• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

s255.jpg

Gena Rowlands is superb as usual in this.

cloverfield.

i thoroughly enjoyed this.

i'll admit, it had some flaws. it wasn't the fact the acting was bad, it was the fact that it could have/should have been more dramatic at times.

i loved how the macguffin was rob, and not the monster.

I realize this is a long time coming, but I just noticed your post - can you explain how Rob was the MacGuffin in this movie?

teeth.jpg

By using the myth of vagina dentata as a metaphor for teenage sexual awakening, Teeth plays like a deadpan horror-comedy about repression, female vulnerabilities, and male fears, among other things. The final third loses the way, but overall I laughed--and cringed--a lot. The visit to the gynecologist is priceless.

teeth.jpg

By using the myth of vagina dentata as a metaphor for teenage sexual awakening, Teeth plays like a deadpan horror-comedy about repression, female vulnerabilities, and male fears, among other things. The final third loses the way, but overall I laughed--and cringed--a lot. The visit to the gynecologist is priceless.

I've been wanting to see this. I'm sure I would laugh my ass off.

I'm sure I would laugh my ass off.

In the movie, that's not the body part that usually comes off.

The movie also dramatizes one of my greatest personal fears, which is

having my severed penis swallowed by a hungry Rottweiler. Gulp.

^^ I thought that was sweet and touching. Richard Jenkins was was quite good in it.

Started watching this earlier:

Shine-A-Light-Vol-1-2.jpg

Pineapple Express - pretty awesome. Some of the funniest violence outside of a Tarantino film I've ever seen. I'm interested in discussing the film's attitude toward pot with others who have seen this.

In Bruges - my friend who watched it with me said it was like a Trader Joe's snack, and I know what he means - kinda different, interesting, and oddly satisfying.

night-of-the-hunter-mitchum.jpg

Wow. Hard to believe I have lived this long and had never seen this. What a creepy yet aesthetically beautiful film........chiiiildren!

Maybe you want to read the book - the fellow who wrote it, Davis Grubb, was from WV.

night-of-the-hunter-mitchum.jpg

Wow. Hard to believe I have lived this long and had never seen this. What a creepy yet aesthetically beautiful film........chiiiildren!

One of my all time favorites.

"Leaning... leaning... safe and secure from all alarms. Leaning... leaning... leaning on the everlasting arms. "

Creepy bastard....

So I go to my online "queue" today and see that our recently returned disc for the TV series Weeds has prompted this message:

If you liked Weeds: Season 03, you'll also like:

The Spiderwick Chronicles

In other words:

If you liked a TV drama/comedy about a widowed mom selling drugs to get by, you'll also like this shitty fucking kid's movie.

Nice!

Spiderwick Chronicles got pretty good reviews - maybe they just pegged you as a stoner, since it has some wacky visuals, too.

EDIT: Mary-Louise Parker is in both, so I guess that's the connection.

Yes - I enjoyed this much more than i thought I would.

The gf picked that out and I was thinking, oh no, another Jason Statham Transporter/Crank type film. Thankfully it was more restrained than his previous work. It sort of reminded me of a Jean-Pierre Melville film, just not as good.

It sort of reminded me of a Jean-Pierre Melville film, just not as good.

Exactly.

I felt a similar way this afternoon when I watched In Search of a Midnight Kiss. It was okay, but it reminded me of a Richard Linklater film, just not as good. (Nice soundtrack, though, filled with Okkervil River and Shearwater.)

05-large.jpg