Pretty amazing. There's really not a built in safety net for the viewer this time around-- in Adaptation we obviously know no matter how crazy it gets he's going to finish the movie, in Eternal Sunshine it's all in Jim Carrey's head the whole time. There's a lot of strange stuff in Synecdoche, New York that just happens without being explained. It's a pretty dense, challenging film, that's devastating, yet hopeful through out. It's his biggest skullfuck yet. I feel like I need to see it a few more times to get it, but I highly recommend checking it out in a few weeks when it comes out.

--Mike

Excellent. BJM is in my top five ever. And I love everything else he's written (except haven't seen Human Nature). I'll be there opening weekend.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This among many others at the great Chicago Film Festival (where I spent my fall break last weekend).

--Mike

I am filled with eager anticipation.

Last night:

TheBandsVisit2007.jpg

I saw The Best of Youth last week and meant to mention that here. 6hrs. Pretty great overall, but uneven in spots, I thought. Definitely recommend it. The closest thing to a book in movie form that I've seen. Those 6hrs allow for character and emotional development in a way that your standard 2hr fare just won't allow.

last night:

2677533744_b3422d68cf.jpg

great flick. light on gore, but heavy on the 'make you watch by peeking through your fingers' scares. nothing revoultionary, but a perfect halloween flick. no spoliers, but the end made me realize how conditioned i am to a certain type of horror flick formula...i liked how disturbed it left me.

in lighter fare, tonight:

monster_squad.jpg

it's been in my netflix que forever. must have watched it w/ my bro and sis every time it came on HBO back in the day.

Saw Rachel Getting Married yesterday, it was superb, excellent story, great performances, and excellent music as well-- Robyn Hitchcock and Fab Five Freddy make guest appearances. Highly recommended, one of the best I've seen this year.

--Mike

water-lilies.jpg

Celine Sciamma's Water Lilies explores the first twinges of (confused) sexuality in several teenage girls, and it has the veneer of thoughtful psychological drama. Taken as a whole, though, it is obvious, run of the mill, and rather dishonest about its reliance on sensationalism. Worse, the characters never feel like human beings; instead, they seem like pawns at the service of a needlessly morose screenplay.

Burn After Reading - I've never had so much fun at a movie while not giving a crap about the plot or the outcome.

Ditto. Had a blast.

Are you watching the episode featuring Bread? I remember that one because my sister made a joke that the lead singer's name was Slice.

I don't recall that one. I think the Retro Channel is running the same few episodes over and over - or it seems that way, anyhow.

"The Island" with Ewan McGregor and Scarlett J.

Laughable acting by Scarlett. My wife and I had some laugh out loud moments spurred by SJ.

Some great action sequences especially one involving railroad car wheels meeting speeding cars head on.

Recommended? No.

It does raise some interesting ethical questions in the area of science. I cant say more without offering spoilers.

We watched Forgetting Sarah Marshall last night. Very forgettable movie. Definitely could've done without seeing Jason Segal's junk.

My wife and I hated that flick.

Richard Roeper said it was an instant classic, in the same vein as Animal House.

I wonder what meds he was on to cause that reaction.

Kristen Bell is quite the snack though. I suppose she made it a tiny bit tolerable.

I liked Forgetting Sarah Marshall. But it was probably because 1.) I like Freaks and Geeks 2.) I actually have a friend who's been working on a Dracula themed rock opera, so that part hit home.

It was definitely no Superbad, but I like how Judd Apatow is giving those guys a lot of creative freedom.

Invasion_of_body_snatchers_1978.jpg

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)

Quality 70's sci-fi/horror. It's unfortunate that the lasting image of this movie -

Donald Sutherland pointing and shrieking

- is also the effing surprise ending. Still, a really well done thrillride/paranoia fest from Philip Kaufman. Everyone, especially Leonard Nimoy, terrific. And Brooke Adams at her doe-eyed best. Rawr.