• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One of my absolute favorites. I'm not afraid to admit that I bawled like a baby at the end of this movie the first time I watched it.

Years ago I showed that movie to a class of high schoolers, including the quarterback of the football team. Near the end, when that Nazi guard came around the corner, alone, the quarterback dropped his jaw and shouted, "Are you kiddin' me!!" He then started to cry.

Years ago I showed that movie to a class of high schoolers, including the quarterback of the football team. Near the end, when that Nazi guard came around the corner, alone, the quarterback dropped his jaw and shouted, "Are you kiddin' me!!" He then started to cry.

Yeah, I showed it in class & had to fight back the tears. Since it was 7th graders, a few of them just didn't get (or want to show) the emotion of the moment.

Yeah, I showed it in class & had to fight back the tears. Since it was 7th graders, a few of them just didn't get (or want to show) the emotion of the moment.

Kids always lose it when I show the last 30 minutes of The Crucible, while a bunch of them are clearly working overtime not to lose it. Others deal with the emotion through nervous laughter. Sometimes I use the moment to talk about why it's beneficial--important, even--to let art get to us.

mongol-poster-big.jpg

I dunno. Mongol mostly feels like an Asian Braveheart--which means it's entertaining and smoothly realized, but also rather repetitive and lunkheaded.

Last 2 films watched:

41ZuEfqarPL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

The original Riot Grrrls? Diane Lane and Laura Dern are so damn young in this. Members of the Sex Pistols and the Clash appear as the band the Looters with Ray Winstone as their singer...

The film is dated, but good fun. The commentaries with Dern and Lane are entertaining too.

613F4J1BSHL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Paul Bartel also directed Death Race 2000 which isn't all that different from this film now that I think about it. This film apparently inspired the Cannonball Run. This one is better, but then again I haven't seen the other one since the 80s.

Last 2 films watched:

51Upm-TqrTL._SL500_AA240_.jpg 51ERBwc4d0L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

White Dog is an interesting look at racism. Parts of it didn't work for me but overall it's worth checking out.

Coma is a pretty good hospital thriller. Genevieve Bujold carries the film quite nicely.

"The King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters"....saw it last night. Interesting film that is chock full of nerds with OCD.

Made me think back on the glory days of game rooms in the mid 80s.....I ruled on Galaga and Stargate.

"The King of Kong: Fistful of Quarters"....saw it last night. Interesting film that is chock full of nerds with OCD.

Made me think back on the glory days of game rooms in the mid 80s.....I ruled on Galaga and Stargate.

thumb_killsc.JPG

heh!

That guy was so pathetic I actually felt a tiny bit embarrassed and sorry for him.

I just watched this movie as well and I have to admit, I got REALLY worked up about the injustice of the whole thing and all acolytes of that one dude, running around kissing his a**.

In similar, but related news I was glad to see that Steve Wiebe was in "Four Christmases" which was much more enjoyable than I thought it would be. All the guys from "Swingers" were in that movie in one way or another (took me a while to recognize "Sue") and the kid from "A Christmas Story" was in there as well.

conte%20noel.jpg

A Christmas Tale is one of the best of the year, I think--even better than Desplechin's last great movie, Kings and Queen.

There's so many films I want/need to see, and this is definitely among them.

I think my favorites of the year are Wall-E and Glory at Sea, a truly stunning 25 minute short film which I encourage everyone to check out. You can watch it in its entirety on YouTube here:

Glory at Sea

Not the same as catching it on a big screen ... but it'll do. It's worth a viewing.

Glory_Poster.jpg

I really love this little movie.