• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

the-mist.jpg

The Mist is one of the best "genre" flicks I've seen in ages. Truly unsettling. A lot of people disliked how the movie makes its social criticism explicit, but that's exactly what I loved about it. And I think I could lead an entire class on what this film says about fear, desperation, and fanaticism. What it condemns and endorses isn't always obvious. SPOILER:

The religious imagery is especially confounding; among many others things, consider how the wacko's death is framed to give her a cruciform pose, and how the shocking Abraham's sacrifice at the end suggests that mankind does, indeed, have something to pay for

I loved this flick!

thewackness.jpg

Good little imperfect coming-of-age film set in 1994 NYC. Big ups for expressing youthful frustration honestly and for Ben Kingsley hitting a bong.

EDIT: One issue - you can't tell me that a 17-year-old white dude in NYC in 1994, who loves The Pharcyde and A Tribe Called Quest, wasn't listening to Ill Communication that summer. Pfft!

my-blueberry-nights-movie-poster.jpg

Wong Kar-Wai's My Blueberry Nights is no Chungking Express, but still much better than its reputation suggests. It takes awhile to realize that Norah Jones

Mad_Detective_Hong_Kong.jpg

Mad Detective / Johnny To and Wai Ka-Fai / Hong Kong

How mad is the detective? In the opening sequence, he orders himself zipped into a suitcase and tossed down a staircase, and also presents his own severed ear, sliced on the spot, to a fellow officer as a retirement gift. Eventually we learn that this lunatic has the ability to see the "inner personalities" of people, which enables him to envision the truth of any crime scene. The central mystery concerns a murdered cop and missing pistols, but the film focuses instead on issues of identity, weakness, and delusion. It's all very fast, entertaining, willfully silly.

A couple of chuckles, but ultimately a snoozer.

I really liked it. Especially the scene in the park. When I really like a movie, I'll check out some bonus features. There were some important scenes that ended up on the cutting room floor. That, and a decapitation!

little_fugitive.jpg

Little Fugitive / Ray Ashley, Morris Engel, and Ruth Orkin / 1953

Tricked into believing he has killed his older brother, a young boy takes off and for two days wanders around Coney Island. Part of the movie's beauty is its childlike point-of-view--here is a movie that understands the magic of cotton candy--but since the filmmakers focus on capturing the ambience and rhythms of Brooklyn and Coney Island, the movie also feels like a vital recording of a bygone era.

I watched this last nite. Ok B flick, could've been funnier and needed a lot more blood but at 1:20 minutes, it didnt require much of a time investment.

"I Drink Your Blood" 1971

Some grimy hippies (who happen to be dedicated to devil worship) take over a rat-infested, abandoned farmhouse after their van breaks down. An old man tries to intervene but gets manhandled by the squatters. In retribution, one of the old man's grandkids kills a rabid dog, drains its blood and injects it into a batch of meat pies that he sells to the Satanists. It isn't long before the infection spreads -- zombies ahoy!

Guest Cousin Tupelo
We watched Idiocracy the other night. I can see why Mike Judge had a hard time getting this film released.

I think I fell asleep for five minutes and that movie's premise has already happened.

Before that, we watched Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) - as Ms. Viatroy had not seen it. I was hoping to get Mystery Train (1989) next, but the Blockbuster here does not have it.

Before that, we watched Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai (1999) - as Ms. Viatroy had not seen it. I was hoping to get Mystery Train (1989) next, but the Blockbuster here does not have it.

I loved Screamin' Jay Hawkins in Mystery Train. In fact, the entire flick rocked.

I loved Screamin' Jay Hawkins in Mystery Train. In fact, the entire flick rocked.

I was surprised the store had Ghost Dog, but not Mystery Train. Also, they had Coffee and Cigarettes. I told the manager dude he should get Mystery Train. I too, rather like that movie.