First LRS 1/12/08

Once we figure out who is going to go, we divide into groups of four or five or soloist's playing with Jeff. We then send about about a million emails out and let our favorite pedal steel player edit it down to a few songs per group. Jeff gets to reject any song he doesn't want to do. He usually is very willing to try to play just about anything. He only refused one song the first year, Uncle Tupelo's "No Sense In Loving". Ken talked him into playing it and it is still one of my favorites. This year he offered to micro manage it as a joke. We can come up with some weird unlikely combinations of songs.

That was the first time I ever heard that song, as well as Long Time Ago

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

30, officially.

Unofficial totals have yet to be released.

Jeff and Sue brought one of their friends. How cool is that?

Ken, your new avatar is cool, but it's missing the little silver hearts!

:ohwell Sorry, the video is for private use only. That is the deal we made with Jeff so we can film it. It is distributed to just the people that were there.

Of course. I understand.

The LRS I attended last year was a magical experience. I have always been particularly enamored with the Old Town event though, because it is close to the Celtic idea of a great bard standing in a circle with other tremendous players and teaching each other tunes. I love the synergy in that!

Ken, your new avatar is cool, but it's missing the little silver hearts!

:lol She means the copy Jeff autographed for me. That picture was taken at the Old Town School 50th Anniversary show, where some photographer managed to snap Jeff smiling at a weird angle where it looks like he's fawning over me. Jeff made a comment about it, so when he autographed it, he put these little hearts over his head and some lines indicating a directional gaze at me. It's really pretty funny. If I could figure out how to get it onto my computer, I'd post it.

:lol She means the copy Jeff autographed for me. That picture was taken at the Old Town School 50th Anniversary show, where some photographer managed to snap Jeff smiling at a weird angle where it looks like he's fawning over me. Jeff made a comment about it, so when he autographed it, he put these little hearts over his head and some lines indicating a directional gaze at me. It's really pretty funny. If I could figure out how to get it onto my computer, I'd post it.

Scanner :shifty

I'll bet you can take it to Kinkos and they can scan and prolly just email the file. Or there's probably a scanner at your office :)

where were all you Wilco Ensemble people when i was going to the Old Town School of Folk Music?

i didn't meet anyone that was any too cool...

Well, y'all need to start taking classes again. It's gotten much cooler since they started the Wilco Ensemble. B)

Scanner :shifty

I'll bet you can take it to Kinkos and they can scan and prolly just email the file. Or there's probably a scanner at your office :)

You give me WAY too much credit. I can't even boot up my computer most days :dontgetit I know we don't have a color scanner at work, and the closest Kinkos is probably in Schaumburg. One of these days...

OK so I just "stumbled" onto this thread and I am burning with envy! WOW! At the same time I feel happy for the people who were there and the lovely people who made it happen. I know the only people who get a copy of the show are the people who were there ......but...........maybe?........ :dribble ?.......(reality).......... :frusty

OK so I just "stumbled" onto this thread and I am burning with envy! WOW! At the same time I feel happy for the people who were there and the lovely people who made it happen. I know the only people who get a copy of the show are the people who were there ......but...........maybe?........ :dribble ?.......(reality).......... :frusty

I was at the last 2 Wilco Ensemble living room shows but not this most recent one. I figured it was time to let some of the new ensemble members get the chance, so I joined several other ensemble "old-timers" who gave up their spots to make room for the newbies. (There's a limit of 30 people for these things.) And yes, while I feel it was the right thing to do, it was a painful decision. :heartbroken

Anyway, we have a professional AV guy in our group, an independent film maker, and a sound technician so we're lucky to have a great record of the events, edited beautifully and everything.

But sorry, no can share. Everybody has been really good about not letting the videos leak out. We promised Jeff, and we don't want to be jerks.

We can share photos. And maybe the audio. (Passenger, is the audio going to be shared?)

However, there might be a way. I'd say your best chance of seeing these videos is to follow these steps:

1. Learn to play an instrument (if you don't already play one. )

2. Move to Chicago

3. Sign up for the Wilco ensemble at the Old Town School of Folk Music

4. Buy beers for the long time members of the group

5. Go out for beers with the group after class.

6. Sign up for another (8 week) session (You must prove your dedication by showing up for more than one session before the old timers will accept you as one of the clan.)

