• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How is this?

It's really quite good.

It's surprising the extent Thompson (Frank Black) allowed the cameras insight into his personal life.

The film does a great job of allowing us in on the interpersonal relationships and dynamics, or lack thereof, within the band and the Deal sisters.

It doesn't make the attempt to take a comprehensive look at the music and history of the group. What it does is it focuses on that period where they all come together again.

Never really rejoiceful (there are light happy moments with fans outside of venues) it's peppered throughout with darker moments that allude to the distance between band members and precarious lives that some of them lead.

Gone Country - Jan. 25 8:00 PM ET/PT

Known for pushing the limits of mainstream country music with the genre-bending MuzikMafia, John Rich, of the hit country duo Big & Rich, takes on his biggest challenge yet. He takes seven established performers from every realm of the entertainment and music industries and immerses them in all things country for a chance to break out as the next big country superstar. The one who is most successful at crossing over by the end of the series will have a country single produced by Rich.

The series features an eclectic cast of performers including:

Bobby Brown -- R&B singer, former member of New Edition

Carnie Wilson -- singer-songwriter, former member of Wilson Phillips and author

Dee Snider -- radio personality, lead singer Twisted Sister

Diana DeGarmo -- recording artist, Broadway actor and 2004 American Idol finalist

Julio Iglesias Jr. -- pop singer

Maureen McCormick -- singer-actor, The Brady Bunch

Sisq

I have a little ikol love right now......I am so glad we can come together, amidst our plethora of differences, to have mutual appreciation for the greatness that was MST3K......and yes, those floor sweeper carts were awesome!!

redballoon-763269.jpg

The Red Balloon / Albert Lamorisse / France / 1956

This simple, gorgeous, and poetic movie observes a mysterious red balloon as it willfully follows a young boy along the streets of Paris. I watched it tonight with my three-year-old daughter, and when it was over, I asked whether she liked it. She nodded and said,

It's really quite good.

It's surprising the extent Thompson (Frank Black) allowed the cameras insight into his personal life.

The film does a great job of allowing us in on the interpersonal relationships and dynamics, or lack thereof, within the band and the Deal sisters.

It doesn't make the attempt to take a comprehensive look at the music and history of the group. What it does is it focuses on that period where they all come together again.

Never really rejoiceful (there are light happy moments with fans outside of venues) it's peppered throughout with darker moments that allude to the distance between band members and precarious lives that some of them lead.

I saw this movie and enjoyed the insight into the politics of the band but overall was pretty bored by the whole thing, and I am a pretty big Pixies fan, at least, I was.

Maybe my favorite moment from that show - the opening scene that has Bill Haverchuck getting home from school, making a snack and watching Gary Shandling doing standup. Just beautiful.

Finally got to this last night. That was a great scene, and a perfectly balanced meal he was eating too. Without doubt Haverchuck is my favourite character.

Also, that episode scores big for Nick's own - inspired by Pete Townsend - 'Lady L' song.

Only 5 more episodes to go, and then it's on to Undeclared.

We watched The Last King of Scotland on Friday. I was disappointed to find out the character of the doctor was fictional. Still......great film. Forrest Whittaker was amazing.

We also have Once rented, but have yet to watch it.

Belt-man,

You heard anything about or have any thoughts on 'Dai-Nipponjin' (AKA 'Big Man Japan')? It's making the festival rounds and the few reviews i've read make it sound like it would be in my wheelhouse:

An eccentric man aged about 40 lives alone in a decrepit house in Tokyo. He periodically transforms into a giant' date=' about 30 meters tall, and defends Japan by battling similarly sized monsters that turn up and destroy buildings. The giant and the monsters are computer-generated.[/quote']

I guess, actually, it's filmed in a documentary style about a 'comeback' after the hero has become kind of washed up and only gets coverage on the 3AM news, etc. It's a comedy.

Byeeee,

Egg Shen

Sarah and I haven't watched this since she was 5. What a treat to see again!

mathilda.jpg

(This has to be one of the most subversive and visually hilarious kid's movie ever made.)

Currently watching Across the Universe.

Awful. Every song that Evan Rachel Wood/Lucy sings is absolutely awful. The use of auto tuning is so obvious, I can't get over it. How hard is it to get someone that can sing on key?