• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^ I just picked up Comic Book Confidential from the library yesterday :).

Anyway, watched this teeth-rattling thriller tonight:

41ZBY09ECFL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Guest Muncle Douchey

Cloverfield

i enjoyed it. better than i was expecting, considering i'd heard some pretty bad testimonials. but i'm not bothered by shaky cameras like many others. i thought it was cool and well done. funny at times as well.

I watched Spike Lee's Bamboozled the other night. Highly recommend, its very hard to watch at times (only because its so disturbingly true), some of the best commentary on race in the mass media and the history of black face.

Cloverfield

i enjoyed it. better than i was expecting, considering i'd heard some pretty bad testimonials. but i'm not bothered by shaky cameras like many others. i thought it was cool and well done. funny at times as well.

I loved Cloverfield, I saw it like 2 days after it opened, right in the midst of the hype, and I thought it really lived up to it.

No Country for Old Men. Great movie. Not sure if it's Oscar-worthy, but I'm glad for the Coen Bros. How many Coen brothers movies feature incompetent criminals?? Raising Az., Fargo, Ladykillers, Oh Brother, more if I thought about it.

speedracer-lenticular2.jpg

Had a little Mother-Daughter date with my kiddo. We've been excited about Speed Racer together for a while now. I was a bit let down. I think I just expected too much. It was still fun, racing scenes were exciting enough and crazy colorful. The best part was waiting until everyone else had left the auditorium so we could dance in the aisle to "Go, Speed Racer, gooooooo!" :dancing

charlie wilson's war. would have been better I think without Julia Roberts (I can't watch her and suspend disbelief that it's not just Julia Roberts acting), not that she hasn't done decent work before. Phillip Seymour Hoffman became an "I'll see any movie with ________ in it" actor for me so long ago and it's paid off.

Well, if you look at it in a Coen brothers kind of way, the ending is genius.. But it does leave you hanging and wanting closure..

That's the thing, though. Life is like that. There is no closure.

Iron Man. Liked it quite a bit. Downey really made the movie, but Bridges was solid as well. Good thing we stayed for the credits - something AWESOME was revealed.

I agree. In a sense, I thought there was closure, though. Tommy Lee Jones was so overwhelmed by the events of the movie, that he took early retirement. He couldn't cope with it. He still wanted the comfort of his dad to deal with the harsh realities of life.

Has anyone read the book? How close is the movie to it?

My three year old girl loves it too. We really push the whole "I am not a gun." concept in our house. She also managed to get hooked on Ninja Turtles some time back (the old Turtles movie and series, not the newer tv show). With that one, she knows that, as Master Splinter says, "A true Ninja only fights as a last resort." :peace

Iron Man. Liked it quite a bit. Downey really made the movie, but Bridges was solid as well. Good thing we stayed for the credits - something AWESOME was revealed.

My kids just took me to see Iron Man....not my typical sort of movie, but we all had a great time! :yes Bjorn's right, Downey was very good in it.

And while we're discussing Iron, The Iron Giant is one of my very favorite movies as well. Just beautiful. :thumbup

Comic_Book_Confidential.jpg

it's a complete travesty that isn't availble via netflix, i'll have to check around elsewhere. finally watched 'juno' on friday night w/ the wife who has already watched it twice. great flick, loved it. also caught a TOHO sci-fi classic...'The Mysterions'. goofy fun.

speedracer-lenticular2.jpg

Had a little Mother-Daughter date with my kiddo. We've been excited about Speed Racer together for a while now. I was a bit let down. I think I just expected too much. It was still fun, racing scenes were exciting enough and crazy colorful. The best part was waiting until everyone else had left the auditorium so we could dance in the aisle to "Go, Speed Racer, gooooooo!" :dancing

i was going to try and catch that this weekend...now i'm thinking i'll wait until the DVD. i don't put that much creedence in reviews, but they've been pretty horrible.

i was going to try and catch that this weekend...now i'm thinking i'll wait until the DVD. i don't put that much creedence in reviews, but they've been pretty horrible.

I have read mixed things about it. The Tribune said it was 3 stars which is generally and indication that it would be pretty decent. Unfortunately, it also said that their is gratuitous language sprinkled throughout. As a result, I won't be able to take the kids. Not sure why they would include swearing in a movie that could very obviously be targeted at kids.

I have read mixed things about it. The Tribune said it was 3 stars which is generally and indication that it would be pretty decent. Unfortunately, it also said that their is gratuitous language sprinkled throughout. As a result, I won't be able to take the kids. Not sure why they would include swearing in a movie that could very obviously be targeted at kids.

hmmm, yeah...i may still sneak out of work early this week and go catch a matinee. it does look like one of those visual overloads best viewed in a big screen format.

i hear you on the swearing thing...that animated deal about the surfing penguins had a bunch of language in there that my wife was really enthused about me accidentally exposing the boys to.