7. Buy more beers for the old timers

8. Go out for more beers with the crew after class and get to know people

9. Ask about the living room show, and someone will most likely invite you over to see the DVD. Most of us have forced all of our friends to watch the stuff from previous years over and over and over. . . .

Actually, even if you don't care about the seeing DVD, I'd recommend following these steps!

Hmmmmm, perhaps there is a reason that the other Old Town School groups like the Grateful Dead Ensemble call the Wilco Ensemble the Wil-Cult. . . .

Of course, we call them "those dirty hippies."

(Kidding of course. I love those dirty hippies. :D )

I was at the last 2 Wilco Ensemble living room shows but not this most recent one. I figured it was time to let some of the new ensemble members get the chance, so I joined several other ensemble "old-timers" who gave up their spots to make room for the newbies. (There's a limit of 30 people for these things.) And yes, while I feel it was the right thing to do, it was a painful decision. :heartbroken

Anyway, we have a professional AV guy in our group, an independent film maker, and a sound technician so we're lucky to have a great record of the events, edited beautifully and everything.

But sorry, no can share. Everybody has been really good about not letting the videos leak out. We promised Jeff, and we don't want to be jerks.

We can share photos. And maybe the audio. (Passenger, is the audio going to be shared?)

However, there might be a way. I'd say your best chance of seeing these videos is to follow these steps:

1. Learn to play an instrument (if you don't already play one. )

2. Move to Chicago

3. Sign up for the Wilco ensemble at the Old Town School of Folk Music

4. Buy beers for the long time members of the group

5. Go out for beers with the group after class.

6. Sign up for another (8 week) session (You must prove your dedication by showing up for more than one session before the old timers will accept you as one of the clan.)

7. Buy more beers for the old timers

8. Go out for more beers with the crew after class and get to know people

9. Ask about the living room show, and someone will most likely invite you over to see the DVD. Most of us have forced all of our friends to watch the stuff from previous years over and over and over. . . .

Actually, even if you don't care about the seeing DVD, I'd recommend following these steps!

Hmmmmm, perhaps there is a reason that the other Old Town School groups like the Grateful Dead Ensemble call the Wilco Ensemble the Wil-Cult. . . .

Of course, we call them "those dirty hippies."

(Kidding of course. I love those dirty hippies. :D )

So 4 out of the 9 steps involve beer. Can you like buy the beers but not actually drink one yerself. Or maybe buy real beers for the "oldtimers" and drink root beer yerself . . . I mean, I could probably drink a non-alcoholic beer cept they're for non-alcoholics . . . maybe you could grandfather a clause for wharf rats . . .

i mean, shit, we got 12 steps and only the first half of the first step involves alcohol . . .

So 4 out of the 9 steps involve beer. Can you like buy the beers but not actually drink one yerself. Or maybe buy real beers for the "oldtimers" and drink root beer yerself . . . I mean, I could probably drink a non-alcoholic beer cept they're for non-alcoholics . . . maybe you could grandfather a clause for wharf rats . . .

i mean, shit, we got 12 steps and only the first half of the first step involves alcohol . . .

You don't necessarily have to do the beer thing. I'm too young to do the whole beer thing but I've still been invited to do the living room shows. What you really need to do is sign up for the sessions, be enthusiastic, and not be a jerk.

yep, substituting root beer, diet coke, or whatever, for beer in any of the recommended steps is totally acceptable. :thumbup

chisoxjtrain boiled it down just right. sign up, bring some enthusiasm for the tunes, and play well with others, and you'll be a regular member of the crew before you know it.

oh, i'd only add that you've gotta be able to play an instrument.

Audo from last year's show was streamed over bittorrent without objection from the Tweedys. I assume it will happen again this year. But seriously, the best way to see it is to befriend someone who was there. I guarantee they will show you their performance repeatedly until you puke.

Many thanks, again, to Steph and the other "old timers" who gave up their spots so the "newbies" could have a chance. You guys are saints.

Oh, and speaking of photos...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2014...amp;id=54300398