• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Have you seen Jindabyne, the recent Australian movie based on the same Carver story about the fishing buddies?

Now, that is a great movie. Unheralded and almost passed me by but I am glad I caught it.

I just watched A Charlie Brown Christmas last night, out of season I know but you gotta love the Peanuts gang.

snoopy%20charlie%20brown%20christmas%20tree.jpg

Watched this last night, and I have to say I am a little disappointed. Still humorous, but nowhere near Tenenbaums or Life Aquatic. And, every time I hear Owen Wilson's voice I have the urge to watch Bottle Rocket. Oh, Dignan, you and your crazy schemes!!!

darjeeling-limited-poster.jpg

I just watched A Charlie Brown Christmas last night, out of season I know but you gotta love the Peanuts gang.

snoopy%20charlie%20brown%20christmas%20tree.jpg

Holy cosmos - last night we heard the soundtrack to that at our local burrito joint. I was surprisingly pleased to hear it, out of season.

I'm going to have to watch Jindabyne. Dig Short Cuts, dig Carver, and have always had a thing for Gabriel Byrne so I'm sure I'll like it.

This was cool:

"Parallel Worlds, Parallel Lives"

Mark Everett, frontman and composer of The Eels and a compelling character in his own right, takes a journey to understand his late father, quantum physicist Hugh Everett - a man whose theories were ignored or ridiculed at first, but who is now described by some as being as important as Einstein.

parallel460.jpg

And for tonight, a classic:

393px-Meaningoflife.jpg

That eels thing is pretty cool for a doc about science! :lol

He comes across as a kind of lonely, obsessed guy...a lot like his dad I thought even though he didn't seem to see it himself.

That eels thing is pretty cool for a doc about science! :lol
Whatchu talkin 'bout?! Science docs are teh cooooolest!!

This marathon on the History Channel is helping me deal with my flu-induced banishment to a blanket cave on the sofa today:

universe_historychannel.jpg

Dark matter, supernovas, Big Bang, yaaaay!! :yay

chalk.jpg

Chalk might not be a great movie, but I think anyone who teaches high school will appreciate how it gets so many minor details right. I laughed out loud a few times.

Watched this last night, and I have to say I am a little disappointed. Still humorous, but nowhere near Tenenbaums or Life Aquatic. And, every time I hear Owen Wilson's voice I have the urge to watch Bottle Rocket. Oh, Dignan, you and your crazy schemes!!!

darjeeling-limited-poster.jpg

I bought it this week, though I have a feeling I'm going to have to buy it again if Criterion can get the rights for it. I agree that it's not quite as funny as some of his others, but I think it's an incredible film, and really enjoyed it. I think it's his simplest film since Bottle Rocket and there's an emotional rawness in parts of the movie that really appealed to me. Though I must say, I love everything he's put out, and I'm a bit of an Anderson sycophant.

--Mike

Yeah, I thought it was second only to Tenenbaums, myself. There's a plainspoken beauty to a lot of the shots, the colour composition is astonishing, and the fractured family dynamic indeed reminded me of Tenenbaums quite often.

Maybe I like it even more than Tenenbaums, actually. I'm not sure yet. I think it was largely overlooked simply because it was released in 2007 (or, the new 1974).

My wife and I went the IMAX on the weekend and saw both the Sea Monsters and the Safari 3D shows, and both were very cool. During Sea Monsters there were several times where I actually moved my head out of the way as the fish were swimming by. The double feature was $12 a person, well worth it.

My dad likes that movie.

Saw The Savages this weekend. Effective, at times plodding, study of two siblings caring for their demented elderly father, who abandoned them decades earlier. Particularly remarkable was the non-romanticized take on the gifted kids of emotionally broken families cliche. Excellent acting throughout - I could watch Philip Seymour Hoffman and Laura Linney all day.

Tonight:

lust_caution_500.jpg

Can anyone recommend a good TV series? That's really all I've been in the mood for lately, but I have no idea where to go next. I've been through all the HBO shows, Lost, Twin Peaks and have just finished Freaks & Geeks. Any other good ones?

What did you think of this, I've been considering checking it out?

Well, I'm a big Six Feet Under fan, so I thought I'd check it out. I was pleasantly surprised. The character development is second to none. If you are a fan of Nancy Oliver, check it out. Hell...check it out anyway! What else is out there worth seeing?