• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

(This has to be one of the most subversive and visually hilarious kid's movie ever made.)

I was in college when that came out, and I remember catching it at a budget theater--and the next night, I went back. Really a great movie... wish they would release a DVD that was widescreen.

I was in college when that came out, and I remember catching it at a budget theater--and the next night, I went back. Really a great movie... wish they would release a DVD that was widescreen.

Agatha Trunchbull might be the greatest villain ever to "grace" the screen. :heehee

I dunno if it's landed over in the States yet, but Margot At The Wedding is about to be released in the UK. Has anyone seen it? And how does it compare to Noah Baumbach's previous film, The Squid And the Whale. I was big fan of that, but I guess I'm a little bit worried that it's success may mean Margot loses its way and becomes something of a starry, small scale, low budget, vanity piece (Nicole Kidman, Jack Black).

I dunno if it's landed over in the States yet, but Margot At The Wedding is about to be released in the UK. Has anyone seen it? And how does it compare to Noah Baumbach's previous film, The Squid And the Whale. I was big fan of that, but I guess I'm a little bit worried that it's success may mean Margot loses its way and becomes something of a starry, small scale, low budget, vanity piece (Nicole Kidman, Jack Black).

Still in limited release in the states.

I saw the trailer a month or so ago. I loved the look of the film, and like The Squid and the Whale, there is a startling realism in the dialogue. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Anyone have a thought on why 2 episodes out of 3 on a dvd would not player on my DVD player, but would play on my computer?

That is, the first episode on the disc played fine on the dvd player, and the next two would not - but they would play using the dvd player on my compuer. This is a multi disc TV show set (Highlander) - and so far, that is the first problem I have had.

cover_wilbywonderful.jpg

Wilby Wonderful / Daniel MacIvor / Canada / 2004

Pretty terrible. The story concerns 24 hours on the tiny island community of Wilby, where a bunch of people experience life and mystery and, you know, deal with stuff. Despite the occasional aside about "islanders" and "mainlanders," the movie has no sense of place; scenes have ideas but no shape; the tone is frequently off; and the evocation of bigotry feels lifted from a bad Fifties melodrama rather than modern America. The movie hits false note after false note. Even the title is overly cutesy--"we'll be wonderful," get it?

syndromes-century-2.jpg

Syndromes and a Century / Thailand / 2006

To my eyes, Apichatpong Weerasethakul is one of the most inexplicably compelling filmmakers alive.

First time seeing this again since it came out. It's not only held up well, it's even better than I remembered.

I haven't seen that since it came out, and I've been meaning to revisit it for years. At the time, I thought it was easily one of the best of the year. Good to know you think it holds up. Have you seen Jindabyne, the recent Australian movie based on the same Carver story about the fishing buddies?

I haven't seen that since it came out, and I've been meaning to revisit it for years. At the time, I thought it was easily one of the best of the year. Good to know you think it holds up. Have you seen Jindabyne, the recent Australian movie based on the same Carver story about the fishing buddies?

No - but now I recall seeing that trailer not long ago. Didn't make the connection. From what I remember, it looked heavier than anything Huey Lewis could handle :lol

Yeah, I was staggered last night at how enjoyable and moving Short Cuts is.

First time seeing this again since it came out. It's not only held up well, it's even better than I remembered.

Yeah I saw that a few months ago on campus, my creative writing class studied Carver last fall, I thought it was excellent. I loved Tom Waits in it.

--Mike