Tower Theatre Show

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going, not sure too much about the area. I know the venue itself holds only 1600 which I think is great!

I'm hoping to meet up w/ Raspberryjam & her husband, sweetheart and yankeefox. Care to join?!?

The Tower is a great place for Wilco to play, it holds about 3K (perhaps a bit more) and has two balconies. Great sight lines and I haven't seen a show that had bad sound there yet out of about ten. Sure it's seated, but I tend to like that a bit more, you have a spot that no one can take!

Sure it's seated, but I tend to like that a bit more, you have a spot that no one can take!

IMO, Once you go seated, you never go back.. Most seated theatres like the Tower have the best sound and really no bad seat in the house.. Yeah, you might be able to get closer at a ga show, but you don't have to worry about people bumping you around, and most theatres are slanted so you can see over the people in front of you better.

I'm actually not such a fan of the venue. I saw Regina Spektor there a few months ago, and could barely hear her (not to mention the high school kids behind me singing along loudly! ARGH!) It's not a terrible place, but very packed, and the lobbies can be a little bit insane during entry/exits/pauses... but I guess everywhere is like that. Wilco would probably be better there than Regina, haha. She's great, but not loud enough to make it okay to be forced to sit near people who are talking/singing loudly. :P

The sound at the Tower is well above average and probably closer to "great" than "above average". Neil Young recently played the Tower and brought Jonathan Demme along to video the two show run. The local paper indicated that this was the only venue Demme was filming due to the exceptional sound and the intimacy of the Tower. Neil plays the Tower everytime he does a solo acoustic tour. Definitely a sit-down show, which I personally find disappointing and constricting. I prefer a combination of both. Everyone knows when you want to get up a move a bit - those should be standing songs and others can be sit down and watch tunes.

As for the area around the venue - it's dreadful. The Tower is just outside the city limits of Philly and borders West Philadelphia - not an area you want to walk around at night. The area directly around the venue is safe, but there isn't much happening in terms of bars and restaurants. My recommendation would be to either cruise down to Penn's campus (around 36th and Chestnut) and hit a bar/restaurant. Or, you can hit up this dive bar right acroos the street from the Tower in a tiny alley (diagonally across from where the tour buses park). The dive bar is pretty crappy, but is great in terms of location. I don't know the name of it, despite having been there dozens of times - but, my buddies and I call it the "Fried Bar" because everything there is generally fried - including the bartender.

Another note that the venue is about a block of less from the 69th Street Station, so you can party anywhere on the outskirts and hop on the train in and out. Look at the Septa web site for info, the trains run really late heading into center city, as well as out to the suburbs. That's honestly the easiest way to handle any trip there. I would not advise you to walk around Upper Darby looking for a good time, it's a shithole.

Hey wait! This said Shubert Theater when I replied. What the heck?!?

i got very very confused, i have tickets to both. shubert in the one in new haven that i live right next to. tower is in philly.

:(

The sound at the Tower is well above average and probably closer to "great" than "above average". Neil Young recently played the Tower and brought Jonathan Demme along to video the two show run. The local paper indicated that this was the only venue Demme was filming due to the exceptional sound and the intimacy of the Tower. Neil plays the Tower everytime he does a solo acoustic tour. Definitely a sit-down show, which I personally find disappointing and constricting. I prefer a combination of both. Everyone knows when you want to get up a move a bit - those should be standing songs and others can be sit down and watch tunes.

As for the area around the venue - it's dreadful. The Tower is just outside the city limits of Philly and borders West Philadelphia - not an area you want to walk around at night. The area directly around the venue is safe, but there isn't much happening in terms of bars and restaurants. My recommendation would be to either cruise down to Penn's campus (around 36th and Chestnut) and hit a bar/restaurant. Or, you can hit up this dive bar right acroos the street from the Tower in a tiny alley (diagonally across from where the tour buses park). The dive bar is pretty crappy, but is great in terms of location. I don't know the name of it, despite having been there dozens of times - but, my buddies and I call it the "Fried Bar" because everything there is generally fried - including the bartender.

i got very very confused, i have tickets to both. shubert in the one in new haven that i live right next to. tower is in philly.

:(

I KNEW you lived in CT and I was confused as to why you asked. Anyways, we'll discuss it more in a later REAL NH thread I'm sure :thumbup

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone gotten their tickets delivered yet for this show?

Yes a couple weeks ago. First time to see the boys in my hometown, very excited. :monkey

I'll be there. My ticket arrived while I was away for the holidays. I'm coming in from about four hours away, so after the show I may just start driving back and stop when I get tired instead of staying in Philly overnight.

I have a question about seating. My ticket says "left orchestra" but has no section--is that the smaller section all the way to the left, or the larger half of the orchestra? I'm so excited that I'm going to be up relatively close (I'm row LL) on Nels's side. That's exactly where I wanted to be!

Hello everyone, first time poster as I have just found this forum, but plan on hanging around for a little bit since I see there are plenty of fellow Wilco fans here!

Anyhow, I live in Philadelphia and was one of the very unlucky ones unable to grab tickets to this Wilco show. Now I am left to scanning craigslist, looking over scalpers prices, trying to find a price that I think is reasonable (not easy!).

Sooo, I figured I would reach out on here to see if there is anyone out there with 2 extra tickets to the show that they wouldn't mind selling? Ideally I would want to pay face value, but I am willing to entertain slightly inflated prices. Really desperate here, as Wilco is one of my favorite bands and I can't believe they are going to play in my home town and I won't be able to catch them. Help a fellow Wilco fan out!

Feel free to PM my on here or the following addresses:

Aim: gkitt90

gmail/gtalk: kittrg@gmail.com

And finally, thank you in advance to anyone who even considers helping me out!

• 3 weeks later...