• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I love This American Life. I still need to see Season 2. I was really into the radio show. I still think the radio show is better but I never seem to be listening to the radio when it's on anymore.

Saw Quantum of Solace last night - while I'm glad they're finally making Bond movies that hold my interest (never been a fan at all), I have to wonder if the world needs a second Bourne franchise. The hyperviolence, the "you are there" speed, the rooftop chases, the superhuman feats all don't seem very 'Bond' to me (or to Roger Moore apparently). The female lead is devastatingly hot, but they don't even get it on. Also, where were the gadgets?

200px-Bluevidcov.jpg

We watched Blue last night, the first of Kieślowski's Trois Couleurs trilogy. I liked it but my fiance fell asleep. The biggest issue I had with the film is that Julie is trying to escape everything of her former life yet she brings the blue beaded mobile. That object obviously holds memories for her so bringing it seems at odds with her other actions. It felt to me like a symbolic device for the film and whenever it was on screen it took me out of the film. I just kept thinking "here is a film maker's symbolic device." Otherwise, very good, if not "entertaining."

41PKK18G3CL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51rPXdb0BKL._SS500_.jpg

Photo_TDadexcptEPS.gif

I watched Torturing Democracy over the weekend. While it's a coherent, well-researched, well-documented, and easy to digest examination of how the United States shamefully practiced torture as part of the War on Terror--and willingly sacrificed its moral compass in the process--it covers very familiar territory in very familiar ways. I'm not sure it adds anything new to the conversation that wasn't presented better in films like Taxi to the Dark Side and Standard Operating Procedure (or even broader Iraq films like The Road to Guantanamo, No End in Sight, and Why We Fight). Those films found the stories behind the facts, while this one is a bit like reading the bibliography of a history textbook. There's a place for films of record, of course, but they tend to be limited as cinema.

That said, this might be perfect for the social studies classroom. The website even provides lesson plan ideas, including handouts.

Anyone see Slumdog Millionaire yet? I'm quite looking forward to catching that one.

Also... I really wanna see this after reading excellent reviews in the NY Times and Village Voice. I think it is in VERY limited release, as even here in NYC it's only playing at Film Forum.

harvardyale-postersm.jpg

Maybe I'll catch these next week some time. I think I'm just gonna watch me a lil' 30 Rock tonight.

We watched Tropic Thunder last night and we both loved it. We started the documentary Flock of Dodos as well, but still have about 45 minutes left. So far a very good doc on ID vs. Evolution. It was made by a former Harvard marine biologist who studied under Stephen J. Gould, so it does have a bias, although i thought it was handled PRETTY fairly. There is an evolutionary biologist that is featured that I swear is TheMaker. Ha. :lol I particularly liked the scene where they talked about the problems with the "God of the gaps" idea espoused by ID proponents.

Flock.jpg

Forbidden_Zone_3D_box_art_Legend.jpg

insanity. i'm watching it one more time this weekend before i send it back to netflix.

They colorized that movie? Huh.

patti-smith-dream-of-life-press-book.JPG

Saw this last weekend at a little art-house theater. It was very well done. I'm not really a fan of too much of her music but I appreciate her poetic ability and find her to be a very interesting person. The movie was a nice look into the past 10 years of her life. They've been working on the movie for 11 years. Filming footage, knowing they'd be using it for a documentary eventually. You see her kids grow up, you see her move on past the death of her husband, and you see her both as her "stage" persona and her "daughter/mother" persona. It had an artistic overtone but there weren't any instances that you would say "ugh, the only reason they put this in here was to be ironic". I would highly recommend it for a Patti Smith fan, but even if you aren't it's an in depth look at a multifaceted woman. She has suffered a lot of loss in her life, and you see how she uses that loss to make herself a better person.

Man From Atlantis

The Pilot episode of the short-lived MAN FROM ATLANTIS television series created by Mayo Simon and Star Trek alumnist Herbert F. Solow, starring Patrick Duffy of DALLAS fame as Mark Harris the Man from Atlantis.

Originally airing during the 1977 season as the first of four two hour TV movies the show proved popular enough to be added to the 1978 lineup as a one hour weekly series airing for a total of thirteen episodes before being cancelled.

There's a persistent unsubstantiated rumor that MAN FROM ATLANTIS was originally intented to be a pilot for Marvel Comics' NAMOR THE SUBMARINER. The show's creators were obviously inspired by the comic as the relationship between Mark and Dr. Elizabeth Merrill(Belinda Montegomery) is very reminiscent of that between Namor and 40's comic character Betty Dean.