First LRS 1/12/08

Audo from last year's show was streamed over bittorrent without objection from the Tweedys. I assume it will happen again this year. But seriously, the best way to see it is to befriend someone who was there. I guarantee they will show you their performance repeatedly until you puke.

Many thanks, again, to Steph and the other "old timers" who gave up their spots so the "newbies" could have a chance. You guys are saints.

Oh, and speaking of photos...

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2014...amp;id=54300398

I'm glad the new guys could get a chance! Looks like you all had a blast!

I feel lucky I've been able to do it twice! :D

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"old timers" who gave up their spots so the "newbies" could have a chance

That's one of the nicest things I've heard in a long time. Truly--that's a generous move.

Same here, very glad some newbies were able to enjoy themselves!

Hey, it gets paid forward :cheers

Seriously, precious little has been said about how the OTS Wilco Ensemble maintains its own comraderie in the Wilco community. You can see by the posting numbers how infrequently most members contribute to this forum, but that doesn't mean that they aren't supporting Jeff and Wilco and their projects and the interests they champion. They will be in attendance at any Wilco-related show in the area (and some quite far off -- I'm going to be in Melbourne with my daughter in March!!), as well as those of anything related to Wilco, including the sub-groups spun off from the Ensemble itself. It's a massive Wilco-induced lovefest, and all devoted to the music and encouraging people to play it. The non-ensemble members who have attended this event (including some VCers who have attended other LRS shows) have remarked how much they have enjoyed seeing Jeff in this environment. He's like a kid playing his own songs with his garage band. He brought 5 guitars to this show (3 acoustic; 2 electric) plus his own amp (a tricked out rig with some kind of volume adjustment modification that he explained, but I couldn't understand). He goes way beyond the two hour time limit supposedly set for these shows. Sue has to drag him out (but this year, she had a friend to help pass the time, so it went even longer). We are so fortunate to have his support, which makes it so important that everybody gets a chance to experience it at least once. Thanks again to those who shared.

You dudes ever play Fatal Wound? That's probably my favorite Jeff UT song.

I think the only UT songs we've done are Acuff-Rose, New Madrid and We've Been Had.

Although some of the ensemble members know how to play Gun and a bunch of other UT songs.

We've played Just a Kid at the Old Town School, and we tried Hey Chicken, but never quite got the rhythm right on that one.

The ensemble has now gone through every regular Wilco album, and performed them all. With each album, the material gets more challenging!

I think the only UT songs we've done are Acuff-Rose, New Madrid and We've Been Had.

Although some of the ensemble members know how to play Gun and a bunch of other UT songs.

We've played Just a Kid at the Old Town School, and we tried Hey Chicken, but never quite got the rhythm right on that one.

The ensemble has now gone through every regular Wilco album, and performed them all. With each album, the material gets more challenging!

I think we also did the Ruling Class, but I may be wrong, yankee?

I'd go for Fatal Wound and Wherever.

I just started Guitar 1 at the Old Town School - how good do I have to get before I can join the Wilco Ensemble? :lol

Cool!

Wait until you get at least through with guitar 3 and are comfortable with bar chords and have a basic grasp of fingerboard theory. Otherwise, you'd be totally lost.

But with guitar 1 under your belt, you're on your way! You'll be able to strum some of the basic Wilco tunes in no time!

Cool!

Wait until you get at least through with guitar 3 and are comfortable with bar chords and have a basic grasp of fingerboard theory. Otherwise, you'd be totally lost.

But with guitar 1 under your belt, you're on your way! You'll be able to strum some of the basic Wilco tunes in no time!

Nice! See you all...well, maybe by the end of the year.

The first thing I did after I started the class was print out a bunch of Wilco tabs :P

Nice! See you all...well, maybe by the end of the year.

The first thing I did after I started the class was print out a bunch of Wilco tabs :P

Awesome! Keep on practicing and maybe we'll be seeing you in future sessions!

i'll take Gun or Wait Up anyday

The Wilco Ensemble is working on Gun and is planning to perform it this Friday at the Old Town School on Lincoln! I'm not in the class this session, but just heard the news from the group's drummer.

It's "First Friday" at the Old Town School this week, which is sort of an open house with a showcase of student groups, and open jam sessions going on in various rooms. It's a lot of fun! If you ever thought of trying out a class at the Old Town School, it's a fun chance to drop in and see what goes on.

The Wilco ensemble will play a couple of tunes in the student ensemble showcase in the main auditorium.

• 3 weeks later...
The Wilco Ensemble is working on Gun and is planning to perform it this Friday at the Old Town School on Lincoln! I'm not in the class this session, but just heard the news from the group's drummer.

It's "First Friday" at the Old Town School this week, which is sort of an open house with a showcase of student groups, and open jam sessions going on in various rooms. It's a lot of fun! If you ever thought of trying out a class at the Old Town School, it's a fun chance to drop in and see what goes on.

The Wilco ensemble will play a couple of tunes in the student ensemble showcase in the main auditorium.

Hey, John here.

Yep, we ended up doing it at First Friday. Supposedly we're also going to do it at the graduation gig. Fun song.

And back on topic, it was my first living room show this year, and I only got to attend because of the gracious old-timers in the group like Yankee who made room for others. It was an incredibly generous move (only compounded by Passenger's incredible generosity as well in hosting the show), and I'll be grateful every day for it. Truly the biggest thrill of my life.

• 2 months later...