natalie jane / st. genevieve

Holy shit. I was on vacation last week and for some reason I just noticed this pinned thread tonight. I didn't even want to open the damn thing. Using her given name in the post was an ominous hint as to what I would find inside.

I don't even know how to react this. I'm gutted and I've never even met Nat in person. But, like so many of you wonderful people, I feel as if I've known her forever. She had the most amazing sense of humor and never ceased to make me laugh. I cheered every time I saw one of her tin foil sculptures draped across a musician's neck. We gushed incessantly over The Decemberists and have matching posters that are too long to actually hang anywhere. When my grandfather passed away a few years ago she sent me the most wonderfully uplifting message.

I just always assumed I'd meet her for real one day. Life is a fleeting moment, and we all tend to forget how fragile it is while we live our day to day lives. We often say "someday", when we should really focus more on "I think I'm going to do it NOW". Nat was obviously one of those rare people who said "I think I'm going to do it NOW" throughout her life. She is going to be eternally remembered by so many people, whether it's for a lifetime friendship, the coach during a child's birth, or for a Sentient Action Figure story from years ago. We will all remember.

I hope to someday be admitted through the gates of Natopia (I am Official Historian, y'know) so I can finally meet you.

Rest in peace, Nat. You're a tin foil superstar.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was standing beside my album shelf tonight, beside Natalie's tinfoil gods and goddesses, and was struck all over again at how much I miss her. I could picture her hands shaping the tinfoil folds of my beautiful little sculptures. It left me reflecting again on how surprising it is, what lives on beyond us to capture our personal energy. Natalie, you left so much behind. I love you and miss you, and will always remember you through these silly but gorgeous little sculptures.

I'll remember you in so many other ways as well. I hope I live half as intense and intentional a life. You made a lot of people happy from knowing you....that's a terrific legacy, sweetie. :cheekkiss

hello all,

natalie's family has asked that i share this information with her friends.

in lieu of flowers, her parents would prefer that her friends donate to whichever charity they like that is medical/health/birth related that would honor natalie's life. they plan to make their own donation to planned parenthood. they are grateful to anyone who wants to do this.

if you would like to leave her family a message, you can do so at the guest book that is available online where her obituary is posted:

http://obits.mlive.com/AnnArbor/DeathNotic...sonID=101292222

for those who are still wondering about cause of death, we are still waiting to hear from the medical examiner. hopefully we'll know soon.

• 2 weeks later...

One of her friends actually has her computer. I should try and contact this person and see if she can find the file and we can make it available to those of you who would like to have it.

I was reading a book the other day and there was a segment about how when someone we know dies, and they live far away, it's hard to not imagine them continuing with their life. Their death doesn't seem as "real" somehow. For me, this has been a very real concept. It has been in the last couple weeks where I come across things I really want to talk Natalie about that her absence really sinks in. The last week has been harder than most.

I really miss Natalie.

after a month of wondering how our friend passed away, her parents finally received the death certificate and medical records this week.

natalie's official cause of death was viral myocarditis, a virus triggered by the flu that she had. it basically attacks the lining of the heart. if you google the term, there is more information on the internet about viral myocarditis.

it is now clear and apparent that the hospital did not give natalie the proper care while she was there. many of us suspected this, but to have it confirmed is very painful and sad :(. her family will be looking into this further for more answers. sorry to be the bearer of sad news. :(

How sad. Damn. Thanks for letting us know.

Thanks for the news on this. I had been wondering about this in recent days, since there seems no logical reason (there are plenty of illogical ones of course) for someone so young to have passed away after receiving medical attention. I know this is tacky, but someone needs to sue. If she had that serious an illness and was not admitted for long term care, that is really dreadful.

LouieB

devastating - just devastating. Thank you for the update.

I am disgusted that she did not get the treatment she needed.

I have been wearing this medallion everyday since Robin and I had our memorial. Natalie will never be forgotten. I miss her so much.

CCX729-25SS_sm.jpg

Thanks for the update, Mel. This news is just sickening. So completely and utterly senseless.

Ever since Natalie passed, I have seen more Flying Spaghetti Monsters than I've ever seen in my life. They seem to be everywhere all of a sudden. Makes me miss her a lot.

This is truly heartbreaking. :( More vibes and comforting thoughts going out to everyone...Mel, thank you so much for keeping Nat's VC family in the know too...it means a lot. I hope those closest to Nat can find some peace (and justice) very soon.

We miss you, St. Genevieve. :cheekkiss