51j4kt0faCL._SS500_.jpg

Well this was pretty stupid. Some nice work from the leads, and the other high-schoolers had that Freaks & Geeks realism going on, but too many lame jokes, poor pacing and an overlong running time (two fucking hours!) sunk this one.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well this was pretty stupid. Some nice work from the leads, and the other high-schoolers had that Freaks & Geeks realism going on, but too many lame jokes, poor pacing and an overlong running time (two fucking hours!) sunk this one.

I thought I was the only one who thought Superbad was spectacularly overrated.

NW:

519WWTHF9BL._AA240_.jpg

Bielinsky's Nine Queens is one of the niftiest "puzzle" movies I've ever seen, so I've been meaning to watch his follow-up, The Aura, for some time. I'm pressing play in a few minutes.

so, i got really excited when i saw that this...

199192.1020.A.jpg

...was on one of the movie channels saturday night. it was one of those flicks that we must have watched every time it played on HBO as youngsters. i was floored w/ how much i disliked it now. no amount of nostalgia could cover up it's flaws. there were still a few things visually that i enjoyed, especially in the context of the time it was made...but overall, what a bummer.

Allman Brothers Band - MTV Unplugged

Seven Turns Tour

I've watched a few over the past week:

2343764922_1bbd190d33.jpg

Walker is surprisingly forthcoming and insightful in this one. A must see for any fans.

t162194emeu.jpg

Like Easy Rider, this is another film that signified the coming end of the peace & love era. Peter Boyle is quite good in this. I think it's Susan Sarandon's first film too, she sure looks young in this one.

51YMPSZBDDL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Though Keir Dullea can often be quite wooden in his acting, this film still works overall thanks in big part to the girl that plays Lisa.

51VTTP0X6PL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Oddly compelling.

51fdih7kUsL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Hadn't seen this one in years. It still holds up very well. Made me wonder why I haven't seen Joan Allen in more films lately.

King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Video games from my youth and obsessive types make for an interesting doc :).

Watched an absolutely brilliant Toho sci-fi adventure film last night via Neflix...

314660.1020.A.jpg

Latitude Zero

Three men (Dr. Ken Tashiro, Dr. Jules Masson, and Perry Lawton) are trapped in a bathysphere due to seismic activity. They are rescued by the crew of the supersubmarine, Alpha, captained by Craig Mackenzie (Joseph Cotten), which they learn is over 200 years old (and that the Alpha was launched in the early 1800s). Mackenzie takes them to Latitude Zero to deal with the serious injuries of Dr Masson. While returning to LZ, they are attacked by a rival supersubmarine, the Black Shark, captained by Kuroi, who works for a rival of Mackenzie, Malic, who is also over 200 years old and has a base at Blood Rock.

Latitude Zero is a paradise hidden fifteen miles below the surface at the intersection of the Equator and the International Date Line. Gold is plentiful there and is used for protective clothing by the island's newcomers, while those who arrived in the nineteenth century prefer to dress as they are accustomed, as no one ages or dies. Diamonds are very common and used only in industrial use.

Dr. Malic (Caeser Romero), however, wishes to destroy the paradise of Latitude Zero, and used giant rats and anthropomorphic bats in addition to James Bond-style devices against the undersea kingdom. Worst of all, after a cruel experiment grafting the wings of an eagle to a lion, he removes the brain of his former ally, Kuroi (Hikaru Kuroki) and places her brain in the creature, which proves to be his undoing.

Written by the same guy that did 'Them'. So much fun. I haven't checked, but if this never got the MST3K treatment, it should have.

i liked darjeeling, but didn't geek out over it like i did w/ previous anderson flicks.

It had its good parts, I just kept hoping for Alec Baldwin to drop in some back-story narratives.

Magic K had me rent this one the other night...we watched it (with more that a bit of discomfort on Dad's part)

951_atonement-pic.jpg

I watched this on SPIKE Monday night

kill-bill-yellow-leathers-5001152.jpg

We watched this on on TCM last night

Video%20-%20The%20Birds.jpg

Rear Window is my favorite Hitch flick. It just is.

OMG Me Too!

Unfortunately NBC only has four of the episodes up on their website, and hasn't announce a when the new season starts. I haven't been this excited about a show in a long time, the comedy, action, and drama is the perfect blend!

Besides Yvonne Strahovsky is a total babe!

chuck_l.jpg