I'm really interested to hear the sounds this thing makes, but I don't know if dropping $300 is the solution just to hear what noises it comes up with. Anyone have any experience with this pedal, or come across anything online (besides Harmony Central)?

My impression has always been that the Slow Gear basically will give you a volume swell-type effect (this may be a bit of an oversimplification, but I think it's pretty accurate). Guyatone makes a micro effect version of the Slow Gear called the Slow Volume. They're about $80 new. I think that there's a Behringer version of the Slow Gear in their latest batch of Boss knockoff pedals, and that would probably be even cheaper than the Guyatone.

My impression has always been that the Slow Gear basically will give you a volume swell-type effect (this may be a bit of an oversimplification, but I think it's pretty accurate). Guyatone makes a micro effect version of the Slow Gear called the Slow Volume. They're about $80 new. I think that there's a Behringer version of the Slow Gear in their latest batch of Boss knockoff pedals, and that would probably be even cheaper than the Guyatone.

Excellent run down. I'd also add that there's a swell function on the Line6 Tone Core Echo Park for around $110 new as well as the Line6 Delay Modeler for around $250 new. Both pedals also have a backwards delay function if you want to skip the imitation and go straight for the real(ish) thing.