has the look of Edward Scissorhands. I would give it a shot!

Agree! Those guys crack me up.

If you like that, and you like Napoleon Dynamite, then check out this (unless you already have):

51ht9urcWkL._AA240_.jpg

Jemaine from Conchords is in it, as you can see from the cover. And it's the same kinda loser comedy as Napoleon, only with zero redeeming qualities for the New Zealand ND equivalant (Jemaine's character).

I used to really like Lost, then I just lost (ho ho!) tolerance with it at Season 3 - it felt like the writers were just making it up as they went, and stringing the viewer along with it. However, a few people have said to me, due to it's mid-season lulls, that it's best to watch that season all in one setting, rather than an episode a week, which kinda strung it out with no real glimmer of a conclusion. I will be interested to see how Cloverfield fares at the US box office on the back of Lost.

Not got round to Heroes yet... I did read somewhere that Season 2 isn't as good. I don't care though, being a someone who likes over-dramatic cliffhanger nonsense (eg I think Theodore Bagwell in Prison Break is the best TV character in many a moon), I'm sure I'll take to it like a duck to water.

There are definite pacing issues with season 3. I was disappointed nearly every week. However, the last 2/3 of the season is some of the best of the series. The finale is mind-blowing. And now they've plotted out that there are 48 remaining episodes, so the show should be back on track. And yes, Heroes season 2 did blow, but Tim Kring actually apologized for that. And then the writers strike hit so the season got cut short anyway.

Pushing Daisies is a great show. Especially visually. Very different from anything else on TV. It has the look of Edward Scissorhands. I would give it a shot!

Oh my Lord! A quick wikipedia scan has revealed that Anna Friel stars in it. She's British, in fact she started in a Liverpool-based (Liverpudlian) soap opera called Brookside, and was responsible for a huge crush I had on her during college.

Wisely, I think the Brookside scriptwriters made her a lesbian (true) and a murderess of her father (true) in a bid to put me off her. It didn't work. And, in the case of the former character trait, actually made matters worse for teenage m_thomp.

If you like that, and you like Napoleon Dynamite, then check out this (unless you already have):

Jemaine from Conchords is in it, as you can see from the cover. And it's the same kinda loser comedy as Napoleon, only with zero redeeming qualities for the New Zealand ND equivalant (Jemaine's character).

Cool thanks, I just put that on my netflix list. To be released on Jan. 8th. I am Napolean Dynamite fan.

Never seen Dead Like Me, but from the description it doesn't sound very similar. In Pushing Daisies, the main character learns as a child that if he touches someone once they die, and if he touches them a second time they come alive again. The catch is, if he doesn't touch them for a third time within one minute and render them dead for good, someone else dies instead. So he teams up with a private investigator and they go to the morgue to ask the dead who killed them, and then the PI "solves the case" and they collect reward money. But there's a whole underlying story between him and his childhood love who dies (not by his hand), and he uses his power to make her live again at the expense of someone else's life. However, he can never touch her or else she will die forever.

It's a neat show with extremely quirky characters, and like I said, visually stunning. I can't believe it hasn't been canceled yet.

I see. When I did a google search on Pushing Daises, there was some talk of it being Dead Like Me mixed with John Doe. I think I have seen some of all these shows. I suppose I have not really found any new shows to watch though - I am looking forward to checking out New Amsterdam - if it is still on the schedule. Also, I have more or less finally given up on ER. Not counting some reality shows, I think the only shows I watch right now are My Name Is Earl and The Office. What's funny is - that almost all of the stuff I watch is on Thursday nights - and soon, LOST will also be on Thursday nights.