• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We watched I'm Not There last night. Umm it was okay. I mean it is the height of pretentiousness but I don't really mind that. The problem for me was that, as someone who knows a bit about Dylan's personal life but not THAT much, it made sense only sporadically. I think if you know Dylan's story backwards and forwards, it likely holds together better, but without that prerequisite knowledge it lacks form and structure. Not because of how it utilizes different actors and shifts from storyline to storyline, but because the points it is trying to make seem indecipherable without knowing why the scenes exist beforehand. I liked the non-traditional storytelling and am glad it isn't another Walk the Line or Ray, but it just fell short for me. If the idea was to mirror Dylan's own abstract storytelling, I think it should be remembered that film is not music. For me, these techniques work in music, but not on film ... at least not this film.

(I'm sure with the rabid Dylan fandom on this board, I'm in the minority)

I only watch Imus on that. I may start watching reruns of Hee-Haw when that's on. Horrible show, but some great musicians.

I always thought it was cool - but, then again, I am from the boondocks. I would like to see the show Marty is going to do.

I've been working my way through this:

51KJ7QY5GXL._SS500_.jpg

51Sn3wcuNGL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Offbeat, well-acted study of mental illness. But a bit too precious at times (the 'This Must Be the Place' dance scene just reeked of trying too hard), and it overstayed its welcome by about 15-20 minutes.

51aLWsNiEiL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Classy and stylish, and edge-of-seat exciting for the most part, except for the complete deflation of an ending.