woohoo!

IFC is showing a film tonight that I always wanted to see, but never remembered that I wanted to see it!

The Assassination of Richard Nixon

503377~The-Assassination-of-Richard-Nixon-Posters.jpg

I've always been a supporter of Sean Penn as one of the greatest actors of his generation, and this, IIRC, was an extremely well received pic.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I didn't like Across the Universe--goofy, cloying, glib--but it does have some interesting visual ideas.

This movie infuriated me. Borderline sacreligious!

But really, I thought it was ridiculous.

Also, finally was able to see Batman Begins...which was the best possible way to portray him in a more realistic fashion. :)
As a shirtless, ripped, Christian Bale? I agree whole-heartedly. :blush

bettyamann.jpg

Asphalt / Joe May / Germany / 1929

A slow-burning German melodrama about a Berlin police officer being seduced by an elegant jewel thief. It

gonebabygone.gif

Gone Baby Gone - Pretty damn good. Ben Affleck is a decent director, if not a unique one. The story left me grappling with the idea of doing the right thing vs doing what seems right. No easy answers. Took me by surprise in that way. Casey Affleck's awesome, and Amy Ryan is spot-on as an average Boston dirtbag. It would've been cool if Michelle Monaghan could act, but oh well.

Gone Baby Gone - Pretty damn good. Ben Affleck is a decent director, if not a unique one. The story left me grappling with the idea of doing the right thing vs doing what seems right. No easy answers. Took me by surprise in that way. Casey Affleck's awesome, and Amy Ryan is spot-on as an average Boston dirtbag.

Agreed on all counts, and I would add that its sense of place--its verisimilitude--is another major virtue. The movie has really stuck with me.

paranoid-park.jpg

To my eyes, Paranoid Park is by far the best of Van Sant's recent cycle of impressionistic "vibe" films (which also includes Gerry, Elephant, and Last Days). This time, the psyche of the main character feels fully explored, not merely hinted at with vague approximations.

poster%20great%20flamarian.jpg

I'm gonna keep beating the drum for director Anthony Mann... even his lesser-known B-movies, such as the mystery thriller The Great Flamarion, are the work of a visual master.

redacted.jpg

Most critics dismissed it, but even though it stacks the deck I think Redacted is Brian De Palma's best work since 1989's Casualties of War, another unfairly maligned movie about war stories nobody wants to hear. This one, though, employs a multimedia strategy--the story is cobbled together from home videos, websites, YouTube, newscasts, security footage, etc.--that suggests true redaction might be impossible: In the age of high-tech information, the full truth about the Iraq War, good and bad, can be gleaned. Both movies are flawed, at times overwritten, poorly acted, and too didactic, but both are guided by a very real passion for truth and decency, and contain palpable rage against atrocities committed by "the good guys."

I was unsettled by the final sequence, though, which is a slideshow of actual photographs of dead Iraqi citizens, their faces "redacted" with black bars. De Palma's points had been fully made by his fictional story, and the inclusion of those real photos felt like overkill--an exploitation.

poze_n10.jpg

There's nothing pleasant about the abortion drama 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days, but it's gripping in every respect and absolutely as good as they say. One of the best movies I've seen in recent months.